XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Heater is not working

Old 12-08-2011, 03:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

First of all, welcome to the forum. As to what you might do, you might give us a lot more informatuin. Like, does it blow air? Think about your question. It is like calling the doctor and saying , "My stomach hurts, what's wrong?"

Engien bay fuses 1 and 15, trunk fuse 15, and probably others, supply climate control power.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:30 AM
Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

lol, good one sparkenzap! and yea i agree with you, we need more information to properly diagnose, if its not blowing at all then i would check the fuses spark recommended. But if its blowing and it doesnt get hot then i would first check my coolant level to make sure theres enuff antifreeze. Antifreeze circulates through the engine block and heats up as the car gets warm, then when you turn your heat on it is transferred from the block to a small radiator like device in your dash. Air is blown through the radiator containing the hot liquid and presto! you have hot air coming out, however if there isnt enuff antifreeze or none at all then the car wont have enuff to cycle it through and the air will blow out cold. If you have enuff antifreeze then it may be something else, like your thermostat.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:50 AM
Received 208 Likes on 151 Posts

Soooooooo, if you want a list of things that could go wrong, here is some of it. Clogged heater core. Blowers inop. Bad control module. Bad control panel. Chaffed wire. Circulator pump not working. Thermostat stuck open. Clogged heater hoses. Stuck water valve. Flaps not working. Just to name a few.

The following users liked this post:
blue (01-07-2015)
Old 12-08-2011, 03:52 PM
Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

Definetly go with what black said but id start with the coolant levels first if your blower and everything else seems functional. i usually start with the easy stuff before i go pulling things apart and causing problems i didnt have at the start! Good Luck, these cars a relationship so the more involved you are with her the better she will treat you and the better you will treat her!

Old 12-10-2014, 02:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having a problem with my flaps, my windshield defroster won't switch, and winter time is hard seeing out of a foggy windshield. How can I fix this? Even if permenently leaving it open

Old 12-10-2014, 11:39 PM
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Defrost...

@roberwin02...
I experienced the same difficulties in peering out a fogged up windshield in the winter time as well...no fun! My defrost vent flap would not move to position; the other flaps cycled normally. I found my problem to be a dirty servo which has been working fine since cleaning it up a couple of years ago.

You'll have to remove the instrument cluster to access the servo. Once there, the first thing to check would be voltage at the servo connector. If none there, of course you'll have to back-trace to locate your problem. Otherwise the servo is fairly simple to remove and very simple to disassemble and clean up. See photos in my album: Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum - mailshack's Album: Defrost Flap Servo

If you do clean the motor and contacts, be sure to leave them polished...use a burnisher rather than any kind of sandpaper. Any scratches left in the metal will quickly carbon up due to arcing and you'll be back at square one. Hope this helps!

Bob

Old 01-07-2015, 01:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackX300VDP
Soooooooo, if you want a list of things that could go wrong, here is some of it. Clogged heater core. Blowers inop. Bad control module. Bad control panel. Chaffed wire. Circulator pump not working. Thermostat stuck open. Clogged heater hoses. Stuck water valve. Flaps not working. Just to name a few.
your quoting problems but no solutions

Old 01-07-2015, 04:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

Mr. blue:
I don't know your motivation for that post and you are apparently new here, so WELCOME. Really.
But... I am sure that Mr BlackX300 was mentioning possible failure modes so the original poster could work towards providing more information other than "my heater don't work". The OPs followup question about fuses pretty well indicated he was not considering the most likely root causes for his problem.
Good troubleshooting procedures generally require analysis of the potential root causes, then experiments or tests to eliminate possible causes until the actual cause is determined. Once the root cause is found, then the correct solution you asked for can be applied. I think you are expecting a lot for a person to give the complete matrix of causes and solutions in a forum post answering a poster who, as it turns out, never checked back anyway!

The following 2 users liked this post by sparkenzap:
b1mcp (01-10-2015), BlackX300VDP (01-08-2015)
Old 01-09-2015, 05:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts

After eliminating all the obvious issues such as fuses, a not uncommon cause is failure of the coolant heater core circulator pump, which an expensive fix if one buys a new one. Used or rebuilt pumps can be had much cheaper, but usually the issue is repairable if you have the desire/capability.

If the pump turns out to be the issue, here is some info:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...er-pump-64421/

JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

There's a better write up here or at Jaglovers if I recall that has the process for disassembly and installation of new brushes. Some searching will eventually turn it up.