XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Backlighting on OEM Alpine radio, fade in or not?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 11:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts
Question Backlighting on OEM Alpine radio, fade in or not?

Need a quick confirmation from those that still have the stock Jaguar (Alpine 9500A) radio: Does the radio white/green backlighting "fade" on or cut on immediately when headlights are turned on and the other interior instrument lights come on?

I had my radio rebuilt by Southern Electronics, and when the radio was returned the radio white/green backlighting now "fades" on (and the various red button LEDs dim as expected) when I turn on the headlights. But all of the other interior guage/control lighting (e.g. AirCon, clock module, instruments) all come on immediately. So it is a bit of an odd contrast to have all other instrument lighting pop on immediately, and the radio lighting "fade" on.

Since my radio never had working backlighting since I owned it, I don't know what its normal behavior is. So before I contact Southern Electronics to inquire, I thought I'd verify here how the radio backlighting behaves.

Much appreciated.

Old 09-21-2015, 08:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts

OK, answered my own question, and the answer is yes the OEM radio backlighting "fade" on/off when the interior lighting is switched on/off.

I forgot I had another OEM radio that has good backlighting, and upon testing I find that it fades instead of a sharp cut on/off too. So looks like the fade on/off is normal for the radio.

As an aside, the folks at Southern Electronics forgot to put one of the blue bulb filters on the light behind the on/off/volume knob, so instead of green it glows the same orange as the gauge needles (speedometer, tach, etc). I thought about sending it back, but I think it is growing on me as it highlights the location of the main radio knob, kinda almost "custom" but looks factory since the orange is a match

Last edited by al_roethlisberger; 09-21-2015 at 08:17 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Don B (09-29-2015)