XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

engine swap 95-97 questions.

Old 04-27-2012, 03:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default engine swap 95-97 questions.

hello im new to jaguars and am looking for some advice. recently i purchased a 1995 jaguar xjr from a co worker for a great price. i got a great price because the engine is blown, the rest of the car is in great shape however. i found a 53,000 mile engine out of a 1997 xjr that i have purchased to replace the blown engine. i realize now that there are some differences. the 97 is obd2 and the 95 is obd1 correct? basically i am wondering what all i have to swap over from the 95 engine to the 97 to make it compatible with the car. if anybody has done a swap like this before or knows the answers to my questions i would really appreciate the help. im not a professional mechanic but work on cars quite often im my home garage. thanks in advance.
Dayn.

Old 04-27-2012, 05:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,746 Likes on 7,099 Posts

Your '95 is OBDII as well.

I don't know of any fundamental dfferences.

I think the '97 engine will have an EGR valve that your '95 doesn't have....that's just a matter of swapping exhaust manifolds, though....no problem there.

Others will chime in.

Cheers
DD

Old 04-27-2012, 06:06 PM

oh wow ok that will help me a ton knowing it is also an obd2. the technition at the auto parts yard thought that the 95 would be obd1.. im prety sure that the part you are talking about is the part that confused me because i know its not on the 95 engine in the car. so i should just have to remove the rear exhaust manifold on the 97 engine and replace with the manifold from the 95 correct? and the hose that runs from that to where the supercharger is mounted gets removed as well? thank you as i said im new to jags..
Dayn

Old 04-27-2012, 08:14 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagdayn
. so i should just have to remove the rear exhaust manifold on the 97 engine and replace with the manifold from the 95 correct?

Right

and the hose that runs from that to where the supercharger is mounted gets removed as well? thank you as i said im new to jags..
Dayn

Yeah, but i'm not familiar with how it attaches at that end so I'm not sure how to block off the hole....I reckon you can figure out something

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
jagdayn (04-27-2012)
Old 04-27-2012, 08:29 PM

so if i use the part from the 95 to block the hole on the 97 and swap out the exhaust manifold it should be the same as the 95 engine correct? there is also some wiring that goes to the egr valve and some that comes off the line that heads towards the supercharger will not having these hooked up make the check engine light come on? thanks.
Dayn

Old 04-27-2012, 08:55 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagdayn
so if i use the part from the 95 to block the hole on the 97 and swap out the exhaust manifold it should be the same as the 95 engine correct?

That's my take on it, yes. I'm not intimately familiar with the EGR plumbing, though, as my car doesn't have it, either

there is also some wiring that goes to the egr valve and some that comes off the line that heads towards the supercharger will not having these hooked up make the check engine light come on? thanks.
Dayn

Not quite sure it I follow. The EGR wiring from the '97 won't be used on your '95. The engine management system on your '95 won't be "looking" for an EGR valve.....which is fine because you'll have removed it from the '97 engine and not used any of the '97 wiring on the '95 car

Cheers
DD

Old 04-27-2012, 09:21 PM

ok got ya thanks for clearing that up i know the way i had it typed up is a bit confusing. well im starting the engine swap tomorrow. thanks again for the help. love this forum already.
Dayn.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:35 AM

another question before i start the swap. can the engine be pulled from the car by itself without the trany or do they have to be pulled together and then taken apart from each other. i thought i remember reading in the fsm that they are pulled together but not 100% sure.

Old 04-28-2012, 03:37 PM

anybody know if the tranny can be unbolted from the engine while still in the vehicle or does it have to be pulled with the engine? thanks.

Old 05-05-2012, 10:32 AM
Received 649 Likes on 309 Posts

I removed the engine and manual tranmission together on my XJR6 because it is very difficult to get access to all the bolts that secure the trasnmisison to the adaptor plate on the back of the block. If you can get to these fixings then you could leave the transmission in place, but I don't know if it's actually possible. If you take the engine and gearbox out together you will need to tilt it to nearly 45 degrees relative to the car to get it out. The tail of the gear box will end up very low, possibly below the ground line. This isn't a problem if the whole car is already off the ground on a ramp, but makes the job more difficult if the car is on the ground. Others have overcome the problem by raising the back end of the car higher than the front, thereby increasing the angle relative to the powertrain. Good luck its quite awkward.

I agree with everything Doug said about swaping the 97MY engine for the blow 95MY engine. Just fit 95MY exhaust manifold to the 97MY engine and ditch the EGR system. You will also need to fit the 95MY throttle body to supercharger adaptor or maybe easier to make up a plate to blank off where the EGR enters. You could do this by welding up the flange on the EGR pipe that you won't be using.

Apart from dealing with the EGR system, I see no reason why you shouldn't substitute an 97MY engine for a 95MY engine. Many of the parts are no longer available for the XJR6 engine or tend to fail so I would strip the failed 95 MY engine and keep at least the following components:-

throttle potentiometer
SC bypass valve assembly
on plug coils
exhaust valves
pistons

Old 05-08-2012, 05:32 PM

I ended up getti g the engine and tranny pulled together as a single unit. I put the front of the car up on ramps and like you guys suggested angled the engine Amy tranny out. Went really well. I have swapped out the rear exhaust manifold and put the non egr manifold from the 95. I also fabricated a plate to block the egr hole in the throttle body. I put the new engine and tranny together and have placed them back in the car. So far so good. Now it's just re hooking up all the hoses and electrical conections. Thanks for all the help and suggestions guys, has helped a ton!
Dayn.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:50 AM
Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

where are the photos? I love seeing this kind of stuff!!

Old 05-09-2012, 09:39 AM

I've got a few pics on my phone, I can see if I can get some up later today.
-Dayn.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:48 AM

how much time did you take contemplating a v12 transplant?

Old 05-09-2012, 12:41 PM

None haha. I know the 4.0 is supposed to be a good engine and don't want to sink more money than I have to on this thing. I think I will be happy with the sc 4.0.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:39 PM

I missed the "r" part. A sc 4.0 engine would be sweet. I wonder, can a sc be retrofit to a normally aspirated 4.0??

Old 05-09-2012, 02:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,333 Likes on 1,053 Posts

to Dayn - I hope the new engine fires first time - good luck!

Originally Posted by mgb4tim
I missed the "r" part. A sc 4.0 engine would be sweet. I wonder, can a sc be retrofit to a normally aspirated 4.0??
are you talking about fitting an S/C to a N/A engine, or swapping the N/A engine out for a S/C unit?

Adding a supercharger will not work because the s/c engine has a lower compression ratio.
But an engine swap would work, as long as the ECU and wiring is used as well.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:53 PM

I hope she fires the first time too, thanks guys!

Old 05-09-2012, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Sean B
are you talking about fitting an S/C to a N/A engine, or swapping the N/A engine out for a S/C unit?

Adding a supercharger will not work because the s/c engine has a lower compression ratio.
So, new pistons and an ECU, hmmmmm. Sounds like less work than the 5.0 liter Ford engine I'm planning for the MGB.

Old 05-11-2012, 03:37 PM

While hooking up the throttle cable I've noticed that the part behind where it mounts that is a vacuumed type mechanism that the throttle body lever conects to doesn't really do anything. It looks to me that the fastener connecting the two linkages isn't tight enough. Does this have to be tight or is this how it's supposed to be? Thanks.
-Dayn

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: engine swap 95-97 questions.