XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Some assistance or advice please

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 12:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some assistance or advice please

Hi guys
i am new to the forum, so hello everyone, im John.
I live in the UK.

I have just purchased a 1996 XJS Daimler Hearse as i am about to start my own funeral home business

when i purchased it, the seller told me the door lock on occasion would not unlock and he had the window half open.

The drive home was considerable and the car ran perfectly, not missing a beat and it was late at night when i got home.
I totally forgot about the issue mentioned with the door lock, locked it up and now cannot get into it.

The key fits the lock ok and appears to go all the way in, but although it turns in the barrel and there is some upward movement on the inside door button, it will not raise enough to open the door
i have tried some wd-40 in the vain hope also cursed and asked for divine intervention, all to no avail - it lifts about half way up

Needless to say this is very inconvenient and i am desperate for help without damaging the car

The remote does not seem to work, though it lights up and i tried new batteries, it appears to do nothing and as i have parked it close to a wall, i cannot open the rear boot even if it did unlock.
The passenger door does not have any key hole to put a key into.

It could not have come at a worse time for me in honesty with the new business about to start, can anyone help or advise me on what is best to do =0(

regards and thanks in advance
John

Old 12-02-2016, 12:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,083 Likes on 5,350 Posts

Post a photo of the door ASAP. We might be able to advise how to break into it without breaking anything. For a start, a pic of the knob inside that tries to pop up, and of the mirrors on the door. Plus if you can get it a photo of the interior door handle.
greg

Old 12-02-2016, 12:56 PM
GGG
Received 16,768 Likes on 12,155 Posts

Originally Posted by TheUndertaker
...... I have just purchased a 1996 XJS Daimler Hearse .....
Welcome to the forum John,

Really! I'd love to see a photo.

Is it not this style?

Based on the X300.

Graham

Old 12-02-2016, 01:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,050 Likes on 2,029 Posts

Might be a silly question, but are you an AA member? Maybe they can open it?

Old 12-02-2016, 01:13 PM
Received 6,243 Likes on 5,444 Posts

Can you wedge the top of the door out and hook the button with something?

Old 12-02-2016, 01:29 PM

I have had a look at the V5 and it is an XJ6 not an XJS
I do apologise, I am not an expert on Jaguars and do not have my glasses on
Here is a picture of the button

Old 12-02-2016, 01:30 PM
Old 12-02-2016, 01:31 PM

I'll have to get some more pictures in the morning when it is daylight

Old 12-02-2016, 01:46 PM
GGG
Received 16,768 Likes on 12,155 Posts

John,

I've moved your question from XJS to X300 forum. Members here with the same model will be able to help.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
TheUndertaker (12-02-2016)
Old 12-02-2016, 02:09 PM

Thank you GGG

I'm afraid I am not a jaguar expert, I do apologise.
My lasting memories of jaguars are of my father in his red T bar XJS, I think it was a 5.3 V12 engine ?
My dad really loved his jags and he had half a dozen while I was growing up.

I think it's that, that pushed me towards getting one for the funeral business.
I'm gutted I've locked myself out of it.

Here is a pic or the inside of the door I got earlier this week

Attached Thumbnails Some assistance or advice please-img_2058.png  
Old 12-02-2016, 02:11 PM

Your final mile in style

Last edited by TheUndertaker; 12-02-2016 at 02:16 PM.
Old 12-02-2016, 02:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,083 Likes on 5,350 Posts

OK, try this:
Get some parcel strapping - that nylon/plastic type strip about half an inch wide that is ratcheted up and clipped around parcels. About 3 feet of it.
Double it up and push the looped bit through between the door seal and the metal door frame.
Then turn the key to raise the pip inside as far as it will go, and by differentially pushing and pulling the ends of the strapping still in your hands, get the loop over the pip.
Pull the pip up by pulling up the tape towards the door top

Old 12-02-2016, 02:14 PM

She very pretty , even for a hearse

Last edited by TheUndertaker; 12-02-2016 at 02:16 PM.
Old 12-02-2016, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Greg in France
OK, try this:
Get some parcel strapping - that nylon/plastic type strip about half an inch wide that is ratcheted up and clipped. About 3 feet of it.
Double it up and push the loop through between the door seal and the metal door frame.
Then turn the key to raise the pip inside as far as it will go, and by differentially pushing and pulling the ends of the strapping still in your hands get the loop over the pip.
Pull the pip up by pulling up the tape Towards the door top
I'm going to try this first thing in the morning when it's light, thank you.
I'll let you know how I get on.

I'll have to try and get it fixed as well once it's open *crossing my fingers

Is it an easy fix ? Is there anyone you can recommend if it isn't to take it for a fix ?

Old 12-02-2016, 03:12 PM
Veteran Member

I am suspecting the lock barrel is turning in the handle assembly and can't turn the actuating rods enough to trip the lock mechanism. There is a screw that holds the lock barrel to the door handle surround and that may have worked out.

What you might try doing is pressing on the keyhole surround with a screwdriver or a pair of pliers and then try turning the key? See if the whole surround is moving, or not - it shouldn't. Other option is a small pair of pliers in the keyhole after you have inserted the key, the pliers can keep the surround from turning, and then turn the key.

Illustration here: Lock Barrel - Parts For XJ Series from (V)720125 to (V)812255 (X300) | Jaguar Classic Parts UK

I suspect the car was built by Wilcox, they are one of the big converters to hearses. They are in Chalfont St Peter, and have a service division I believe. Hearse for Sale | Limousine for Sale | Wilcox Limousines

The door has been modified from a standard car's door, I have no idea if the locks have been changed, or remains standard.

EDIT: Instead of surround, I really mean the lock barrel shouldn't turn when turning the key. I hope you know what I mean after looking at the parts diagram.

Last edited by Jagboi64; 12-02-2016 at 03:23 PM. Reason: clarity
The following users liked this post:
TheUndertaker (12-02-2016)
Old 12-02-2016, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Jagboi64
I am suspecting the lock barrel is turning in the handle assembly and can't turn the actuating rods enough to trip the lock mechanism. There is a screw that holds the lock barrel to the door handle surround and that may have worked out.

What you might try doing is pressing on the keyhole surround with a screwdriver or a pair of pliers and then try turning the key? See if the whole surround is moving, or not - it shouldn't. Other option is a small pair of pliers in the keyhole after you have inserted the key, the pliers can keep the surround from turning, and then turn the key.

Illustration here: Lock Barrel - Parts For XJ Series from (V)720125 to (V)812255 (X300) | Jaguar Classic Parts UK

I suspect the car was built by Wilcox, they are one of the big converters to hearses. They are in Chalfont St Peter, and have a service division I believe. Hearse for Sale | Limousine for Sale | Wilcox Limousines

The door has been modified from a standard car's door, I have no idea if the locks have been changed, or remains standard.
That's a really good post, thank you, I'll give it a try in the morning.
I do hope it works for me, I will update you with the results.

Old 12-02-2016, 03:28 PM
Veteran Member

That series of Jaguar is called X300, and the boot locks were notorious for not working after long periods of disuse when people only used the remote. It would take spraying some penetrating oil in the lock ( WD40 isn't a penetrating oil!) and working the key back and forth many, many times would get them to loosen up. I like Screwloose, but there are others. https://www.amazon.com/CRC-Screwloos.../dp/B000CCMLCQ

You might be in for a wrist workout!

Old 12-02-2016, 04:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts

...well, it gets interesting, the original exterior Jaguar body on this car is an X308 not X300, which one can tell from the headlights, running/turn lighting, grille and bumper trim among other things.

But it appears from the photo of the door, and what little I can see through the front windscreen that the interior is an X300.

It would be interesting to know which engine is in this car, the inline 6 or V8.

None of that helps with the lock issue, so my apologies... just an interesting observation of the combination of models on this example of what we call "pro cars" (professional services car conversions such as ambulances, hearses, etc) here in the USA. Pro car collectors have their own following and there are some pretty interesting cars from this niche out there.

Last edited by al_roethlisberger; 12-02-2016 at 04:44 PM.
Old 12-02-2016, 06:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by al_roethlisberger
...well, it gets interesting, the original exterior Jaguar body on this car is an X308 not X300, which one can tell from the headlights, running/turn lighting, grille and bumper trim among other things.
Good eye Al, I hadn't noticed the V8 style bumpers and lights. The M registration on the licence plate ran from 1 Aug 1994 -31 July 1995, so it should be an early 6 cylinder car.

Could have been a used car that was converted to a hearse and the bumpers upgraded at the time.

Old 12-02-2016, 07:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Wings have the turn signal repeaters a la X300 vice the leaper emblems of the X308. I'm betting a front-end scuffle with repairs effected with parts from an X308 donor.