XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Jaguar Xj6 x300 heater not working

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 02:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jaguar Xj6 x300 heater not working

Hi, my heater on my xj6 x300 3.2 has stopped working it just blows freezing cold air, I was told it could be the heater control valve but ive changed that and there's no change, I have hot pipes going to the heater control valve but cold pipes coming out the other side, im wondering if there is any power going to the valve but I cant seem to find a fuse for it, any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks
james

Old 01-25-2017, 03:15 AM

Ive just been told it could be the electric water pump, is this possible??

Old 01-25-2017, 05:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Welcome to the forum, James. All things are possible, but not all are probable. This problem is well-documented here on the forum and you'll find lots of ideas. In order of descending probability from my perspective; THermostat stuck open, heater core clogged (there's a TSB in the large file download area, electric pump brushes worn out, water valve inoperative.

It "could" be possible that your climate control module is knackered and is not telling the rest of the system it wants heat, though I don't think I've heard of anyone reporting such an occurrence, so quite unlikely. There is a diagnostic self-test described in the manual for that...but if you set it to full-hot, that should bypass any faulty sensors or such things and open up the water and air paths to the heater core.
Here is what always works for me...about 2x per year:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...winter-102192/

Last edited by aholbro1; 01-25-2017 at 05:30 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by aholbro1:
al_roethlisberger (02-25-2017), Don B (01-27-2017), TERLAN (03-16-2017)
Old 02-25-2017, 02:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 475 Likes on 311 Posts

I'll bet it's the auxiliary water pump. it's a cylindrical device located just under heater control valve. Easy to access once you remove the air ducts to the throttle body.It's an electric motor and the brushes wear out. They are easily and cheaply replaced by a set from a hobby shop. Mine were for a R/C toy.

The following users liked this post:
al_roethlisberger (02-25-2017)
Old 03-16-2017, 03:39 PM

[QUOTE=aholbro1;1608392]Welcome to the forum, James. All things are possible, but not all are probable. This problem is well-documented here on the forum and you'll find lots of ideas. In order of descending probability from my perspective; THermostat stuck open, heater core clogged (there's a TSB in the large file download area, electric pump brushes worn out, water valve inoperative.

It "could" be possible that your climate control module is knackered and is not telling the rest of the system it wants heat, though I don't think I've heard of anyone reporting such an occurrence, so quite unlikely. There is a diagnostic self-test described in the manual for that...but if you set it to full-hot, that should bypass any faulty sensors or such things and open up the water and air paths to the heater core.

[url]https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj6-xjr6-x300-26/heater-id-

Old 03-16-2017, 03:41 PM
Default Thank you for the rubber mallet suggestion

Originally Posted by aholbro1
Welcome to the forum, James. All things are possible, but not all are probable. This problem is well-documented here on the forum and you'll find lots of ideas. In order of descending probability from my perspective; THermostat stuck open, heater core clogged (there's a TSB in the large file download area, electric pump brushes worn out, water valve inoperative.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...winter-102192/
The rubber mallet worked like a charm. Thanks

Old 03-16-2017, 07:11 PM
Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

i just repaired my heater this week,i backflushed the heater core first,still no heat,bypassed the heater control valve,still no heat,took out the heater pump,and found the brushes to be worn out,replaced the brushes,and everything woks again for a total cost of 8 dollars

brush dust

cleaned the dust away

new brushes

Old 03-19-2017, 01:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,056 Likes on 2,031 Posts

I've had the brushes wear out on mine and get no heat. Of course it was -30C and I was on a road trip several hours from home. A whack with the end of a snowbrush would cause it to come to life for about 20min and then it got cold again, I'd pull over give it another whack and I had heat for a bit longer.

Generic hobby store, or power tool repair places will have brushes that are similar. It's soft graphite, easy to file to shape if you get some that are a bit big.