XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Door Lock Problem

Old 12-24-2016, 08:56 PM
Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Door Lock Problem

Hi,
I was wondering what the fix is for the following problem. Every time I unlock my doors using the remote there is no problem at all. Every time I try to lock the doors with the remote it locks, then unlocks, then locks and finally unlocks fairly quickly. If I lock the lock the driver's door using the keys there is no problem.

Thanks,
Jomo

Old 12-25-2016, 03:58 AM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Faulty door latch mechanism.
I had the same problem on my S-type. Traced the faulty latch by locking a single door at a time from within then using the fob to lock. I looked at repairing it but it was a sealed unit, so a used item from ebay was sourced and fitted. Problem cured.

The following users liked this post:
jomo (12-25-2016)
Old 12-25-2016, 05:14 AM
GGG
Received 16,761 Likes on 12,150 Posts

Failing microswitch in the door latch. A regular issue on a number of Jaguar models with similar latch designs.

Not listed in JEPC but microswitches are available from Jaguar or can be sourced at lower cost from electronics suppliers.

The last one I got was for an X308 P/N C2N 1908.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
jomo (12-25-2016)
Old 12-27-2016, 02:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 976 Likes on 662 Posts

Do any of the door lock buttons (on top of the doors) spring back up when you push them down? If so, that would cause confusion for the door locking logic because the door won't stay locked after the solenoid pulls the button down to lock the door (it pops back up due to "spring pressure").

That spring pressure is actually just a door latch mechanism that is dirty. It needs cleaning and a lube. The mechanism is a very complicated lever and spring setup that has 3 pivot points, plus the locking lever and the door pull levers.

My son and I completed this job on the right door latch of his XJ6 last week. The door latch works perfectly now, although we found that the solenoid had a broken part inside and was jamming open. FYI the solenoid is actually a small electric motor with several plastic parts and gears enclosed in a black box.

Otherwise..... Graham is right on track. The microswitch is on the latch and still requires the latch to be removed from the door. Not a fun job, but I've done worse. If you are thinking of replacing a door speaker, that would be the time to get it done too.

Old 12-28-2016, 05:00 PM
Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Update.
I cleaned up the lock mechanism and all is well now!
Thanks for everyone's support,
Jomo