XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Are rear sun blind mounting holes pre-drilled?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 07:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts
Default Are rear sun blind mounting holes pre-drilled?

My 97 XJR has the premium sound system (with rear deck subwoofer) and so the rear sun blind that would fit is a two piece set versus the single full width sun blind for non-premium sound system cars without the rear subwoofer.

So I've picked up a set of the two rear sun blinds and will need to mount them to my rear deck (package shelf).

What I'm wondering is if the mounting holes are pre-drilled or otherwise marked on the underside of the shelf/deck cover? Or if not if anyone knows how they are properly located so one can drill the holes for the mounting studs?

The photo below suggests that the bottom of the shelf/deck MAY have the mounting holes already in place, but I won't know for certain until I get the pair of blinds and take my shelf/deck cover off.

Anyone else have any experience with the rear sun blinds that can offer insight if this will be a simply bolt on affair with existing holes or not?

Attached Thumbnails Are rear sun blind mounting holes pre-drilled?-x300-rear-deck-underside.jpg   Are rear sun blind mounting holes pre-drilled?-001y.jpg  
Old 07-25-2015, 03:46 PM
Received 350 Likes on 224 Posts

Al,
my Daimler 6 came with sunblind and non-premium sound.
When I wanted to mount some decent 6 1/2' speakers in parcel shelf, I bought a plain shelf without blind, swapped them over, and mounted the speakers up in surrounds, as there is no decent clearance for them under the shelf.
I know this doesn't answer your question.
But the sunblind was mounted purely to the shelf, not the metal underneath.

Old 07-25-2015, 06:48 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks, yes I am curious if the holes in the plastic shelf are already there, or marked in some way so one knows where to pierce it and the blinds end up in the right location.

Old 07-31-2015, 04:44 PM
Veteran Member

I just received a used pair of Nimbus Gray rear sun blinds/shades for my XJR after keeping an eye out over the last year. They don't seem that common here in the USA, so I found these in the UK where a nice fellow gave me a good deal.

Now, here's an interesting follow-up question to my question above about pre-drilled holes, which is the LH and RH blind?

The two blinds/shades are different widths/lengths. One is a cm or two longer than the other, and neither have part numbers on them. So I don't know which one is the LH or RH.

Their mounting studs MIGHT provide a clue once I remove the rear package shelf as I have now heard there should indeed be punched holes already in place just not piercing the vinyl top, but thought I'd also ask anyone here if they know which side is the longer.

Old 07-31-2015, 05:05 PM
Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

Al,

My 96 VDP has two screens which operate independently, I suppose because of the speaker on the premium sound system. I just measured them and their dimensions are identical.

My 97 VDP - without the premium sound - has a single large screen, but with two clips which mount in the same ceiling locations as the 1996.

I imagine that you already know that you will need to remove the back seats before you can remove the panel...

I can't think why the screens would have different dimensions.

Andrew

Old 07-31-2015, 05:23 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ablack
Al,

My 96 VDP has two screens which operate independently, I suppose because of the speaker on the premium sound system. I just measured them and their dimensions are identical.

My 97 VDP - without the premium sound - has a single large screen, but with two clips which mount in the same ceiling locations as the 1996.

I imagine that you already know that you will need to remove the back seats before you can remove the panel...

I can't think why the screens would have different dimensions.

Andrew
Yes, that is interesting that yours are identical as they definitely are different part numbers. These were pulled from a 1998 and the part numbers from X300 to X308 did change, but I would be surprised if it matters since that part of the interior did not AFAIK??

Old 08-01-2015, 07:44 AM
Veteran Member

OK, I don't know what sort of hallucinogenic I was on yesterday... mine are the same length as well. I swear they looked different