XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Any possible chance to get the trunk open?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 04:58 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Any possible chance to get the trunk open?

I bought the car a week ago but the dealer only gave me the valet key. They said they would try to get it from where they got the car but I still haven't heard from them. Is there any way to maybe reset the valet feature with a scanner? Who knows what I have in the trunk for a week now, well at least there's no bad smells

Old 03-16-2010, 05:22 PM
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Don't think I would have bought it that way.

Old 03-16-2010, 05:24 PM
Received 90 Likes on 22 Posts

Dealer (Jaguar) maybe your only option...
Make sure to bring your own jar of Vaselline though...
I think dealerships (all of them) make more money on people losing their keys than anything else...

Old 03-16-2010, 05:32 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would insist the dealer provide me with at least one key at their expense. If your Lucky and press hard enough, they should give you 2 keys. Doesnt the car have a button on the dash for the trunk ?

Old 03-16-2010, 06:02 PM

Wouldn't the remote open the trunk? I would buy one on ebay if it'll open the trunk after reprogramming it.

Old 03-16-2010, 07:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Contact a Jaguar dealer to get the part number for the remote fob based on your VIN. Check ebay for the fob. Seen them for $14 to $60. Programming information freely available here.

Once out the door you should expect little from the folks that sold the car unless you paid a fair price at a dealer. From your posts I suspect that is not the case.

Old 03-16-2010, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by test point
Contact a Jaguar dealer to get the part number for the remote fob based on your VIN. Check ebay for the fob. Seen them for $14 to $60. Programming information freely available here.

Once out the door you should expect little from the folks that sold the car unless you paid a fair price at a dealer. From your posts I suspect that is not the case.
Sorry if these are stupid questions, but can someone please clarify why do I need to contact the dealer to get the part # for the remote in order to buy it? The remotes I've seen on ebay already say the car and year that they're for. Also, what does FOB stands for? And finally... Would I be able to open the trunk once the remote has been programed? Thanks

Old 03-17-2010, 06:05 PM

So is that it, no key no trunk? Even if I get the remote?

Old 03-17-2010, 06:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

I do not believe you can re-program the remote with a valet key- that would be something of a security compomise. You need to get a standard key and the dealer is the best way to make that happen.

Old 03-17-2010, 07:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

I would not be very happy with a purchase that only provided the valet key. But, if you get a fob part number from a dealer, buy one off ebay and program it there should be no problem accessing the trunk.

Last edited by test point; 03-17-2010 at 07:10 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by test point
I would not be very happy with a purchase that only provided the valet key. But, if you get a part number from a dealer, buy one off ebay and program it there should be no problem accessing the trunk.
Unfortunately at the time I trusted the dealer I bought the car from when they told me "call me tomorrow about that key". It's been a week now and I still haven't heard from them. Not to mention they told me that all their cars are guaranteed to pass MA state inspections. The day after I bought the car it started misfiring and they never even returned my calls. Thankfully it was something simple which I was able to fix myself with the help from members of this forums. I would have taken the car to them already but they're almost 40 miles from where I live and I'm a afraid bringing it to them may just result in a waste of time and gas.

Old 03-18-2010, 05:33 PM

Any way to get it open from access through the back seat? My 2006 GTO had a trunk release latch inside the trunk. Don't know if the Jags do too.

I know eventually I'll have to get the key whether is paying the dealer an arm an a leg or however I can but for now I'd like to get it open if there's another way.

Old 03-18-2010, 07:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

There is a 20 gal. fuel tank in the way!

Old 03-18-2010, 07:28 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

I do not know this to be a fact ; however, I recall a post that suggested removing the license plate and behind it is a circular tape over a hole and somehow they fish a (wire?) in an get it open. Now I have not done this but would like to see if someone can give us a thumbs or down. With a little luck you might find someone that has worked on the trunk lock that might help.

Attached Thumbnails Any possible chance to get the trunk open?-xj-trunk-latch.jpg  
Old 03-23-2010, 10:48 PM

I got it open in less than 2 minutes with the method suggested above by Gus. All I used was a long thin flat head screw driver and a a flash light to see through the hole and locate the latch mechanism. With the screw driver I lightly pushed on a small metal tab and the trunk popped right open and the valet mode was disabled (no need to disconnect battery). Hope this helps those with the same trunk issue.

Old 08-15-2010, 04:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gus
I do not know this to be a fact ; however, I recall a post that suggested removing the license plate and behind it is a circular tape over a hole and somehow they fish a (wire?) in an get it open. Now I have not done this but would like to see if someone can give us a thumbs or down. With a little luck you might find someone that has worked on the trunk lock that might help.
Any way an admin or mod can give me the permissions to view that attached image? My keys are locked in my trunk and its kind of an emergency.

Old 08-15-2010, 07:11 PM
Rae
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

As evidenced by newuser's success and to back up what Gus mentioned. This method will work. It's tricky though. I've accomplished once with a coat hanger following practice on a spare trunk lid I had laying around. Attempted a few months later, without practice to no avail. I now have a spare key for trunk, it came with new lock assembly ordered from dealer using number off of old lock assembly.
Good going newuser.

Ralph

Old 08-15-2010, 07:40 PM
ud
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Glad you got it off Newuser. Now back to your host of other problems. I would personally be taking the car back as you were not provided with the proper keys. Think $500 difference. Then there is your other issues, usually a Better Business Bureau call or threat of call and letting them know you're pursuing legal action, or will stand in front of their dealership with a nice big old sign (on the right of way of course) letting everone who drives by or in know exactly the type of transaction that you got from the dealership usually prompts the proper attention to your type of concerns.

Old 08-15-2010, 08:05 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

villa, there's no way to get u upgraded manually, our admin is on vacation. Good news, get your post count up another 8 or so, plus add 2 days and you'll have full access.

Old 08-16-2010, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by villa
Any way an admin or mod can give me the permissions to view that attached image? My keys are locked in my trunk and its kind of an emergency.
A picture would not help you get it open since you wont be able to see what part of the latch you need to work with.

As I described above, it was extremely easy for me to open it. Just remove the license plate and using a flash light look through the upper screw hole to locate where the latch mechanism is and once you see where it is, stick a semi long thin flat head screw driver through the hole and gently poke the mechanism where you see a small metal tab and it'll pop open.

The following 2 users liked this post by newuser:
kevinbbtaylor2013 (07-19-2014), Porsche407 (11-22-2012)

Quick Reply: Any possible chance to get the trunk open?