XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Dash/Instrument lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 11:09 AM
Received 315 Likes on 224 Posts
Default Dash/Instrument lights

Further to a recent post regarding a lack of any dash/instrument lights, I have made a little progress but am still in the dark! Just to be clear, the lights in question are those that illuminate the speedo, rev counter, fuel and temp gagues etc.
I discovered that the 10 amp fuse in the rear passenger heelboard had blown. I replaced it, switched on the lights, turned the dimmer switch up slowly and the fuse popped again.
Having poked around under the steering column, suspecting a possible short due to the movement of same,what I know at the moment is this;

The RED/YELLOW supply in to the dimmer carries 11.67 volts. Possibly a bit low as the car isn't in constant use at the moment. The RED/GREY line out carries 9.99 volts. This is with the dimmer switch turned right down to the off position, after the "click". If I turn the dimmer up full they both carry 10.50 volts. The problem arises when I switch the ignition on. With the ignition off, I can turn on my exterior lamps but the dash stays dark. When I turn the ignition on and then the exterior lights, the fuse will blow as soon as I turn the dimmer up about one third of the way. PS. The colour coding given here may be a bit suspect as it was dark under the steering column and the inspection lamp made everything a bit too bright. Anyway, would a possible short at the ignition switch be to blame? Anyone know the colour code/wiring from the ignition switch that feeds the dimmer/lights and is there another circuit in tandem with this one. Confused and bewildered and any help or input greatly appreciated.

Old 10-13-2011, 04:23 PM
Received 969 Likes on 642 Posts

Originally Posted by sogood
Further to a recent post regarding a lack of any dash/instrument lights, I have made a little progress but am still in the dark! Just to be clear, the lights in question are those that illuminate the speedo, rev counter, fuel and temp gagues etc.
I discovered that the 10 amp fuse in the rear passenger heelboard had blown. I replaced it, switched on the lights, turned the dimmer switch up slowly and the fuse popped again.
Having poked around under the steering column, suspecting a possible short due to the movement of same,what I know at the moment is this;

The RED/YELLOW supply in to the dimmer carries 11.67 volts. Possibly a bit low as the car isn't in constant use at the moment. The RED/GREY line out carries 9.99 volts. This is with the dimmer switch turned right down to the off position, after the "click". If I turn the dimmer up full they both carry 10.50 volts. The problem arises when I switch the ignition on. With the ignition off, I can turn on my exterior lamps but the dash stays dark. When I turn the ignition on and then the exterior lights, the fuse will blow as soon as I turn the dimmer up about one third of the way. PS. The colour coding given here may be a bit suspect as it was dark under the steering column and the inspection lamp made everything a bit too bright. Anyway, would a possible short at the ignition switch be to blame? Anyone know the colour code/wiring from the ignition switch that feeds the dimmer/lights and is there another circuit in tandem with this one. Confused and bewildered and any help or input greatly appreciated.
I think there is a good chance the problem is the solid state dimmer module in the column. Follow the wires from the little dimmer knob and they will lead you to the dimmer module, rectangular thing with a finned heat sink.

Good luck!

Old 10-14-2011, 04:56 PM
Received 315 Likes on 224 Posts

Many thanks for that. I may get to look at it over the weekend and will keep you updated.