XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

R493 EGR & Throttle Spring Recall

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 05:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts
Question R493 EGR & Throttle Spring Recall

So I called my local Jaguar dealer today and provided them my VIN to see if there were any outstanding recalls, and as I suspected the R493 recall (attached) has not been peformed on my 97 XJR.

I don't have any symptoms other than the occasional high-ish idle that makes me think this recall is an absolute necessity, but given the age I also think I might like to take advantage of it before it can't be had anymore.

Recall T493 - 1995 MY/Recall R493 - 1996-97

MY – AJ16 EGR System –

Replace PROMs and EGR Valve

The conversation with the service consultant was fun, dropping a 14 year old recall on them But after the slight shock that someone with a car this age would even inquire, they confirmed it was still an open issue and they are still equipped to perform the work.

However, she did caution that although all the parts & labor for the recall itself are free, there is some risk with a 16 year old car that some other parts that were meant to be reused, disconnected, moved, etc could no longer be servicable or may break. In that case while those parts normally would be covered under warantee, it clearly is not the case after 16 years.

They really couldn't estimate the actual potential cost but thought it could be around $100, which I was fine with. But on the other hand, she said it could potentially be more, and they wouldn't know until they got into it. Although she did say they would let me know before they hit a point of no return and incurred any other cost.

So, I'm wondering if anyone else has had this recall done in the past, or recently and what their experience with out of pocket costs may be.

Also curious how necessary this recall is to perform.

I like to have my cars all caught up on actual recalls, as the manufacturers don't like to spend money on recalls unless they really have (or are forced) to. So I suspect this recall may have some merit.

So I'll likely have it done unless it is a huge expense or other risk someone points out.

Thoughts?

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
05-1-26am5 1995 MYRecall R493.pdf (256.2 KB, 285 views)

Last edited by al_roethlisberger; 09-09-2014 at 05:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
someguywithajag (11-11-2020)
Old 09-09-2014, 06:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 196 Posts

The only issue I have seen is the bolts that hold the valve on breaking off. You may want to make sure they will come out.

al_roethlisberger (09-09-2014)
Old 09-09-2014, 09:50 PM
Received 7,878 Likes on 4,762 Posts

I have not done one of those RECALLS in YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I never had any issues with breaking components but the cars were younger.

The only thing that I can think of is the plastic interior panel covering the ECM might be brittle. JgaXkr might be correct about the EGR valve fasteners.

You might want to apply some penetrating oil and try the 2 EGR bolts to see if they are free.

I know the PROMS were discontinued for a while, but I guess Jaguar found another supplier.

I found a BOX FULL of those PROMS in the trash back about 2005. They were discarded after most of the cars had the update. Parts dept had not sold/issued any for some time so they were deleted from inventory. Jaguar did not want to buy them back so.........

I rescued them from the trash and I still have them somewhere. I think I am missing 1 or 2 kits of model ranges.

I have no idea if they are still useable??????

bob gauff

The following 4 users liked this post by motorcarman:
al_roethlisberger (09-10-2014), cool (07-02-2015), MountainMan (09-13-2014), someguywithajag (11-11-2020)
Old 09-10-2014, 06:52 AM
Veteran Member

Yeah, I think the concern about potentially breaking things were just their being overly cautious about quoting any costs and making me aware, which I appreciate.

I'll be sure to ask that they can truly get all the parts they need, including the new PROMs.

Old 09-12-2014, 11:41 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by al_roethlisberger
Yeah, I think the concern about potentially breaking things were just their being overly cautious about quoting any costs and making me aware, which I appreciate.

I'll be sure to ask that they can truly get all the parts they need, including the new PROMs.

Will be interested to see how this turns out, my 97 just got CEL and code is saying EGR Valve, going to attempt a cleaning first but if the recall has yet to be done to mine....could be worth checking into.

Old 09-13-2014, 10:35 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Chattanooga_XJR
Will be interested to see how this turns out, my 97 just got CEL and code is saying EGR Valve, going to attempt a cleaning first but if the recall has yet to be done to mine....could be worth checking into.
Will do. Yep, that might be a good "free" way to get a new EGR

Old 09-17-2014, 12:40 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

It seems my short trips around town could have led to EGR fouling, after a hearty 300mi round trip to the mountains and back the CEL related to EGR has cleared. Just needed to be let out and allowed to run.

al_roethlisberger (09-17-2014)
Old 11-03-2014, 01:01 PM
Veteran Member

Just picked back up on this and waiting for the dealer to get back to me about scheduling.

They have confirmed the updated spring is still available and is a $3 cost. I found that pretty funny as almost no genuine dealer sourced part is that cheap.

I have a second TB I am tinkering with, so I'm probably going to have them update it while the car is in there. Will be curious to see what hourly labor they'll quote, but they are thinking it should be pretty minimal given the type of work and they'll have the other TB already there and doing the same job in parallel on the bench.

I'll have to double check that they also have the replacement PROM(s) for the ECU as well.

The folks at the Cary, NC Jag dealership seem very helpful and willing to figure things out too as an aside.

Old 11-03-2014, 08:15 PM

The Oxygen Sensor Orientation will need to be performed when the PROMS are replaced so they can do the TPS adaptation while the Diagnostic computer is already communicating with the ECM.

It is a very simple procedure with just a few simple keystrokes while everything is still attached.

You might want to install the replacement throttle assy before you take the car to get the R493 performed so it is already to go but you can just pay the labor cost to replace it there if they are reasonable.

bob gauff

al_roethlisberger (11-03-2014)
Old 11-03-2014, 08:24 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah, I was thinking about that, but I'm going to get it all setup stock first and then look at the other Maxbore TB later possibly. Of course I'll have to get the reset again though.

Thanks for the suggestion though!

Old 05-05-2015, 08:59 AM
Veteran Member
Lightbulb

Well, it's taken since November for schedules to align, etc.... but I've dropped off the car for the R493 recall this morning. Jaguar of Cary thinks they may have it done by this afternoon possibly, but we'll see.

They were somewhat 'impressed' to see such an 'old model' show up in such good shape. It certainly stood out amongst the new Jags and Land Rovers.

....but on the other hand, not too many folks there seemed to be "car people" as no one gave my friend's Shelby that he was picking me up with a second look

Last edited by al_roethlisberger; 05-05-2015 at 09:01 AM.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hello, i have a 1996 xj6 that falls under this recall, and recently the idle is going crazy and the check engine light came on. before this the car ran great . i wonder if this is the reason for my problems with my car. does anyone have any insight into maybe this being my problem.

Old 05-06-2015, 01:46 AM
Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Well, it's taken since November for schedules to align, etc.... but I've dropped off the car for the R493 recall this morning. Jaguar of Cary thinks they may have it done by this afternoon possibly, but we'll see.

They were somewhat 'impressed' to see such an 'old model' show up in such good shape. It certainly stood out amongst the new Jags and Land Rovers.

....but on the other hand, not too many folks there seemed to be "car people" as no one gave my friend's Shelby that he was picking me up with a second look

Thats actually good to know! I went to my jag dealership the other day to check for recall, and I too have the EGR valve recall outstanding, the service guy told me that he needs to talk to the parts department about sourcing the part for my xjr6 and will give me a call back. Its been like a week but nothing yet... so from the sound of it? the dealership you went to did find the parts needed?

Old 05-06-2015, 05:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 277 Likes on 171 Posts

I am wondering if this recall was to correct the stalling issue that a lot of us have. If not what are the symptoms if the recall is not performed?

Old 05-06-2015, 06:42 AM
Veteran Member

Yeah, the dealer had no problem sourcing the parts from what I can tell.

Regarding any symptoms, I believe this recall addresses two things if I recall:

1) High idle, which the stronger throttle return spring addresses
2) EGR 'cleaning' which the EPROMs address with some new programming

From the recall documentation:

ISSUE:
Since the introduction of the AJ16 engine Jaguar has seen a high rate of
replacement of EGR valves following illumination of the malfunction indicator
lamp (MIL). This is understood to be a result of accumulated contamination within
the EGR valve that can produce possible drivability issues such as rough idle,
hesitation, and difficult starting.
Following consultation with the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Jaguar
has decided to recall all vehicles equipped with this engine and carry out a
number of modifications including the introduction of a cleaning cycle to the EGR
valve. The following actions apply to all vehicles within the above VIN ranges.

• Replace PROMs within Engine Control Module (ECM). Jaguar Cars has
upgraded the PROMs within the ECM to provide a cleaning cycle of the EGR
system.

• Replace EGR valve and gasket, to ensure that it is free from contamination.

• Replace throttle return spring. Some vehicles may experience customer complaints of high idle speeds.

Jaguar Cars is writing to all owners of the above vehicles (in timed mailings) to
advise them to take their vehicles into their local dealer to have the above
modifications made.

Note: For those 1995 MY normally aspirated vehicles previously
reworked under R493, the entire Recall will need to be performed
again with the exception of the throttle spring.

This recall will supersede Service Action S483, S675, and S676, no further claims
for these Service Actions will be accepted.

Note: On 1995 MY XJR vehicles not previously reworked under
R493, the only repair to be performed under T493 is to replace the
throttle spring.

Old 05-06-2015, 11:31 AM
Veteran Member
Thumbs up R493 Done, thumbs up for Jaguar of Cary, NC

Got the car back and first would like to say I had a very positive experience with Jaguar Land Rover of Cary (North Carolina, USA). For me, taking any of my cars to a new shop is always stressful as you don't know what the quality of the work will be and how they'll treat the car as a whole. But I was very pleased with this experience.

They had my car serviced by one of their senior mechanics that is focused on the older models, and he is very familiar with the XJ6 and has owned 3 himself. So that was also reassuring and helpful. He was happy to chat with me for about 30 minutes when I picked up the car and tell me what he observed, recommended, etc.

And their shop rate and quotes were not the typical dealer sticker shock. Clearly it is still cheaper to do most of the work DIY if you can, but they were very competitive with other independent shops I've used. Based on this experience, I'd have no issue taking the car to Jaguar of Cary. Even their oil change was competitive with the cheapo "quick lube" shops.

The mechanic was very thorough in checking out the entire vehicle, and spent the time explaining some of the checks performed such as front and rear wheel/diff bearing inspections (all OK), and determining my front steering leak and providing the necessary hose part numbers so I could change them myself. He even suggested I should DIY as the two hoses in question were the easiest of the two to replace and could be done in an afternoon in the driveway. How many dealers ever suggest DIY work?

The car came back looking better than I left it, with no damage, broken plastic, dirt, grease or anything I could spot. They even washed the car afterwards.

The recall work was performed without issue, and I received a small 'bonus' of a new EGR valve, which is an approx. $130USD part aftermarket, and I think about $300+ from Jaguar. It was a surprise because there had been some confusion early on whether my specific VIN range included a new EGR valve & gasket with the PROM and spring replacement. The dealer's system indicated I didn't receive a new EGR valve & gasket with this work, and Jaguar North America confirmed when I called.

Not getting a new EGR valve wasn't a big deal, but I thought it would be nice bonus to get a new one since I'm sure I'm on the original 15 year old unit, and half of this recall is to address EGR fouling.

Well, upon picking up the car, I found out that they did indeed give me a new EGR valve & gasket after all, so hooray

I have no idea why they changed their minds, but I wasn't going to argue!

So, given the type of work this was.... there really isn't any noticeable after effect upon driving off. Although so far it does appear that the idle is now staying around 700-800RPM versus the occasional 1100-1200RPM it sometimes decided it liked. So if that stays solid, I guess the high idle issue is addressed.

As an aside, the mechanic also noticed the upper tensioner rattle, which he was very familiar with on the X300. He said he and other Jag mechanics recommend two things:

1) 20W-50 oil
2) Jag branded oil filters, which at least he knows have the proper drain back valve

He said even if I do my own oil changes, just get a few of the Jag branded filters to keep on the shelf.

This of course is the same advice we've seen posted here before, but it's good to see/hear that from a long time Jag mechanic as well as another point of confidence.

Glad to get this recall behind me and just check one more thing off the list!

BTW, the staff and the mechanic also went out of their way to compliment and appreciate the good shape the car was in and really hope I can keep it that way.

They said they rarely see an older XJ in such good shape, and the new cars just aren't the same.

That was nice to hear

Oh and apparently a new loaded Range Rover is $187,000USD. Good lord....

It was a 'nice' car, but it didn't look like $187,000. Then again, I'm not sure I'd know what a justifiably $187,000 car would look like

Last edited by al_roethlisberger; 05-06-2015 at 11:42 AM.
EZDriver (05-06-2015)
Old 06-06-2015, 02:23 AM
Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Got the car back and first would like to say I had a very positive experience with Jaguar Land Rover of Cary (North Carolina, USA). For me, taking any of my cars to a new shop is always stressful as you don't know what the quality of the work will be and how they'll treat the car as a whole. But I was very pleased with this experience.

They had my car serviced by one of their senior mechanics that is focused on the older models, and he is very familiar with the XJ6 and has owned 3 himself. So that was also reassuring and helpful. He was happy to chat with me for about 30 minutes when I picked up the car and tell me what he observed, recommended, etc.

And their shop rate and quotes were not the typical dealer sticker shock. Clearly it is still cheaper to do most of the work DIY if you can, but they were very competitive with other independent shops I've used. Based on this experience, I'd have no issue taking the car to Jaguar of Cary. Even their oil change was competitive with the cheapo "quick lube" shops.

The mechanic was very thorough in checking out the entire vehicle, and spent the time explaining some of the checks performed such as front and rear wheel/diff bearing inspections (all OK), and determining my front steering leak and providing the necessary hose part numbers so I could change them myself. He even suggested I should DIY as the two hoses in question were the easiest of the two to replace and could be done in an afternoon in the driveway. How many dealers ever suggest DIY work?

The car came back looking better than I left it, with no damage, broken plastic, dirt, grease or anything I could spot. They even washed the car afterwards.

The recall work was performed without issue, and I received a small 'bonus' of a new EGR valve, which is an approx. $130USD part aftermarket, and I think about $300+ from Jaguar. It was a surprise because there had been some confusion early on whether my specific VIN range included a new EGR valve & gasket with the PROM and spring replacement. The dealer's system indicated I didn't receive a new EGR valve & gasket with this work, and Jaguar North America confirmed when I called.

Not getting a new EGR valve wasn't a big deal, but I thought it would be nice bonus to get a new one since I'm sure I'm on the original 15 year old unit, and half of this recall is to address EGR fouling.

Well, upon picking up the car, I found out that they did indeed give me a new EGR valve & gasket after all, so hooray

I have no idea why they changed their minds, but I wasn't going to argue!

So, given the type of work this was.... there really isn't any noticeable after effect upon driving off. Although so far it does appear that the idle is now staying around 700-800RPM versus the occasional 1100-1200RPM it sometimes decided it liked. So if that stays solid, I guess the high idle issue is addressed.

As an aside, the mechanic also noticed the upper tensioner rattle, which he was very familiar with on the X300. He said he and other Jag mechanics recommend two things:

1) 20W-50 oil
2) Jag branded oil filters, which at least he knows have the proper drain back valve

He said even if I do my own oil changes, just get a few of the Jag branded filters to keep on the shelf.

This of course is the same advice we've seen posted here before, but it's good to see/hear that from a long time Jag mechanic as well as another point of confidence.

Glad to get this recall behind me and just check one more thing off the list!

BTW, the staff and the mechanic also went out of their way to compliment and appreciate the good shape the car was in and really hope I can keep it that way.

They said they rarely see an older XJ in such good shape, and the new cars just aren't the same.

That was nice to hear

Oh and apparently a new loaded Range Rover is $187,000USD. Good lord....

It was a 'nice' car, but it didn't look like $187,000. Then again, I'm not sure I'd know what a justifiably $187,000 car would look like

Sorry to bring this up again, did they manage to find the PROM or ECM needed for this particular recall? or did they just replace the egr + tb spring?

Old 06-06-2015, 12:22 PM
Veteran Member

Yep they had no problem sourcing every part for the recall.

- EGR valve
- EGR valve gasket
- Updated throttle return spring
- Updated PROM chipset

Old 07-02-2015, 12:38 PM
Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by motorcarman
The Oxygen Sensor Orientation will need to be performed when the PROMS are replaced so they can do the TPS adaptation while the Diagnostic computer is already communicating with the ECM.

It is a very simple procedure with just a few simple keystrokes while everything is still attached.

You might want to install the replacement throttle assy before you take the car to get the R493 performed so it is already to go but you can just pay the labor cost to replace it there if they are reasonable.

bob gauff
Bob would you kindly elaborate on how to perform orientation of the O2 sensor ?

Old 07-02-2015, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by cool
Bob would you kindly elaborate on how to perform orientation of the O2 sensor ?
If you don't have a WDS or similar diagnostic unit it really doesn't matter.

I can describe the procedure and you still could NOT get it done unless you have the tool.

For the sake of clarification you simply follow the onscreen prompts 'attach diagnostic cable to OBDII port', navigate to 'SETUP AND CONFIG' then 'PERFORM OXYGEN SENSOR ORIENTATION', start the engine and allow the computer to monitor and shut down individual cylinders to determine the sensors and the 'BANK' associated with each.

When each cylinder is shut down, it becomes a giant air pump and the O2 sensors detect that. The ECM knows what cylinder it is shutting down and what O2 sensor is detecting that. That info is stored and the association is complete.

bob gauff

Quick Reply: R493 EGR & Throttle Spring Recall