XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Heated seats, just bottom cushion or seat back too?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 05:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts
Question Heated seats, just bottom cushion or seat back too?

Curious, do the heated front seats in a 97 XJR only heat the seat cushion or also the seat back too?

I ask because my front heated seats only seem to heat the cushion, not the seat back, although I'm not 100% certain as the seats don't really get all that hot to tell you the truth...

...and that got me also thinking how our Honda will burn you out of the seat, and I've often wondered why the XJR's seat heaters seemed like a joke.

And that led me to the following thread in the X308 forum. Very interesting discovery on the relatively low temp thermostat that limits the seats getting very warm and something I may look into on the X300 XJR:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-solved-44965/

Anyone looked into this?

Old 01-12-2017, 07:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Both seat bottom and seat back.

And mine never got all that hot, either.

Eventually all 4 elements burned out and I replaced them with aftermarket and got much more heat.

Cheers
DD

Old 01-13-2017, 03:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts

Thanks Doug, yeah after posting this I went out for my commute home and paid a little more attention and yep the backs did heat too, just not much.

I'm definitely going to look into the thermostat issue identified in the thread above.

Old 01-14-2017, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Doug, how did you handle getting past the wire/hog-ring fixing the piping demarcation between the "butt-section" of the cushion to extend the blanket over the thigh section?
I used a "ceramic" kit, I believe it was and just trimmed the bottom cushion blanket around the radius shy of the embedded wire. The OEM has notches cut to allow for the hog-ringing. Based on the limited tech-info available for my aftermarket blanket, I was not persuaded it would remain functional if I tried to notch it...but heat under the thighs would be a welcome addition to that provided to the cheeks.

Al, beware if you go this route, skinning and re-hiding the seat is not a hard job, but neither is it fun and presents many opportunities for things to go wrong. I did it because I had to skin the seat to have a wear-hole repaired, and found the root-cause of seat-heater failure to be lack-of-fitment of heater blankets. I presume a previous owner had fit a heated-seat-clock-module as a clock-repair at some point.

Let's say it this way, passenger-side seat heat is a placebo: there's no blanky there but the LED lights and you can hear the relay click....so I just tell the rare passenger that of-course it's heating and they eventually imagine that they feel it - but too labor intensive to R&R the hide just to heat a seat I never sit in!

Old 01-14-2017, 11:24 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by aholbro1
Doug, how did you handle getting past the wire/hog-ring fixing the piping demarcation between the "butt-section" of the cushion to extend the blanket over the thigh section?

It was years ago so my memory is foggy. I have pictures posted within someone else's thread that might help.

As I recall, however, the way I got around the issue you mention was to simply not extend the new blanket into the thigh section. I recall being a bit unhappy about having to do this but the offset was better overall heater performance and saving a huge sum of money versus buying Jaguar replacement blankets.

I also recall wishing that I had an assortment of various length/angle hog-ring pliers rather than just one.

Cheers
DD

Old 01-14-2017, 11:27 AM
Veteran Member
Old 01-14-2017, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

OK, similar to what I did:

Name:  IMG_20130913_200310_zps575703f3.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  62.6 KB

Al, If you trash your OEM blankets in lieu of aftermarkets to get more heat, clip the plugs off of 'em and mail 'em to me (before fitting the aftermarket blankets and realizing you need them!)

I had a "set" of hog-ring pliers obtained from Amazon. This was a straight pair and an angled pair. I agree with many of Amazon's reviewers, if you can only have one, go for the angled...

The following users liked this post:
Doug (01-14-2017)

Trending Topics

Old 01-14-2017, 03:00 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by aholbro1
I had a "set" of hog-ring pliers obtained from Amazon. This was a straight pair and an angled pair. I agree with many of Amazon's reviewers, if you can only have one, go for the angled...

Right ! And if there's an option for shorter versus longer, get the longer.

Cheers
DD