XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Car shuts off in idle, hesitates on acceleration, please help :(

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 04:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car shuts off in idle, hesitates on acceleration, please help :(

i everyone for about the last month, I have had this problem urking my nerves. When I start the car, the idle acts kind of funny it stays around 10RPM but the engine makes a funny noise, like it wants to loose power. So when I go udner the hood and mess with the throttle, it feels like theres a slight delay after the throttle is pressed, not sure if thats normal? But anywho, if I keep pressing the throttle with my hand eventually the engine will stall and shut off. That is what is happening on idle. Now when driving, if I am at a red light or stop sign, and I begin to accelerate, the cars check engine light will turn on for a quick second or 2, the car will jerk and hesitate, and keep driving like there is no problem. If it jerks BAD ENOUGH, a transmission light will come on. And when this light comes on, the car begins to surge, like letting my foot go off the gas the car wont decelerate for a good 4-5 seconds, and when coming to a stop the RPMS take a few seconds to reach back down to 10.
I have went to a local shop that works on Jaguars and has the Jaguar software, and the gentleman pulled a tps code and a maf code. I replaced both, and the problem still exists. I have also changed the EGR Valve, fuel regulator, and fuel pump, no luck there. I have did a oil change, spark plus, 6 new coils, new valve cover and valve cover gasket set and a fuel filter and still seems like nothing is helping me. Has anyone experienced anything like this?? I was thinking the CAT Converter, but took it to a local muffler shop and they said the CAT Being so small, that it wouldn't cause problems like this. If anyone can help me out I would appriciate it, or send me in the right direction. Thank You, God bless

Old 08-03-2011, 05:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you ever had the Throttle Body cleaned? How many miles on the car?

Could also try a can of seafoam or 44k in the gas tank to see if that smooths things out. You listed ALOT of things to replace without improving the symptom, could be something really simple. Maybe an intake leak?

Old 08-04-2011, 12:32 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Idle Air Control Valve

I had the same problem, surge/stall/transmission light.
This happened 2 weeks after I bought the car and scared me.

It was the Idle Air Control Valve and it only required cleaning.
My car was previously owned by seniors who only drove 6,000 miles a year.

Did you drive your car every day?
If it sits inactive for long periods, things can clog up.

What grade of gas do you use?
Since my problem 4 years ago, I only run Chevron 94 and I add a fuel cleaner at every oil change.

I haven't had this stalling problem since.

Thanks,
Kevin

PS.
What brand ignition coils did you use?
What plugs are you running?