XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

A challenge for the technicians – Emissions adventure

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 05:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,351 Likes on 926 Posts
Default A challenge for the technicians – Emissions adventure

I originally posted this in the XJS forum, but due to the AJ16 also used in the X300, thought to post here too.
Perhaps there are some active forum members who want to bite .

I live in Taiwan, where XJS’s can be counted on less than two hands, and 2nd hands are rare or non-existing.
Imports are legally possible, but any car needs to pass individual testing, and must fulfill the present (2016) emission regulations to get a legal car-license.
That is the equivalent to Euro 4 at the moment.

So here is my problem:
I can buy a 1995 XJS Convertible, 4 liter with AJ16 engine, ~120.000 miles (the only one here).

The car was imported some 3 years ago from the US (probably California, not sure), all duties were paid, but the owner never bothered to get the license.
I presume he tried but failed, and as he has several other Jags, just swapped license plates from his topaz x300 if he wanted to take her for a spin.

The catch is, he is not willing to be bothered with obtaining the license, or make the car-purchase related to it, so if I buy the car, it is my problem.

I know that some older imported cars (non Jaguar) have passed in the recent years, but that was mostly due to relations, which seems to be harder now.
I also know some ‘importers’ made / make modifications to the cars the bring in, I guess in intake and exhaust.

I know some of these guys, but refrained from contacting them until I got a clear picture myself.
It is Chinese New Year here, so I got some time to reflect.

I realize that there are additional costs involved for the emission issue, and willing to cough them up if it will bring success.
Of course, this can also easily be a money pit, where I keep paying ppl. to arrange things, only to fail again ….
That is what I need to prevent.

So, before I go any further, does any of you with experience in emissions have any idea if this is only a wild dream, or if it can be done?
The first thing should be what the emission requirements were in 1995 for a AJ16 in the USA.

Thanks a lot for any reply, I really appreciate your input.

Eric
PS1.I have more detailed info on the exact emission requirements, but I don’t want to clog this thread in my first post.

Name:  c56c6129-6bfb-4879-9df0-442c5e5e62a6.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  111.4 KB

Old 02-05-2016, 07:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,750 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by ericjansen
[I]
I realize that there are additional costs involved for the emission issue, and willing to cough them up if it will bring success.
Of course, this can also easily be a money pit, where I keep paying ppl. to arrange things, only to fail again ….
That is what I need to prevent.

So, before I go any further, does any of you with experience in emissions have any idea if this is only a wild dream, or if it can be done?

Are you asking if an XJS can repaired so as to meet emission standards?

I don't see why not. But, yes, it can run into some money, depending on the nature of the defect that is causing the failure.

Have the car tested and post the results here. Somebody will come along and help.

Cheers
DD

Old 02-05-2016, 08:13 AM
Veteran Member

Doug,

Nothing is broken, perhaps I made it too complicated.

The question is if the AJ16 engine will meet Euro 4 requirements, or can be modified temporarily to meet them.

Eric

Old 02-05-2016, 08:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

And, you mean can the AJ16 meet CURRENT Euro 4, right?

Old 02-05-2016, 09:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,750 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Nothing is broken, perhaps I made it too complicated.

The question is if the AJ16 engine will meet Euro 4 requirements, or can be modified temporarily to meet them.

Oh....Ok, now I understand.

I dunno the answer BUT if the previous owner's 1995 X300/AJ16 was licensed and met the Euro 4 standards I don't see any reason the XJS/AJ16 couldn't do the same.

How do Euro 4 standards compare to USA standards? I'm inclined to think USA standards were more demanding than any other ROW standards....and if the car was imported from the USA you'd probably be OK

If the purchase of the car hinges on this then I'd say to the seller "Let's take the car down to the inspection/testing facility. I'll pay for the test. If it meets emission requirements, I'll buy it. If it doesn't, I won't"

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
Don B (02-05-2016)
Old 02-05-2016, 05:46 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sparkenzap
And, you mean can the AJ16 meet CURRENT Euro 4, right?
Exact! That with some modifications or fiddling if needed, to pass the initial test.

Originally Posted by Doug
I dunno the answer BUT if the previous owner's 1995 X300/AJ16 was licensed and met the Euro 4 standards I don't see any reason the XJS/AJ16 couldn't do the same.
Doug, his X300 passed the (much lower) tests in 1996 when the car was sold in Taiwan. That is why our choices are basically limited to the older cars which already have a license from long time ago.

Originally Posted by Doug
If the purchase of the car hinges on this then I'd say to the seller "Let's take the car down to the inspection/testing facility. I'll pay for the test. If it meets emission requirements, I'll buy it. If it doesn't, I won't"
As mentioned, he is not interested in that.
Actually he does not care if he sells the car or not.

Old 02-05-2016, 10:34 PM
Received 12,726 Likes on 6,374 Posts

Eric,

We know there are plenty of AJ16 engines still running on U.K. and European roads today, some of which belong to members of this forum. So if the XJS is operating properly, it could almost certainly comply, or be made to comply, with Euro 4/Taiwan standards. Even more likely if it once complied with California standards, which are typically the most stringent in the world.

But you don't know if the car is operating properly, and the seller seems intent on preventing you from knowing until you own the car. That sends the needle on my fraud meter straight to the red WALK AWAY zone.

Doug's suggestion of making the purchase contingent on the car passing the emissions test is perfectly reasonable. A seller unwilling to submit the car to a perfectly reasonable request is either a sociopath, intent on committing fraud, or both. In any case, I would absolutely not purchase the car before it passed every test required to be legally driven.

My two cents!

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 02-05-2016 at 10:48 PM.
Old 02-06-2016, 01:58 AM
Received 87 Likes on 67 Posts

Don someone will correct me if I'm wrong but a 20 year old car in the UK has to meet standards that were relevant at the time of manufacture not those prevailing now. For example my old Range Rover with a 1974 V8 in it was 'visual check' so it always passed as the tester looked the wrong way. When I changed the engine I had to assure him it was still a 1974 engine which it was. Later engines were tested more formally.

If that's correct then my 1994/5 X300 passing it's MOT emission test would not imply it can pass current Euro 4 standards.

Mike

The following users liked this post:
Don B (02-06-2016)
Old 02-06-2016, 09:51 AM
Received 12,726 Likes on 6,374 Posts

Originally Posted by drmike
Don someone will correct me if I'm wrong but a 20 year old car in the UK has to meet standards that were relevant at the time of manufacture not those prevailing now. For example my old Range Rover with a 1974 V8 in it was 'visual check' so it always passed as the tester looked the wrong way. When I changed the engine I had to assure him it was still a 1974 engine which it was. Later engines were tested more formally.
If that's correct then my 1994/5 X300 passing it's MOT emission test would not imply it can pass current Euro 4 standards.

Mike, Thanks for the clarification! That is helpful knowledge.

For the record, our '93 XJ40 with an AJ6 has to pass most of the current Tennessee standards and always does. Since the car is pre-1996/OBDII, it doesn't have to have a computer scan, but the exhaust system is visually inspected for modifications and the exhaust gasses are analyzed. In fact, a few years ago the technician at the testing facility told me the emissions were incredibly low for such an old car.

BTW, I just saw a headline that an earthquake struck Tainan in Taiwan, collapsing a 17-story building and killing at least 12 people. Eric, prayers for you and the citizens of Taiwan. Please report in when you can and let us know how you are.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 02-06-2016 at 09:58 AM.
Old 02-07-2016, 04:25 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi there, I'll see If I can help, emissions used to be my job...until 2002 so I'm bit rusty. I had to help spec' the equipment required, the test regimes, the use, training and day to day running of the various emissions labs of the manufacturers for both Euro' an Federal (US) testing.

Ok, there are two sets of standards applied, those that a new car has to meet and those that an older car has to meet for a periodic inspection health check (the UK MOT) which are nowhere as stringent (they can't be due to cost) , more a look see to see if the is a 'gross emittor'...or dirty old dog.

Now, I think, but not sure, that some the asian countries apply the latest new model year standards to ANY car being imported into the country NOT the standard that was applicable at the time of the vehicles production....which makes things pretty much impossible for an older car to pass....you need to check this, things may have change...leading me onto to...

....you mention Euro 4 standards, well these were from model 2005 onwards and we are now up to Euro 6.

I seem to remember that your country used Federal (US) test procedues but were looking at adopting Euro?

Ok, I had a quick google and found this...

Importing a Vehicle

Find out how to import a car to Taiwan and get it registered on the roads and the documents required when bringing a car for personal use in Taiwan...

Importing a foreign car for personal use is not against the law in Taiwan. However, in reality the required inspections, taxes and duties make it difficult, time consuming and expensive to do. Taiwan is very protective of its own automotive industry. The tax burden to import a vehicle into Taiwan is high and Taiwanese customs advises people to be discreet about importing cars or motorcycles into the country.
Cars Which May be Imported

Since 2002 used and new vehicles manufactured in World Trade Organisation (WTO) countries can be imported into Taiwan. However, not all foreign cars can be imported into the country. The car should have been manufactured in accordance with Taiwanese regulations; otherwise it is difficult for a vehicle to pass the mandatory government inspection. Requirements are not limited to, but include:
  • The vehicle meeting EUR 4 emissions standards
  • The car being left hand drive
  • The car having a metric speedometer
Importing a Car

Individuals wishing to import a vehicle whose value exceeds US$20,000 need to apply for an import permit from the Board of Foreign Trade. No permit is needed for cars with a value lower than this. Once an imported vehicle has cleared customs it must meet further requirements before Certificates of Title are given:
  • Environmental protection inspection
  • Energy efficiency standard test
The Automotive Research and Testing Centre manages vehicle testing in Taiwan.
  • For more information on vehicle testing: Click here
Costs

Most people find that the cost of importing a car into Taiwan is too much to make it worthwhile. Costs include:
  • Import duty, which is levied at 17.5 percent of the customs value of the vehicle, which is itself a function of its make, model and age
  • VAT charged at 5 percent of the car's value plus import duty and commodity tax
  • Commodity tax. This depends on the size of the engine but is around 25-30 percent of the car's value
  • Business tax, which is calculated as 5 percent of the sum of the Customs value, Import Duty and Commodity Tax
  • Shipping and handling costs to get the car to Taiwan
  • Any corrections that need to be done to the car following the Taiwan government's inspection
Shipping

A car being shipped for import must be listed on a shipping inventory. This requires full details of the car including the make and model, registration details and the year. Most shipping companies require the following documents:
  • An original certificate of registration
  • An invoice or receipt that provides proof or purchase for the vehicle and states the amount paid for it
  • Passport
  • Insurance
  • A customs declaration
  • A work permit, valid for at least one year
Getting a Taiwanese Licence Plate

Applications for a Taiwanese Licence plate should be made at a local Motor Vehicle Office. The vehicle for which plates are being applied for will be inspected. The following documents will be required:
  • Proof of identity (Alien Resident Card, driving licence)
  • Two copies of the new licence plate registration certificate for automobiles or motorcycles that have passed the inspection
  • Customs clearance certificates for customs duties and tax
  • The vehicle manufacturer's certificate
  • The vehicle's VIN (Vehicle Identification Number)
A fee is charged to inspect the vehicle; the size of the fee depends on whether it is a motorcycle or a car. Large vehicles are charged more than small ones. There is also a charge for the licence plate, which is more for cars than for motorbikes.

If as I think you will need to meet Euro 4 (EUR 4?).

But first you need to know what market your car was originally built for, if it was California (CARB) market car the standards were tighter (and usually the beake horse power lower) than for the other '49' states...you need to do some research.

But, you need to know that a car that meets old Tier 1 Federal (or CARB) standards may not meet a Euro standard of the time, the euro levels were sort of higher'ish but the vehicle is developed to meet the requirements of a certain market. Its all a bit of a minefield.

I had a quick look at comparing 1995 Federal levels to Euro 4 (can't really be done but just for interest) and the CO pass level for US 1995 car of your weight were nearly 7 times higher than Euro 4 just for a start....converting measured gases to grams per km, THC (total hydrocarbons) 4 times lower and your car is no longer new so would be higher.

You really need to talk to someone whom has managed to get an old car registered for use in your country, there maybe an exception somewhere in the rules, if there isn't, I can't see how any older car would pass Euro 4 levels, it simply isn't going to happen if 'measured correctly'.

the above looks a mess but I've done my best for what is a very messy subject.

The following 2 users liked this post by iconic:
Don B (02-11-2016), ericjansen (02-07-2016)
Old 02-07-2016, 04:38 AM

errm, ohhh that's odd...that Emissions Test Lab' on the link has a picture of a Horiba MEXA-9000 series system gas analyser system...I can tell you now that system can't measure Euro 4 levels, they are a design from the late 1980's, going into the 1990's.....very good systems though but replaced by MEXA-7000 for Euro 4! There was a Low Emission (LE) upgrade kit but that one hasn't got it! It does measure methane (CH4) so is OK for old US testing

Emissions systems go std, LEV (low emission vehicle), ULEV (ultra low emission vehicle) and SULEV (super low emission vehicle) and then ZLEV (zero emissions vehicle)

Old 02-07-2016, 08:42 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by iconic
Hi there, I'll see If I can help, emissions used to be my job...until 2002 so I'm bit rusty.
Iconic, thanks a lot for the info.

I got the article you refer to already, and agree with you that besides of reading myself through the info given on this forum, and some other stuff, I will need to see the car, its owner and some of the guys in this approval field.

But tonight is Chinese New Year eve, and in consideration to the earthquake we had yesterday, time to reflect a bit on other things in life.
I will read myself through all info in the coming days, and probably come back with some more questions before I head south to see the car after middle of February.

Thanks again for all efforts!

Eric

Old 02-07-2016, 10:24 AM
Veteran Member

You need to meet "the guy" who knows how all this is done!

Old 02-07-2016, 05:20 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sparkenzap
You need to meet "the guy" who knows how all this is done!
I know that's the final goal, no way I can do this myself.

But as mentioned in the intro, there will be too many people who will say all is possible, happily take my money, then tell me more is needed ....

Just want to be sure on the technical side before talking to ''the guy'' and his ''other'' solutions.

Happy New Year of the Monkey.

Old 02-07-2016, 11:22 PM
Veteran Member

yep!

Old 02-09-2016, 03:58 PM

Iconic, thanks a lot for the info.

I got the article you refer to already, and agree with you that besides of reading myself through the info given on this forum, and some other stuff, I will need to see the car, its owner and some of the guys in this approval field.

But tonight is Chinese New Year eve, and in consideration to the earthquake we had yesterday, time to reflect a bit on other things in life.
I will read myself through all info in the coming days, and probably come back with some more questions before I head south to see the car after middle of February.

Thanks again for all efforts!

Eric

Check your PMs, I have sent you a contact and other information. He is the site manager of the Ford Australia Emissions Test Centre, we used to work together and he is a great guy, he used to do import testing in Hong Kong and maybe able to help?

Old 02-10-2016, 07:12 PM
Veteran Member

Thank you again, Iconic!
Will send him an email tonight before the weekend, and see.
For the rest I will need to wait till next week as everyone is on holiday still.

Eric

Old 02-13-2016, 07:51 PM
Veteran Member
Default Update

Just a bit of an update:
With the various info from this and the XJS forum, I have been able to contact 3 people working in car emissions, plus an ex-Jaguar engine engineer.

The conclusion is that there are little or none options to improve the emissions, let alone bring them up to Euro 4, pretty clear.
So, that leaves the ''technical'' solution out, whatever some smart-*** here in Taiwan will say.

I will have a meeting with a car import company next week, but I have my doubts they can solve this for me, quanxi (=relations) is wearing thin for these matters here on the island.
But, who knows, I have had stranger projects ...

To be continued ...

Old 02-14-2016, 03:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,051 Likes on 2,029 Posts

Just thinking out loud, could you buy a car in California for example, with a current emissions test, and assuming those meet whatever you need to meet then import it to Taiwan and have it then pass the local test?

That assumes that it would be possible for an XJS to pass the test you need it to pass, but at least you would then be buying a car with known emissions levels.

Old 02-14-2016, 04:36 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jagboi64
Just thinking out loud, could you buy a car in California for example, with a current emissions test, and assuming those meet whatever you need to meet then import it to Taiwan and have it then pass the local test?

That assumes that it would be possible for an XJS to pass the test you need it to pass, but at least you would then be buying a car with known emissions levels.
That would only be a Jag model built after ~2005 (I think), that time fit to pass the Euro 4 regulations.
And even then, I have no idea how age and mileage negatively influences emissions, I guess it gets downhill over time.
So no, not suitable for anything semi classic .

PS. The real intention of all this is of course protection, preventing the local market being flooded with 2nd hand cars.
I am just a victim of that .

Quick Reply: A challenge for the technicians – Emissions adventure