I was doing some research on new ball joints and noticed that the new ball joints did not come with a grease fitting just like the factory joints. I decided since my 99 VDP only has 54k miles, that it was a bit premature for ball joints. Seemed to me that there was not much grease in the joint, just by squeezing the rubber on the joint. So I decided I would add grease fittings to the joints and see if it helped. Worst that can happen is I will still have to replace the ball joints. I drilled the hole with a #3 drill bit and tapped the hole with a 1/4'-28 thread for the grease fittings. Here is what it looks like.
This is the upper ball joint. It was fairly easy to get to.
I used a ball joint separator to break the top ball joint free to make room to get the drill in to get at the bottom ball joint.
Here is the spindle swung out of of the way to get to the lower ball joint.
Used a center punch to keep the drill bit from wandering.
Tapping the lower ball joint.
The threads in the lower ball joint.
The lower ball joint grease fitting. Used a 90 degree fitting for easier access with the grease gun.
I also went ahead and tapped the tie rod ends and greased them as well.
I took the car out for a short test drive and it seemed to be improved. Will see if it lasts and or how long it lasts. It was not too bad of a job. I took a bit of extra time to clean the brakes and add some brake quiet, so it took a little more time. I also took time to clean the abs sensors while I was in there.