XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

share your sentimental story about your xj6

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 11:42 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default share your sentimental story about your xj6

I remember I bought this car when I got my permit at 16 in NJ. I saved for about 3 years trying to find the perfect late model xj6 with the British racing green exterior with the tan interior. I finally came across it online with only 114,000 miles and all paperwork on the car since 1997. It was garaged kept with 1 owner who decided to get the new xj. Sold it to me for 3,500. I was never really sentimental about this car until it really helped me in a pinch. My grandmother was gravely ill in the hospital and my mother had taken off of work because she feared the worst and had a gut feeling to get to the hospital earlier than we were expecting. It was an abnormally cold 20 or so degrees and when we both got into her Ford Fusion it refuesed to start for some reason. It never happened before but we figured something with the cold. My other car I had just bought was a Ford Taurus ( for 500 bucks at 71k miles from a old lady) the battery was just flat and I knew it needed a battery anyway,but now I'm thinking to myself what the hell am I going to do? Now my mother was getting physically destressted because now she didn't think we were going to be able to get there. But I grabbed the keys for that jag and we both hopped in and I just crossed my fingers and behold it starts like it wasn't even cold. The way these cars sound when they start up cold is amazing by the way. I raced down the highway doing well over the posted speed limit and got to the hospital in record time. Sadly she passed away about a half hour after we got there. But I will always be grateful to this car because it got my mom to where she needed and wanted to be. It has never failed me even when my Ford has a random vacuum line fly off and decides to stall. Share why your car is sentimental to you. It's been 5 years and now it has 147k. Now I only drive it on weekends.

Old 02-12-2017, 03:57 AM
Received 87 Likes on 67 Posts

Well it's not a really sentimental story but my daughter was getting married (in the UK) on a very tight budget and said she wouldn't be getting a wedding car. We could just use my Rover which is an OK saloon but a bit meh. When I got married we used a two door saloon as I recall so it runs in the family

Anyway I thought I've always wanted a Jag so I found a tidy XJ6 for about £900 and we used that for the wedding and of course it was great. A friend was chauffeur, we used it all day for ferrying people about and I fully intended to sell it within 6 months to recoup my money. That was over three years ago and I have two grandchildren now.

The XJ6 is still much loved and has done two more weddings for friends but I fear it will have to go as I don't use it enough and a car does like to be used. Someone else can have some joy from it while I search for a motorbike and sidecar to play with.

It's a remarkable car, it makes friends wherever we go. People just say 'nice car' at traffic junctions, on the road and at events. It has to be one of the most iconic and friendly cars ever made judging by these reactions.

Mike