XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Donor/parts cars ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 09:19 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Donor/parts cars ?

I see on here there seems to be a few posters that have parts and donor cars,my question is how do you do it and resist the urge to fix the donor car?

I have been looking at a few localy in the $500 and $600 range and think yea I can use this and this from it to justify buying one.

But then I think on the other hand I can fix it also and have a back up car,or just start hoarding.

I looked at a vadan plas the other day and thought,steering wheel and seat tables etc. moved over to my car but then I was thinking the car is not that bad and I could fix it easily enough,so I did not buy it.Because it would have bothered me to much to break it up into parts.

What is the answer?

Buy one and run it into a brick wall to make sure it stays a donor car?

Last edited by 1997Sovereign; 09-29-2016 at 09:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Jerry Fennell (02-05-2018)
Old 09-29-2016, 09:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 475 Likes on 311 Posts

I think that unless you have an empty warehouse or a couple of acres out in the country, you'll find the biggest problem would be storage space. It is kind of sad to see perfectly fixable cars reduced to parts. It's just that the value of the cars just doesn't justify the investment. I've seen many perfectly good x300s and xj8s parted out because of a bad tranny or especially a bad timing chain issue. I just saw a XK8 convert offered up on LA CL for around a grand with a timing chain failure. You can't save them all, Just be satisfied with saving one car.

The following 2 users liked this post by Rivguy:
Jerry Fennell (02-05-2018), SleekJag12 (10-04-2016)
Old 02-02-2018, 10:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Candidates serving as donors are those unfortunates who've either been involved in a wreck or have been subjected to neglect which makes their refurbishing so cost prohibitive they are better serving the renovations of another.
Having looked for a few parts and finding in some cases the parts discontinued or expensive it occurred to me that experiencing only a few expensive or "unobtainables" would make a $600 donor a great value and a bird in hand.
I read one forum members account of an accident he was the victim in which resulted in a bent front frame. The insurance company totaled the vehicle so what better service could this vehicle serve than to become a donor for this individual?
Can't save them all but many can serve to save others. These are beautiful cars. Really looking forward to touring around this country in mine. Also looking forward to projects on it which preserve it.

Old 02-03-2018, 05:00 AM
GGG
Received 16,798 Likes on 12,167 Posts

Anything can be repaired if you're prepared to throw sufficient time and money at it. When there's sufficient in the bank, it just makes more sense to go out and buy the best available instead. It's a sad fact that used Jaguars, with a few exceptions, aren't worth much.

Jaguars usually graduate to the 'donor' class because of an expensive mechanical issue or accident damage. However, I've seen many running and undamaged classed as 'donor' simply because the parts will make more than the sale value of the vehicle.

I've owned and driven these cars long enough to remember when E-Types were treated like that!

Graham

The following users liked this post:
Jerry Fennell (02-05-2018)
Old 02-03-2018, 05:25 AM
Received 315 Likes on 224 Posts

My first Jag was a 3.2 Sovereign that needed, or deserved some time and attention, which was my initial plan. While doing the maths, I came across a 4.0l Sovereign that was ready to go and would save me money. So, that's the route I took. Fortunately, I had storage for the 3.2 and it was consigned to the shed. I never even considered putting it on the road and so, thought it might do as a donor car, despite the various differences in the two cars, ie. engine and gearbox, but most of the ancillary parts were interchangeable. Our road tax regime would prohibit me from having two Jags on the road and it contributed to me eventually letting go of my daily driver.

My donor car served me well, with immediate access to various items that helped me to either solve, or at least diagnose some issues. Various sensors etc. came in very handy at times. So before buying a new part, I could check out a used replacement.

But these cars are very easy to become attached to. My 4.0l Sovereign was possibly the only car that I developed a "relationship" with, and down the years, I've owned many cars. And I freely admit that while I'm really liking my new to me XF, I don't know if it will ever give me quite the same buzz as my XJ6 did.

That's what makes parting out such a difficult thing. You see your donor, slowly disappearing, until it passes the point where it's no longer a viable car in it's own right. But as has been stated, you must take satisfaction from the fact that it has helped others stay on the road for a bit longer.

Before I disposed of my XJ I took some bits off it, which I sent on to various forum members and I get some satisfaction from knowing that bits of her are travelling about the roads of England, the USA and even Hong Kong. To that end, I still have the remains of my 3.2 donor, which will be going to the crusher in due course, so if anyone needs something, let me know and I'll see what's left. All I'd ask for is the postage.

In the words of Freddy Mercury, Another one bites the dust......................

The following 3 users liked this post by sogood:
Jerry Fennell (02-05-2018), littlelic69 (02-07-2018), wilsongsx (02-08-2018)