XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

01 XJ8 Battery light on and "not charging" message on display

Old 10-14-2010, 06:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 XJ8 Battery light on and "not charging" message on display

While driving the Jag at 65 mph, I had an error message that the traction control was turned off. Then there was another error, it was a transmittion fault. I was on the freeway with the A/C on and then there was a hard shift down and back up. The car was running fine.. The radio turned off by itself...I turned the A/C off and the radio turned back on. while driving at 65 mph, all of the warning lights came on and the MPH went to zero. I turned off the A/C and everything returned to normal except the check engine light was on also the previous error stated above. As I pulled off of the freeway the car died. The battery was dead. With jumper cables, the car was able to start and it ran for about a minute. I pulled the alternator and it was tested at Kragen, it failed and was only charging at 8.5 volts

I replaced alternator with a rebuilt alternator from Kragen Auto. after a nightmare install, the battery light is "on" and there is an error message "Battery not charging" The battery is fully charged and I have approx 14.25 volts at the battery terminals from the alternator. Jaguar told me that It was the alternator so i replaced the new one with a newer on. I had the new old one and the new one bench tested and they passed. After re-installing the new (new) alternator, light is still on and the display message is still saying "Battery not charging"

please help.

Old 10-15-2010, 08:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 298 Posts

I had a similar problem and it was the battery ground strap. I saw it posted on a forum somewhere that the crimped ends lose good contact with the braided cable and it can be fixed by soldering the ends onto the cable. Worked for me. I had all kinds of weird things happening with the idiot lights and chimes and a dead battery condition. A jump might work and it might not. I guess it depended on whether the bad connection was jiggled right. Check your other grounds and posts too. These cars will act goofy if there is a bad connection or ground.

Old 10-15-2010, 10:01 AM

Jimmy,
I will check the ground today. I forgot to mention, the car starts and runs awsome.
Thanks,
John

Old 10-16-2010, 08:03 PM
Default similar post on battery light

on my KX8 I have similar problem. One tech was going to look at wiring to see what problem could be . I have replaced both cables on battery in trunk. Still the light is on. My system is completely charging; new alternator and still light is on. Just got back form 1,000 miles trip and light is still on but no problem with system charging. I do not know what to do. One on line member is going to check wiring diagrams to see what he could find. It all stared when my alternator went out. Light has not been off since. I have actually put a piece of tape over light to ignore but would to solve problem.

look for other post about battery light. I even checked all fuses in the car to see if a fuse was problem. nope! no luck!!!

Old 10-16-2010, 08:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

John:
In addition to the suggstions given concerning the ground strap, be aware that the charging signal comes from a separate circuit in the integral regulator. So, if the small wire connector on the alternator is shorted you could get that indication. I am not sure if the small wire connector is loose if it will do it. The bench test could very well test the function of the alternator (which you know is good) and not test the regulaator indicator circuit internal to the alternator.
I believe the original alternator was bad and either something happenned to the regulator (small) wires during installation or you have been unfortunate enough to get two bad replacements. They aren't from the same supplier, are they?

Old 10-16-2010, 10:31 PM

Same company.......Trying to get the core back and possibly have it rebuilt. Thanks

Old 11-01-2010, 01:59 PM
Default Problem solved

There are two different types of internal voltage regulators. My problem was solved by replacing the internal voltage regulator with a "high voltage light output" regulator from the Mfg. of the alternator.

Old 11-01-2010, 03:28 PM
ud
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

So you solved it did ya? Next time you might do better going to a local starter/alt. shop. My local shop rebuilt my XJR for $180 a month ago. It now sports an extra diode.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:02 PM
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by EngineerReeves
There are two different types of internal voltage regulators. My problem was solved by replacing the internal voltage regulator with a "high voltage light output" regulator from the Mfg. of the alternator.
So is there a way to get this alternator originally, without having to go through your issues?

Old 11-02-2010, 10:10 AM

I do not know. The alternator was purchased at Kragen O'reilly and the Mfg. Was Ultima out of california. They have updated the specs for this alternator and the new/remanufactured will have the updated voltage regulator.

Old 11-06-2010, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by EngineerReeves
While driving the Jag at 65 mph, I had an error message that the traction control was turned off. Then there was another error, it was a transmittion fault. I was on the freeway with the A/C on and then there was a hard shift down and back up. The car was running fine.. The radio turned off by itself...I turned the A/C off and the radio turned back on. while driving at 65 mph, all of the warning lights came on and the MPH went to zero. I turned off the A/C and everything returned to normal except the check engine light was on also the previous error stated above. As I pulled off of the freeway the car died. .
I have the same issue, only it was 4am on the freeway and I just barely got it home (with no lights). I'm reading up on all the threads before tackling the problem and it looks like it may be a couple issues:
1. Battery Cable
2. Alternator connections
3. Alternator

On top of it, I also have a whine like one of the bearings is going somewhere in the belt system. Hoping it's one in the same. My poor baby has been sitting in the driveway for 2 weeks and needs to get it's claws back out!

Old 11-07-2010, 02:55 PM

Update for my issues:
Removed alternator and bench tested it at Kragen/O'Riley. Failed the test and put out a strange noise. Ordered a rebuilt alternator. While under the hood, felt a slight wobble in the water pump pully, so I replaced the water pump as well. $89 for a new (not rebuilt) pump, $235 for alternator (with core). Alternator comes in tomorrow (1 day shipping). I never raised my car, did it all in the driveway. Steps I took:
1. Remove Air Cleaner assembly
2. Remove valve cover shroud
3. Removed lower bumper shroud
4. I now had a good view of all the bolts, unbolted Positive cable
5. Removed forward part of vent assy for alternator
6. Removed upper and lower alternator bolts
7. Pulled alternator away from bracket, removed rear wiring harness
8. Realized I couldn't get it out without removing fan assy
9. Removed 2 top bolts and unplugged Fan units
10. Pulled fan assy out
11. removed alternator.

This also gave me plenty of room for the water pump removal. I found a Kragen within 20 miles that had the water pump in stock, so the water pump is replaced now, and ran the engine for a minute (yeah, without belts) just to get the coolant into some of the crevasses. It's mostly full, and will fill it the rest after alternator replaced and belt installed. More tomorrow after I get the alternator and reinstall......

Old 11-07-2010, 02:57 PM

Oops, almost forgot, I disconnected the battery BEFORE doing any work!

Old 11-13-2012, 06:51 PM

HELLLLLPPP!!! I did all the above, bench tested alt, new battery, new ground, still light on and its not charging this is my 4th alt....all were new and tested and not charging in car but took out and bench tested 100%...im clueless where to go now plaease help!!

Old 11-14-2012, 10:44 AM

Are you sure it is not charging in the car? I was getting 13-14 volts at the battery in the trunk while the car was running and my battery light was still on. The problem I had was with the alternator vendor. There are two internal voltage regulators for my 2001 XJ8, high and a low voltage output. The three I put in all came with the low and the vendor sent me the hi and I replaced it myself and light went out. Hope this helps

Old 11-14-2012, 05:25 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Ok

I have the same problem on 98 XJ8

New alternator installed, 2 times.

Both times battery not charging message continued

Car runs great and does not let me down

this problem started with new alternator at 90K

Now has 137K

Last year I had car in for regular service and had the tech check voltage from
alternator to dashboard and then test the dashboard

Both offered to be faulty

Vendor on eBay will rebuild dash for under $ 100 - but removal and shipment to Iowa required

I will remove this winter for repair, I'll also get alternator rebuilt

Car does run very well - light is annoying

Old 11-14-2012, 06:13 PM
Received 238 Likes on 168 Posts

The X308 Jag's use the OBDII diagnostic & one of the measured parameters is the main system voltage. When the alternator fails the system voltage will go out of limits & as well as the usual warning lights coming on, it can throw up a 'P' code fail which will be stored in the ECU until reset.

Even if you have fixed the charging problem, you may still need to reset the OBDII diagnostics to finally extinguish the charging warning messages. This can be done either by a garage or you can do it yourself with a cheap OBDII code reader.

For reference, the Jag OBDII codes throw up the following 'P' numbers for main system voltage fails:

P0560 System Voltage Malfunction
P0561 System Voltage Unstable
P0562 System Voltage Low
P0563 System Voltage High

To check if your system is working normally, a cheap multimeter can be used to measure the voltage directly at the battery with the engine idling & a light electrical load. You should be getting around 14 volts +/- 0.5v.

If your system voltage is now ok after any repair but the charge warning mesage is still present, then try the OBDII reset before throwing more money at the car

The following 3 users liked this post by Red October:
bigcat777 (11-07-2013), danielsand (11-09-2013), jagjunky (10-26-2013)
Old 12-23-2012, 01:11 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Balcanthez
I have the same issue, only it was 4am on the freeway and I just barely got it home (with no lights). I'm reading up on all the threads before tackling the problem and it looks like it may be a couple issues:
1. Battery Cable
2. Alternator connections
3. Alternator

On top of it, I also have a whine like one of the bearings is going somewhere in the belt system. Hoping it's one in the same. My poor baby has been sitting in the driveway for 2 weeks and needs to get it's claws back out!
that crazy I had the same thing happen to me on highway 94 heading back home in calhan and all light on dash came on radio shut off ac shut off airbag light came on everything took alternator in tested good battery tested bad replaced batter had corrosion on the batter cables and tomorrow will inspect everything else whyen is jag going to fix these issues

Old 10-26-2013, 12:57 AM
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default check cure found in the s type threads

read my post about the cure of my jaguar s type 4.0 not charging.. this may be a cure all across the board .. try it

Old 11-07-2013, 01:28 PM
Default Xj8 1998

Battery not charging message

I have had this message go on and I am not able to understand why.

After changing the battery and rebuilding the alternator the message does not disappear

The garage I go too said he checked all ground connection and everything is ok

can someone help?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 01 XJ8 Battery light on and "not charging" message on display