XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Remote Key Fobs not accepting programming

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 10:16 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Remote Key Fobs not accepting programming

Hi there folks:

Got a problem with my '96 XJR whereby my previously working key fobs will not work anymore. Here's what happened ...

Washed engine compartment this morning (I know - I know), everything worked fine all day with remote lock unlock, until tonight. Went to Shopping Center and locked car with usual key fob no problem. Came back with groceries and tried unlocking car normally with key fob and no luck. Noticed that key fob little light stayed on solid for quite a while after pressing. However I unlocked car (96 XJR) with key and came home.

I replaced battery in Key Fob, which made little lights blink properly (as well as second Key Fob), however neither worked to lock or unlock car.

Okay, time to reprogram key fobs. Tried to program key fobs and they would not program. I entered the programming stage properly and got the proper beeps from car but did not get the single confirmation beep when pressing large lock button on either key fob. Even cycled through all 5 cycles as if programming several fobs ( only have 2 with me ), and still nothing.

Time to note that my memory seat function does not work. All other functions work properly as in steering, and mirror, and all seat movements - just that my memory button, on drivers door controller, does not light up and I can't program memory recall. My drivers seat, and steering will retract properly when I shut off car (if I turn on that function with switch on steering column) but I don't use that function much, I move the switch so no movement when shutting down car. Please note, my key locks and unlocks properly no problem at all there. Just my remotes will not accept programming. Little lights light up when pressing buttons, but no chirp when trying to program (yes I know how to program properly - famous last words). All worked previously.

So, hence my question, is there any possibility that I got something wet when washing engine compartment that would cause this situation. And/or any other ideas? Do I need my memory seat function to work properly first possibly, for the remotes to accept programing or to communicate with system??

Have searched archives and found similar problem, but can't find solution. Sure would appreciate a little help from you all.

Thanks gang ... Grant ...

Old 09-27-2016, 11:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Grant,

Just came across your post when looking for answers to the same problem. I see you had no responses. I did a post on another subject recently and didn't receive any responses either. I just heard from a fellow who had the same problem, just as I'm responding to you to commiserate.

Did you ever get the problem sorted out? Other than washing the engine I have the exact same thing going on. I did everything you did and I also struck out.

Let me know via the forum or PM

Old 09-27-2016, 12:31 PM
Received 108 Likes on 82 Posts

I'm also suffering from the same issue. I even checked the security fuse in the right rear heelboard and that was fine. Only thing I can think of is maybe there is a relay somewhere within the system or a bad security module. Have you tried disconnecting the battery ,wait a few minutes,reconnect it and try reprogramming?

Old 09-28-2016, 09:14 AM
Default Think I might have found the reason for my problem

Hi again all,

I think I may have made a connection as to why I can't reprogram my fobs.

The fobs for my year 1995 were set to 315mhz frequency and that was the frequency on my previous SLCM.

The replacement unit I installed came out of a 1997 and apparently the frequency is different on that SCLM. It is 433mhz.

You can confirm this by looking at the imprint on your fobs and see if they are 315mhz and then take a look at the SLCM on your cars to see what the frequency printed on it is.

You may have the same issue or possibly vice versa. If the fob can't communicate with the SLCM then obviously it can't be reprogrammed.

For what it's worth I now have two useless fobs for use on my car since they are the wrong frequency. If your problem turns out to be vice versa and you would like to trade fobs just let me know.

Best of luck sorting your situations out!

Rick

The following users liked this post:
Scot_3 (02-05-2017)
Old 09-28-2016, 09:46 AM
Received 7,878 Likes on 4,762 Posts

Here is the info again.

bob

The following 2 users liked this post by motorcarman:
Scot_3 (02-05-2017), someguywithajag (08-15-2017)
Old 09-28-2016, 10:15 AM

PROBLEM SOLVED - Hey there folks, thanks for your reply's to my key fob problem. I was stumped after failing to get any kinda direction to push me in when I first posted. Well, due to the fact you replied, I just now revisited my problem and lo and behold I think I've found the answer.

It's been a while since my problem occurred and I posted it on this forum. I don't drive this XJR very often. So when revisiting this (just now), I used my spare key fob (which I had in a different house in a different city and recently picked up). Well it worked. Hmmmmmm, so I replaced the batteries again in my original key fob.. Well success and here is the answer to my dilemma as far as I can tell .....

THE BATTERIES WE'RE THE PROBLEM. I purchased a whole bunch of name brand batteries on eBay. Well I guess they were all bad as I tried them all in my key fob. So when I just now retried my original key FOB (which was not working), I used the batteries that were in the spare fob just to make sure (as it was working properly). I didn't even have to reprogram anything.

ALSO REMEMBER YOU NEED 2, THAT'S (TWO) BATTERIES must be used. Sorry to shout but when I read and quickly scanned the FOB programming info I didn't pick up the fact that I need to use 2 batteries, and at first I was just trying with one battery which lit up the light on the FOB, so I thought the FOB was working okay. But it needs 2 batteries (and in my case 2 good batteries). There I've said it enough.

Thanks so much for responding as that sparked me to try again. This forum is such a valuable resource as I keep scanning it from time to time and find all sorts of tips. Thank you jaguar forums and to those who continue to try to help by posting thoughts, and answers, and tips.

Sincerely, ... Grant ...

Old 09-29-2016, 09:16 AM

Hi Grant,

So glad you got your situation sorted and it was something as simple as batteries after all!

As I mentioned in my post, I'm pretty sure my fobs won't work anymore now that I've switched out the SLCM.

If anybody who's reading this thread has a compatible 433mhz they would like to get rid of please let me know. Also, if anyone is in need of the 315mhz units I have let me know as well.

Cheers to all!

Rick

Old 09-29-2016, 11:01 AM
Received 108 Likes on 82 Posts

I still can't seem to get mine to work. It was working fine and then the next day nothing. I have trunk lights and my central locking button on the center console was lit up red but nothing happens when you press it and the key fobs won't go into program mode. I've even replaced the batteries after reading the post above. Aside from replacing the SLCM is there anything that can be done?

Old 01-19-2017, 10:57 AM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Did you ever get your memory seat function sorted? I have the same problem in 96 XJ12.

Old 01-20-2017, 11:43 AM

Hi there:
Concerning my memory seat function - I haven't addressed that as of yet as I don't drive the car very much and it's not that important to me. It's probably 1 of 2 things:

1. could be the switch in the door panel
2. could be the computer module under the drivers seat

I believe 1 of those items will fix it as I've had other jags and those items fixed my similar problems. Seems to be a common failure for these models.

Good luck ... Grant ...

Old 11-09-2023, 10:46 AM
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Anybody has any news on this subject? I am in same situation. FOBs were working fine, battery dead, change battery. Now FOBs do not work, battery new, reprogramming gets to the point when red light flashes near the gear knob, but when pressing FOB buttons no red light, no chirp, and no reprogramming.
I have read carefully today and I'll give a try also to clicking the FOB buttons near the back of the car, mine is a convertible so I do not have any receiver on the rear window, I do not know where it can be, but alarm module will surely be under the fuse box in the boot, I presume.

Thanks in advance for any comment,
Luca

Old 11-09-2023, 04:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 884 Likes on 734 Posts

X300 4 door sedan 94.5 to 97 year ?

Old 11-10-2023, 04:13 AM
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry I've just realised I'm in X300 section, mine is a X100 (XK8). I has same problem and yesterday I made a step: I discovered that programming FOBs was forbidden by the "VALET" function I activated by mistake, that was NOT disactivated by opening / closing door or trunk with the physical key. Insted, I had to do the usual programming steps (key position 0, flash highlights, move to 1, 4 flashes with highlights) with the boot open. Move out, go to open boot where the module is, click the FOB buttons, at this point I heard 2 clear sounds from module and AT LEAST the VALET mode is now disactivated. I can't yet complete the programming of FOB (doesn't give red light or chirps when clicking FOB buttons) but it's a little step (big step for humanity ). May be this is clear to most of you, but it was not for me...
Thanks and ciao, Luca

Valet mode

The following users liked this post:
Ken Dreger (12-31-2023)