XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Sunroof rattling but only when completely closed

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 03:32 PM
Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Sunroof rattling but only when completely closed

My sunroof rattles quite loudly over bumps when it's in the shut position. Tilt it slightly up and it stops ratting; slide it slightly back and it also stops rattling. Is there a part in the sunroof mechanism that tends to go loose or break that results in this odd situation? Looking at parts prices both the tilt/slide mechanism and the actual sunroof mechanism are incredibly pricey so if there's something I can just tighten that'll get rid of the noise, that would be perfect. Anyone found a silver bullet for this, or do you just live with the rattle or tilt it up every time you set off?

Old 01-13-2017, 03:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Mine's been rattling for several years. Just lived with it.

Old 01-14-2017, 09:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 514 Likes on 366 Posts

Im just starting to develop the rattle. With the roof closed, it goes away if i slip my fingers up over the internal lip at the front. The internal lining of the sunroof pushes in just enough to allow your fingers in, and the extra pressure seems to make the rattle go away. Not very scientific, and I have not yet been irritated enough to investigate further.

Old 01-14-2017, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

+1 CountyJag, I have pushed up on the interior trim panel and it stops the rattle, but that's an uncomfortable driving position. We've had tilt/slide mechanism failure on the lad's 96, which didn't rattle before nor after it failed. Since pulling it down for headliner renewal, it is fixed-in-place with the motor disconnected.

My 95 still works, but I quit using tilt 2 or 3 years ago when it malfunctioned once and then I read they were particularly prone to fail in the tilt function. Kept using fore/aft slide until the 96 failed and I took it apart and realized what a Rube-Goldberg contraption the thing was and how many moving parts had to work perfectly for it to not get stuck, then I just left it closed and endure the rattle on my driveway and the few bumpy roads I encounter.