XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Head unit Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 11:04 AM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Head unit Upgrade

I'm sure this issue has been brought up before, but is there a way to upgrade the factory premium stereo in a 96 VPD by only swapping out head unit? I know a harness exists for the base head unit swap

Car Stereo Fascia Panel Fitting & Wiring Kit For Jaguar XJ6, XJ12, Sovereign | eBay

but is there a way to use original amp and speakers of the premium Harmen Kardon system with a head unit swap?

Old 03-01-2017, 01:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts
Default Not really, not plug-and-play anyway....

Originally Posted by RFXJ12
I'm sure this issue has been brought up before, but is there a way to upgrade the factory premium stereo in a 96 VPD by only swapping out head unit? I know a harness exists for the base head unit swap

Car Stereo Fascia Panel Fitting & Wiring Kit For Jaguar XJ6, XJ12, Sovereign | eBay

but is there a way to use original amp and speakers of the premium Harmen Kardon system with a head unit swap?

Not direct "plug and play" as far as I know, unless someone has marketed a conversion harness from a particular make/model aftermarket head unit into the premium car harness.

That being said, if you were to use an Alpine unit that had M-Bus or AiNet (you need another conversion cable) connectivity for the CD player, you might be able to build a conversion harness yourself that would put the right line level output from the radio, remote power, etc into the stock harness. But you'd likely have to pin it out and make it yourself.

To be honest, when the stock system is working as new, I find it very good and plenty loud. As a youngster I used to spend a lot of time and money chasing aftermarket audio in cars, but I feel like my $250 rebuilding the OEM head unit was money better spent now that it is working right. It really sounds great, not earth shaking, but I don't want my ears ringing anymore these days anyhow

The only real tradeoff with maintaining the OEM system is lack of aux or Bluetooth, but that can be worked around too by injecting signal at the CD changer. Lots of write ups on that, especially in the other forums.

Last edited by al_roethlisberger; 03-01-2017 at 01:30 PM.
Old 03-01-2017, 02:35 PM

In my XJ12 everything still works as it should and actually sounds pretty good. My VDP, however, has a dead head unit so I'm looking at options. I'm assuming a base head unit from an X300 is different than the premium audio head unit or are the interchangeable and use the same harness?

What are my options to have original premium head unit rebuilt?

Seems like if money is to be invested, I like to add Bluetooth function for streaming audio. Have you had any success with this?

Old 03-01-2017, 03:37 PM
Veteran Member
Lightbulb

Since I only have the one car with the premium system, I can't say for certain that the head unit is the same for premium and non-premium cars, but it appears they are the same as Jaguar Classic Parts only lists one "non-Europe" part number DBC10427 and doesn't distinguish between premium and non-premium.

Radio/Cassette Player - Parts For XJ Series from (V)720125 to (V)812255 (X300) | Jaguar Classic Parts UK

Here is probably the best thread that discusses various failure modes for the OEM Alpine head unit, and options for repair:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...nt-turn-54075/

I sent mine in to Southern Electronics for a rebuild and have been very pleased with the results.

Regarding adding an aux or Bluetooth (really the same), here are some relevant or helpful threads:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...hanger-117812/

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-radio-160869/

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ctions-144735/

You'll see a post of mine in that last thread mentioning the Alpine KCA-801B, which I have now tested and confirmed works once you get the various M-Bus and AiNet conversion cables to insert it in between the trunk cable and the CD changer. The cables are readily available, but the KCA-801B aren't available new anymore (unless NOS), but can be found used for dirt cheap. I think I got mine for $15USD.

I've also just purchased this JL Audio (a rebadged version of the NVX unit) Bluetooth receiver which I'll pair with the KCA-801B.

MBT-RX - Marine Audio - Amplifiers & Electronics - Bluetooth® Accessories - JL Audio

My plan is to connect the MBT-RX to the KCA-801B and trigger the KCA-801B via a switch and 12V through the existing mobile phone cable that runs from the console to the trunk.

See following for more info on the phone harness/cable:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-trunk-177346/

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...e-idea-160487/

I have tested that the KCA-801B injects the audio just fine and triggers properly, and now I'll just need to test the MBT-RX as a complete solution.

There are unused switched power connector(s) in the trunk, so that can be cleanly connected.

The only trick/downside is that I think you'll have to keep CDs in the changer "playing" so the head unit is tricked as it still thinks it is talking to the CD changer. Not a big deal, but something to consider.

Once all done, all you would have to do is select "CD", and flip a switch to trigger the KCA-801B, pair your phone, iPod, etc to the MBT-RX and play your music. And if you don't "flip the switch", you can still play your CDs in the changer. You don't lose the CD changer functionality which I think is a major thumbs up.

That will give you Bluetooth connectivity without butchering any wiring, keeps the audio system looking and operating as stock and is completely reversible.

Once I have it all finished, I'll write it up properly.

Last edited by al_roethlisberger; 03-01-2017 at 03:51 PM.
The following users liked this post:
aholbro1 (03-01-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 07:07 PM
Veteran Member

This is an interesting recent thread in the X308 section. Someone has put some significant time into researching integrating directly into the X308 audio system, but only partially:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...4/#post1630706

Old 03-03-2017, 04:25 PM

Any chance this would function like the Alpine KCA-801B does (with the adaptors) but without the ability to have CD player connected? Are our radios Alpine Versatile Link Ready Radios?

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500KCA...c&awug=9021553

Old 03-03-2017, 05:14 PM
Veteran Member

Any chance this would function like the Alpine KCA-801B does (with the adaptors) but without the ability to have CD player connected? Are our radios Alpine Versatile Link Ready Radios?

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500KCA...c&awug=9021553
No, that will not work, that is just a passive auxilliary cable that allows you to connect "RCA" jacks to an AiNet bus port.

The KCA-801B does two things. First it does the same as the KCA-121B in that it allows you to use "RCA" jacks to input a signal, but second and most importantly it allows the M-Bus/AiNet signalling to be maintained so the radio believes it has a CD attached.

If you don't use something like the KCA-801B, you'll get an error from the head unit that the CD changer is not connected as the M-Bus/AiNet signalling is not maintained. This is demonstrated by the common CD "NOT CONT" error covered here:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...2/#post1152299

Jos Raven PA0AMX

For something like the KCA-121B to work, you would have to be working with just audio signal alone and our OEM head units don't have a simple aux audio port hookup.

You'll need something like the KCA-801B (I know of nothing else, or hack into your CD wiring in the link I provided above) to maintain head unit and CD changer signalling and inject the aux audio signal.

Regarding "Alpine Versatile Link", I'm almost certain the answer is no. Our head units are M-Bus, which predates AiNet (the KCA-121B is an AiNet connector BTW), which predates "Alpine Versatile Link" (AVL). To use AVL, you apparently need an AVL distribution hub, which the ones I saw are discontinued and said they are for use with all "Connects to 2001 and up Alpine Ai-NET receivers".

The KCA-121B is just a passive adapter input to use with an AVL hub like the Alpine KCA-410C to allow audio injection of one of several audio source ports on the hub, but our head unit has no capability to control something like the Alpine KCA-410C and switch between multiple external sources other than the built in radio, cassette and CD.

Because the KCA-801B uses AiNet ports and not M-Bus, it isn't straight plug-and-play between the car's M-Bus cable and CD changer. You'll need an M-Bus to AiNet converter cable to plug from the car's M-Bus cable into the KCA-801B, then another AiNet converter cable from the KCA-801B to the M-Bus cable that comes out of the CD changer. I don't have the cable part numbers with me, but one of them is readily available from Alpine, but the other is a bit of a rarity (because of gender changing) and I'll have to document that when I write it up.

Bottom line, there is no passive auxilliary input on our OEM Alpine head units. You have to use some active electronics, or cut into the CD connection, to fool the head unit to accept aux audio while thinking the CD is still there.

BTW a really cheap, easy and not-too-bad-sounding shortcut to BT input is the following:

Amazon Amazon

It isn't the highest fidelity, but it is cheap and it works well for a quick fix until you find a more complete solution. I use it every day until I get my permanent solution working.

I have seen other cheap "CD emulator" devices that say they allow flash storage of music files and may have aux inputs, but haven't seen any tested with our head unit. Something like that may allow you to abandon the CD changer entirely if they support M-Bus or AiNet signalling, but I have no experience.

Last edited by al_roethlisberger; 03-03-2017 at 05:23 PM.
Old 03-03-2017, 05:26 PM

Thanks Al. I think I'll do some form of CD changer hack to add RCA plugs and then plug in your suggestion for the BT receiver in the trunk.

I did order the BT cassette and it was delivered today. Seems to work well. I'm assuming having to manage the charging of that device will get old quick but good stop-gap solution.

The following users liked this post:
nickdabs (10-30-2017)
Old 03-03-2017, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by al_roethlisberger
No, that will not work, that is just a passive auxilliary cable that allows you to connect "RCA" jacks to an AiNet bus port.

The KCA-801B does two things. First it does the same as the KCA-121B in that it allows you to use "RCA" jacks to input a signal, but second and most importantly it allows the M-Bus/AiNet signalling to be maintained so the radio believes it has a CD attached.

If you don't use something like the KCA-801B, you'll get an error from the head unit that the CD changer is not connected as the M-Bus/AiNet signalling is not maintained. This is demonstrated by the common CD "NOT CONT" error covered here:

Jos Raven PA0AMX

For something like the KCA-121B to work, you would have to be working with just audio signal alone and our OEM head units don't have a simple aux audio port hookup.

You'll need something like the KCA-801B (I know of nothing else, or hack into your CD wiring in the link I provided above) to maintain head unit and CD changer signalling and inject the aux audio signal.

Regarding "Alpine Versatile Link", I'm almost certain the answer is no. Our head units are M-Bus, which predates AiNet (the KCA-121B is an AiNet connector BTW), which predates "Alpine Versatile Link" (AVL). To use AVL, you apparently need an AVL distribution hub, which the ones I saw are discontinued and said they are for use with all "Connects to 2001 and up Alpine Ai-NET receivers".

The KCA-121B is just a passive adapter input to use with an AVL hub like the Alpine KCA-410C to allow audio injection of one of several audio source ports on the hub, but our head unit has no capability to control something like the Alpine KCA-410C and switch between multiple external sources other than the built in radio, cassette and CD.

Because the KCA-801B uses AiNet ports and not M-Bus, it isn't straight plug-and-play between the car's M-Bus cable and CD changer. You'll need an M-Bus to AiNet converter cable to plug from the car's M-Bus cable into the KCA-801B, then another AiNet converter cable from the KCA-801B to the M-Bus cable that comes out of the CD changer. I don't have the cable part numbers with me, but one of them is readily available from Alpine, but the other is a bit of a rarity (because of gender changing) and I'll have to document that when I write it up.

Bottom line, there is no passive auxilliary input on our OEM Alpine head units. You have to use some active electronics, or cut into the CD connection, to fool the head unit to accept aux audio while thinking the CD is still there.

BTW a really cheap, easy and not-too-bad-sounding shortcut to BT input is the following:

https://www.amazon.com/ION-Audio-Cas...ssette+adapter

It isn't the highest fidelity, but it is cheap and it works well for a quick fix until you find a more complete solution. I use it every day until I get my permanent solution working.

I have seen other cheap "CD emulator" devices that say they allow flash storage of music files and may have aux inputs, but haven't seen any tested with our head unit. Something like that may allow you to abandon the CD changer entirely if they support M-Bus or AiNet signalling, but I have no experience.

What does the KCA-801b do that a direct splice into appropriate CD wires wouldn't do if spliced-in device (via rca plugs) was on switched power?

Old 03-03-2017, 07:12 PM
Veteran Member

What does the KCA-801b do that a direct splice into appropriate CD wires wouldn't do if spliced-in device (via rca plugs) was on switched power?
This isn't an issue of how you are powering your "spliced-in device" aka iPod or BT receiver. The power to your "spliced-in device" is completely independent of this issue and doesn't affect how the head unit behaves or what it requires. Remember, your "spliced-in device" is only providing L/R audio output, no other signalling to the head unit. The head unit needs all the M-Bus/AiNet control signalling to/from the CD changer for it to allow music to play back when you select "CD" on the head unit.

The link I posted above about the "NO CONT" error (another common fault we see with these when the head unit can't communicate with the CD changer) also helps explain why the CD changer has to still be connected, or the head unit fooled into thinking it is connected.

Here are those links again:

Jos Raven PA0AMX

And a couple more for reference:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...t-error-80671/

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...o-error-37161/

The KCA-801b maintains the required M-Bus/AiNet signalling between the head unit and CD changer while it electronically switches/injects the "spliced-in device" audio signal when trigger voltage is applied. When the trigger voltage is not applied, it passes the CD signal through normally.

If you want, the same can also be done without a device like the KCA-801b manually by cutting and soldering into the CD changer wiring to break out the L/R audio signals if you want, as seen in the link I provided above, posted again below:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ctions-144735/

(Note: Gopi's instructions are for the X308, which uses a later Alpine head unit and CD changer that utilizes an AiNet connection, not the M-Bus on the X300. But the M-Bus and AiNet cables use the same signal wires, just in a different connector design and arrangement. One can simply Google for the pin/wiring breakout to find the right M-Bus/AiNet equivalent wiring.)

Hopefully that clears things up. In summary, our OEM Alpine head units do not have a passive aux input you can just plug into. Hence products like the KCA-801b were developed, which sell for $10-20USD and is dead simple to implement with no wire cutting.

One possible mea culpa: I've never tried to just connect directly to the L/R audio leads from the head unit M-Bus cable with something like the KCA-121B (you would need an AiNet/M-Bus adapter, or an M-Bus version of the KCA-121B) because all evidence suggests it will not work. Otherwise those like Gopi would have just cut off the cable and not bothered to make sure the signalling cables stay in place to the CD changer.

So one could certainly try and if so I'd be incredibly surprised and enlightened if the head unit will play audio with CD selected, not found/communicating and the "NO CONT" error as others report that audio stops with that error. But I suppose it is possible the radio may accept and pass audio even without communicating to the changer, and it would be a cheap test if you had an adapter like the KCA-121B on hand. I may give it a try just to be sure, but I don't think it will work.

BTW, in this example, instead of the KCA-121B(AiNet), you would need something like the cable below that converts from M-Bus to RCA. The M-Bus cable from the head unit is female.

Amazon Amazon

Now that I've had time to check my notes, here is in order what one would need to hook up the KCA-801B:

With our X300 M-Bus Alpine changer, you'll need two Ai-Net/M-Bus cable adapter/converters in addition to the KCA-801B and its included M/M Ai-Net cable.

The first cable you'll need is to go from the KCA-801B's female Ai-Net port to the male M-Bus cable from the CD changer. The only place I could find this cable was the following:

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/ALP-Ai-F.html

The second cable you need connects to the male/male Ai-Net cable that comes with the KCA-801B so that you can connect to the female M-Bus cable from the head unit. This converter cable is an Alpine cable that is readily available. It is a KCA-130B which is male M-Bus and female Ai-Net.

String them together in the following arrangement, then figure out what you want to connect to the auxiliary ports and how you want to trigger the 5-12V switch and you are good to go to allow injecting auxiliary audio and maintain your CD changer functionality.

Head unit M-Bus female cable -> KCA-130B Male M-Bus/Female Ai-Net Cable -> KCA-801B included Male/Male Ai-Net Cable -> KCA-801B Output Ai-Net female port -> [KCA-801B] -> KCA-801B Input Ai-Net female port-> ALP-Ai-F Male Ai-net/Female M-Bus cable -> CD changer male M-Bus cable

Last edited by al_roethlisberger; 03-03-2017 at 10:17 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:38 AM

Has anyone tried this product to add aux in? Ran into a guy at All-British swap meet yesterday who was promoting this aux cable that goes in-line to antenna. Would this word?
https://rediscoveradio.com/index.php...478a99d5c4c8e0

Old 03-20-2017, 02:55 PM
Veteran Member

Has anyone tried this product to add aux in? Ran into a guy at All-British swap meet yesterday who was promoting this aux cable that goes in-line to antenna. Would this word?
https://rediscoveradio.com/index.php...478a99d5c4c8e0
Sure, there a bunch of these FM injectors out there, but this one locks you into a cabled connection only connection. Also this one only transmits on 91.1FM (if you get the FM version, beware not to get one of the two AM versions they sell). This might be a problem if 91.1 is in use in your area, or you drive long distance (25+ miles) or live in a crowded FM market as the stations drift in and out and overlap this part of the dial as you drive. I deal with this on my 50 mile commute and had to change the station on a FM Bluetooth transmitter I was using mid-drive and would be a problem if I couldn't choose other unused stations.

But the RR manual says it will override any signal on 91.1 so perhaps that isn't a problem, and it isn't clear if it passes any other stations or blocks them all when activated. I'd make sure that it would work well if there were a strong station on 91.1 in your area.

Here's the manual:

http://rediscoveradio.com/OwnersManu...0for%20WEB.pdf

The only cool feature I can see is that it says it "auto senses" your program music to inject the FM signal, but other FM/BT units can do the same by just turning them on/off or pairing with them. Some may also auto sense.

There a bunch (100s) of FM transmitters on the market that allow choosing any FM station, also include Bluetooth versus cabled, and include USB and flash drive capabilities... usually for under $20.

So in summary, I personally wouldn't opt for this device. You are limited to one FM station, you have to wire it in-line to your antenna, and you are limited to just a wired connection to your device. But OTOH, it is very simple if you only do need a wired connection and not much else.

BTW, I went ahead and bought a passive aux to M-Bus input cable like you originally asked about, but haven't had a chance to test it yet. I'll update the thread once I do.

Last edited by al_roethlisberger; 03-20-2017 at 03:11 PM.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:29 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just stumbled across a very interesting unit that could be a great solution -- though this is all on paper so I could be wrong...

Yatour YT-M05 or -M06 or -M07 units. You can order in a number of different protocols, including M-Bus which is what drives the Alpine CD changer in the X300 premium. The unit replaces the CD changer and receives either iOS input (-M05), SD card / USB drives (-M06), or both (-M07). There is a Bluetooth module available with a remote pairing button and mic (YT-BTA.) The main units are ~$75.

www.ycarlink.com/1456_Digital-Music-Changer-M06.htm
www.ycarlink.com/my_52/Install YT-M06.htm

** The big assumption (and revelation) is that the Yatour black box translates the protocol and handles switching - meaning you simply change your OEM headunit to CD and play your modern input device. All is 12V and wired in the trunk or dash.

I imagine we all simply want a wired Aux input cable or BT (though I think it sounds like crap), and the SD / USB thumb drive sounds more trouble than it's worth or may not really work with our OEM one-line display head units.

Reviews of the same unit but different bus protocols like Clarion and Toyota are all excellent. So can this be our solution for keeping the OE headunit?? What am I missing?

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by caferacer; 03-21-2017 at 03:00 PM.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:03 PM
Veteran Member

I looked into the Yatour stuff, and can't remember why I didn't pursue it.... but I think I couldn't find one actually for sale for the M-Bus version. I just can't recall though.

If you get one and test it, let us know.

Old 03-22-2017, 04:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 269 Likes on 201 Posts

I have been using iSimple ISFM 2351 Tranzit Bluetooth Module on my X350 as I do not want to replace the original Jaguar radio and sound system. I believe the same can apply to the X300.

This tiny device works very well with my iPhone 6 and plays songs from my phone. It is automatically connected when you enter the car, and it cuts the radio or song when there is an incoming call. The LCD panel shows whose phone is connected and what song is playing; and I can control volume level through the radio, the phone or using the buttons on the steering wheel. Only down side is it will require professional installation to hook up with the factory radio and antenna, installation of a mic (included in the package) and drilling of a hole inside the central console to fix a control button with which you can manually enter or exit Bluetooth connection, switch Phones, and to take or cut calls.

Last edited by Qvhk; 03-22-2017 at 04:26 AM.