XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Engine flooded

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 277 Likes on 171 Posts
Smile Engine flooded

I had a surprise yesterday morning when I went out to start the 95 XJ6. It failed to start on first attempt. Second attempt indicated significant miss firing. Several more attempts with starter engaged for several seconds with significant miss firing. Finally got some more cylinders to fire and was able to rev the engine enough to get the others to fire. Lot of grey smoke out the rear indicating definite flooding. Drove the car about 60 miles that day with about four stops with no further problem. Always started with the usual quick start with no miss fire at all.

I surmise that probably one or more injectors stuck open and flooded the engine. If anyone else has an opinion I would like to hear it. My next step is to get some Lucas fuel treatment and put it in the gasoline. Have done that in the past just as precautionary.

The car has been running perfectly for a very long time. Inputs are welcome.

Old 02-11-2017, 10:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,782 Likes on 2,226 Posts

A good approach requiring very little expense and effort. No idea where to go if it doesn't solve the problem.

The following users liked this post:
EZDriver (02-12-2017)
Old 02-11-2017, 11:45 AM
Received 108 Likes on 82 Posts

It may have been a spec of dirt causing the injector to stay partially open or it could be an injector on it's way out. Keep an eye out and let us know if it happens again. The Lucas Fuel Treatment is one of the best products on the market and probably worth every cent compared to the other concoctions on the market. At least with the Lucas you know your getting something done for the money. I'm not a Lucas rep but I've used many of their different products and they all seem to work well for the most part. Running a cleaner like Lucas with your fuel is often an overlooked maintenance for keeping your injects clean and having a good flow of fuel into the cylinders.

EZDriver (02-12-2017)
Old 02-12-2017, 08:10 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks guys for the input. Looks like we are on the same wave link. I'll keep everyone informed if it is more serious.

Old 02-12-2017, 09:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

My 95 has done that on rare occasions, after sitting 4 or 5 days. Easy to spot once it happens a time or two. There's the sputter-start, which is really a false start. Next attempt, i hold the accelerator on the floor while cranking and get a sputtering misfiring start and rough running for 5-10 seconds. Afterward, sweet as.

Doesn't do that EVERY time it sits awhile, but only ever does it after several days of non-use. Hasn't done it since i ran a dose of BG44k through it.

The following 3 users liked this post by aholbro1:
Don B (02-14-2017), EZDriver (02-14-2017), MountainMan (02-17-2017)
Old 02-15-2017, 02:21 PM
Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Have you conclusively ruled out ignition issues? When was the last time the plugs were replaced? The rule of thumb is to make sure that ignition is perfect before you start mucking with the fuel system. Ignition problems are much more common.

Gummed up injectors happen on cars that sit a lot without being driven. If the fuel system is still suspect after ignition problems were ruled out, I would run some a bottle of Techron through it. May be worthwhile to go to a shop that can hook up a machine with injector cleaner onto the fuel rail. The machines use a stronger solvent. If it doesn't help and the problem persists, I would hunt down a sticky injector and replace it. They are reasonably inexpensive.

EZDriver (02-22-2017)
Old 02-22-2017, 08:33 AM
Veteran Member

Just a quick closing note. The flooding has not reoccurred. I have not done anything to the car. She is running great. (Now I just did it didn't I). Will go ahead and use fuel treatment as soon as I get to a store.

Spark plugs were changed recently an cam cover sealed really well. So I don't believe I had any other problem except a stuck injector.

Thanks guys.