XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

I think my suspension has just about had it.

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 06:45 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default I think my suspension has just about had it.

On my 95 VDP.
Man I love this old girl. I am having such a hard time debating if i should sell it or spend the money to make her great again.

This is my daily driver, but im afraid that the suspension (shocks, coils, struts and bushings etc.) are at the end of their useable life. She still graces down the highway smooth as silk but when it comes to bumpy roads, pot holes, or any type of "less than smooth" driving surfaces she is simply a dread to drive. Loud, uncomfortable, rattles and thuds.

I need some insight on what it would take to make her drive like a true luxury car again. Its apparent the rear springs are tired as the back has a gentle "squat" to it. And id say all bushings and rubber pieces are either dry rotted, worn out, or completely gone because the rattles, thuds, and clunks are so prevalent and loud when I go down my dirt road.
Has anyone here have any experience with renewing the suspensions on their XJ6? Im also considering installing airbags for the rear suspension for a creamy ride. Is that a wise idea? Keep in mind I favor comfort WELL over drivability, so i have no problem giving up some agility for an extra- smooth ride.

What would you guys recommend? And what would be cost effective?

Thanks in advance!

Old 07-23-2015, 10:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts

I'd be surprised of your springs are actually worn out. The X300 isn't really known to have spring issues, although all cars will settle some over a long time of course.

What is more likely is that the various foam bushings, especially the spring seat bushings, have deteriorated.

The rear shock 'clatter' is almost always one of two things, the top spring foam bushings and upper shock bushings having disintegrated, and/or the shock bottom spherical bearing being worn out.

Front shocks can have similar issues with the shock bushings.

The shocks may or may not be actually worn out, but you may just need the bushings.

If you do need new shocks, they fortunately all seem to come with the shock related bushings. But you'll need to purchase the spring bushings on their own.

The front shocks are very easy to replace and there are some DIY threads here if you search. The front springs require a special tool to remove if you want to replace the springs or their spacers, but fortunately this is not normally required.

The rear shocks require removal of the rear springs, which is good and bad news. Good news is that it gives you the opportunity to replace the spring bushing, which you absolutely should do while in there. The bad news is that this is a big job for a home mechanic, but doable. The shocks are easy once the springs are off, and again new shocks come with their bushings. Honestly if you are replacing any part of the rear suspension, you may as well do it all while you are in there and replace the spring bushings and put on new shocks. Like the front shocks, there are a few threads here on how to replace the rear shocks/springs bushings.

Go here for more info on the parts required:

Road Spring and Damper-Front - Parts For XJ Series from (V)720125 to (V)812255 (X300) | Jaguar Heritage Parts UK

Damper and Spring Fittings-Rear - Parts For XJ Series from (V)720125 to (V)812255 (X300) | Jaguar Heritage Parts UK

The following users liked this post:
EZDriver (07-24-2015)
Old 07-24-2015, 07:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 514 Likes on 366 Posts

I would echo what Al has already said.
The X300 set a very high benchmark for ride comfort in standard form, and in many respects it is something of a high water mark, as later models put greater emphasis on handling. I would certainly not rate an (airbag) X350 ahead of the X300, and so would not think that an airbag conversion would be worthwhile even if it was feasible.
As for restoring the original equipment, the front can be tackled piecemeal if you wish, but the rear would more sensibly be tackled all at the same time, as the work to access the spring seats ( likely source of your "squat") would provide access to springs, shocks, bushes.
It is very difficult to make specific recommendations without seeing the car, but my own experience was that changing the rear shocks had a pretty transformational effect, even although the old ones weren't leaking.
You will have gathered that I would favour fixing the old girl up! There is nothing to touch one of these cars with a fully fettled standard suspension set up, IMHO.

Old 07-25-2015, 11:49 AM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for all of the info!
Looks like i'll be needing to find a lift to put her up on and get to work!

Old 07-26-2015, 06:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 277 Likes on 171 Posts

Go For It

Old 07-29-2015, 06:42 AM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

My XJR was wandering around the road Just replaced shocks with new upper and lowers bushings, control arm bushings, ball joints and tie rod ends. After a 4 wheel alignment, it drives like new.

Old 08-01-2015, 06:36 PM
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Let us know how it goes Eli.

A couple of years ago I put new shocks plus spring bushings on the rear of my '97 VDP. It made a world of difference!

Several months ago, my front end started making some noise over bumps. It got so bad that every little bump I hit made the front end thump and knock. I just finished (this afternoon) putting in new upper & lower ball joints, tie rod ends and sway bar links...what a difference! Only normal tire noise with the windows down! I purposely went over bumps at the speed limit where previously I would've slowed way down to keep the clunks minimized. Very nice; very quiet! I'll be getting her aligned next week.

I hope your work ends in a smile as well!

Bob