XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

HELP--Trunk Release 1997 XJ6 L

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 12:09 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Exclamation HELP--Trunk Release 1997 XJ6 L

I cannot open the trunk on my 1997 Jaguar XJ6 L. The Dash button does not work nor does the button on the trunk lid. I do not have a remote/key fob for the car. I was using the key to manually open it through the key hole but now that has stopped working! The key turns but does not open the trunk How can I get in without damaging anything?

Old 07-29-2011, 08:00 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Question: do you hear any noise from the electric trunk release actuator when you push the growler button on the trunk or the trunk release button on the dash?

Old 07-29-2011, 10:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

I recall a post saying there is a hole behind the license plate you can feed a wire in and snag the "I've been kidnapped by the mob!!!" emergency release lanyard. Maybe try a search and see if it pops up...My recollection is that it was a post by Brutal..but I guess that doesn't narrow it down all that much....

Old 07-30-2011, 02:25 AM

Neither of the two buttons seem to do anything. The button on the dash worked once about a week ago when I bought the car but not since and the button on the trunk did not work at all.

I ran across the post about the hole behind the license plate and if I remember correctly, I would have to drill a 3/4" hole in my trunk...Which I am not about to do to my "new" Jaguar... Yup: Jaguar XJ6; 1996 Jaguar XJ6 trunk wont open. automobile forum

Old 07-30-2011, 10:23 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Disco1994
I ran across the post about the hole behind the license plate and if I remember correctly, I would have to drill a 3/4" hole in my trunk...Which I am not about to do to my "new" Jaguar... Yup: Jaguar XJ6; 1996 Jaguar XJ6 trunk wont open. automobile forum

Not the one I was thinking of, but similar concept, I guess.

Post #3 by Brutal, no drilling necessary:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...e-trunk-52214/

These will tell you more than anyone should want to know about the boot lid release, think I'll go out now and inspect mine that has worked perfectly all year long from FOB, dash, button and key! I don't envy your situation.

Have a look at these:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ed-boot-57621/

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...working-56451/

Post #7: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-my-boot-9999/

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...nt-open-36339/

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ctuator-36983/

Please keep us posted on your progress! Good luck

The following users liked this post:
littlelic69 (03-07-2013)
Old 07-30-2011, 02:22 PM
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I had the same problem and had no access to the trunk for over a year. After trying everything, and I mean everything, I ended up boring a 2 3/8 inch hole behind the license plate and using a long needle nose plier I was able to release the lock. After I removed the lock and adjusted and cleaned it before greasing it real well. The key hole was lubed up and electrics going to solinoid fixed. I covered the hole with a rubber grommet and some silicone. I havn't had a problem since.

Old 07-31-2011, 03:24 AM

I fished through that little hole behind the plate and took a peak with a flash light and found nothing. I sprayed a light lubricant in the key hole to try and revive the mechanism if that is the problem but I doubt it is. I can turn the key, and after a little travel the key gets a springy feeling but there isnt really anything there that it's grabbing on so I think that the linkage for that may be broke :/ I'm going to let it sit and take a look in the morning...

Old 07-31-2011, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 277 Likes on 171 Posts

I don't know about other XJ6s but on mine I can stick the key in a hole at the back of the trunk where it says XJ6 and open the trunk with the key. No electrons required.

EZDriver 1995 XJ6

Old 07-31-2011, 01:13 PM

My XJ6 has the keyhole in it, and that's what I was using, but the keyhole is no longer working hence the problem...

Old 07-31-2011, 03:24 PM

Where in MI are you? If you're near Lake Orion, you are welcome to stop by and look at how the linkage looks--the previous owner of my car cut a very large hole behind the license plate (which gives a great view of the internal workings), but never actually fixed the problem. I ended up having to replace the latch and the microswitch, but in the process, I learned a little about how the release mechanism works and how it can break.

Old 08-01-2011, 12:12 AM

I'm located in Livonia near Detroit and it's a good hour away so I don't think I'll be traveling that far except for maybe a last resort. I read your lengthy post on the thread "Jammed Boot" and found it informational but not really helpful. I have been fishing all night long through the license plate mounting holes and have pulled a spring out and found at least one other broken piece not including the broken microswitch.

It might be helpful if you could take a picture through the hole (if it's big enough for that) but I really just need to know what part to pull on to get the latch to pop. I can get the linkage to pull and it presses a lever on the lower end of the unit but doesn't open it. I feel like using the small holes I can reach whatever it is I need to pull, it just isn't convenient and I don't know what I'm looking for... I really don't want to cut a hole in my trunk. I'm considering stopping by my local dealership and asking if they can open it without damaging anything but I'm not hopeful.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:07 AM

Fair enough. I will take a pic when I get home from work today and post it up--although if you're pulling on the linkage and it's moving the arm on the latch mechanism, but doing nothing, you may not be able to avoid cutting some kind of hole. That's how my car was when I bought it: you could move the linkage all you liked, but the latch would not release. It turned out that the arm on the latch had a "finger" that actually operated the release. On mine, the metal had fatigued and the "finger" had broken off. Releasing the latch required moving the arm and inserting a screwdriver into the latch to pop the latch. Hopefully that is not the case with your car...

Old 08-02-2011, 01:32 PM
Default Pic of trunk latch and linkage

Here's a pic of the latch mechanism, as seen through the gaping cutaway in my trunk lid. As you can see, there are two separate linkages that can actuate the latch. What I would call the lower linkage (as it attaches to the latch arm) goes to the lock cylinder, while the upper linkage (again, where it attaches to the latch arm) goes to the electric actuator. You will want to try to move the upper linkage, if you can reach it, since the "plunger" in the electric actuator can be moved, while the linkage going to the lock cylinder cannot be moved unless you are turning the key in the lock. And since turning the key is not opening your trunk, moving that "lower" linkage won't do you any good anyway.

Hope this helps.

The following users liked this post:
EZDriver (08-03-2011)
Old 08-04-2011, 12:16 AM

Thanks. I haven't had time to try it yet, hopefully Thursday evening. I don't think that I'll be able to get it by just pulling on the linkage because the key does turn and moves some stuff and not all, but I'll try. Thanks again, I'll keep you posted...

Old 09-08-2011, 07:58 PM

Thanks for all the help. I got it open with my crafty ways at about 1:30am about 2 weeks ago. I went to my local pick-apart junkyard and grabbed a trunk latch for it. From that I could see how it worked and with a long screwdriver I surpassed the linkage and pried on the main lever that operates it through one of the holes for the license plate. Replaced the latch and haven't had a problem since. Plus I don't have a big hole in my trunk! I still haven't found the time to fix the wiring to the buttons though...

Old 09-08-2011, 09:42 PM
Veteran Member

Good Job! glad you got it sorted. Smart move picking up a spare to play with.