XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Coolant fan fuse blowing

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 07:03 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Coolant fan fuse blowing

Ok guys I've just dropped a motor/trans into my 96 xj6 (x300) donated from my 95 that was totaled out by the insurance company. Was having a no start issue which ended up being a fuel pump problem. Took care of that thanks to @DON B 's expert advice and directions. There's still a little fine tuning left to get it up to par.
My current problem is that the cooler fans aren't coming on. Checked the fuses and one was blown. The problem now is that it keeps blowing the fuse almost instantly. I was told that this might be a relay problem. Any other ideas or can someone please tell me where this relay is located so that I can replace it..?

Old 01-19-2017, 09:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 269 Likes on 201 Posts

There is a TSB about radiator fan fuse. Here it is:
http://www.jagrepair.com/images/TSB/...%20Failure.pdf
It is said that the radiator fan should be on low speed when the ignition is on - this is to reduce the sudden electric load when the fans turn on. Did your fans work that way before the recent fuse issue arose? I would also look for torn/untied wires, loose sockets, grounding issues if the fuse keeps blowing.

The following users liked this post:
goodgame (01-20-2017)
Old 01-19-2017, 11:01 PM

The fan was coming on with the ignition prior to the engine swap. Upon letting the car run today I noticed that the fans were not coming on. After checking the fuses I saw that the fuse was in fact not inserted. Pushed it in, fan comes on but fuse blows. Tried turning car off and then replacing fuse but as soon as I turned the key it blew again. Do you know where the relay is located..? @Qvhk

Old 01-19-2017, 11:09 PM

And I just read the link. Thanks , I'll try to run those test tomorrow