XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Any possible chance to get the trunk open?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 03:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

should this work on a 1999 XJR as well?

Old 12-15-2013, 03:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,782 Likes on 2,226 Posts

Welcome to the forum. When you have time, please visit the new member area:

New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

I don't think there is any difference between years. Are your keys locked in the trunk? A little more information and others will probably offer assistance.

The following users liked this post:
tjcincotta (12-15-2013)
Old 12-15-2013, 03:33 PM

ya, they are locked in the trunk, my girl locked both sets in the trunk in her purse... i have the valet key tho.

Old 12-15-2013, 03:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

As long as the valet button in the car has not been pressed, open the car with the valet key and press the trunk unlock switch on the dash.

Old 12-15-2013, 08:23 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default car shut down

wow, after many searches and talks with experts to no avail as to how to open trunk with no power, I was able to fumble around through the bottom right hole under the license plate and trip the latch to open the trunk. Maybe now I can continue on with my elusive problem. The red light by the P, for Park on the shift console is lit, and the car won't start, any solutions out there???

Old 12-15-2013, 08:37 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Well it will not start because that red light is saying your security system has been tripped

Old 12-16-2013, 03:31 AM
Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by funcars
wow, after many searches and talks with experts to no avail as to how to open trunk with no power, I was able to fumble around through the bottom right hole under the license plate and trip the latch to open the trunk. Maybe now I can continue on with my elusive problem. The red light by the P, for Park on the shift console is lit, and the car won't start, any solutions out there???
If you have the fob to remotely unlock the car, try locking/ unlocking a couple of times to see if red light goes out. If not, do a hard re-set, ie, remove negative cable from battery and touch it to positive. Don't close the boot while battery is disconnected, cos it only opens electronically.

Old 12-16-2013, 08:31 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

FYI You do have a key hole for the trunk.

Old 12-16-2013, 05:41 PM

I am trying to figure out how to reset what tripped the security alarm, have not had any luck. any suggestions. the battery was dead and that's why even the key hole did not work, but was able to open through hole behind license plate, cool.

Old 12-16-2013, 06:26 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I just had a similar issue...I locked my keys and key fob in the trunk of my car on Sunday. And locked myself out of my apartment in the process.

I called a local locksmith who managed to jimmy the passenger door open which set the alarm off. After a few minutes of trying the locks and stuff, and realizing the battery is not under the hood, he took the driver's door panel off. He was in there for only a few minutes(I was watching him from the other side of the door so I didn't see what he did), but the alarm chirped twice and everything unlocked. Then we just opened the trunk with the button.

It was an $80 mistake on my part, but he saved my bacon for sure. So there is definitely a way to disable the alarm from inside the driver's door panel, I just don't know how. Maybe he rotated the other side of the lock tumbler or jumpered the wires together in a way that the system *thought* the door was unlocked with the driver's key. Coolest thing I've seen in a while though, I was thoroughly impressed!

Old 12-16-2013, 06:28 PM

can you tell me which hole you found the tab in please? as I stand behind my car 1999 XJR there are 4 screw holes and 4 additional holes and as I have been lookin into them and I don't as yet see the tab, I don't see little things as well as I once did, but if I could narrow my focus to one, I may be able to locate. how far in is it?

Old 12-16-2013, 07:20 PM

I used the bottom right hole and fumbled with an offset screwdriver over to the middle area towards where the latch is and it popped open

Old 12-16-2013, 07:26 PM

I still have not been able to clear the red light on the shifter plate, I think it has to do with security lock out. I have disconnected the battery but it comes right back on, I have left the battery disconnected over night and made sure it was charged good. My fob does not work anymore either, I replaced the 2-2016 batteries in it and tried to reprogram, maybe it can't be reprogrammed with the security lock out light on??? Any Suggestions??

Old 12-17-2013, 09:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,618 Likes on 874 Posts

Hi
I use the snipping tool in windows 7 to copy the Central Locking Switch information in the 1999 Jaguar Vehicle Care manual.

It describes its operation and it turning on the red security light in the gear shifter surround.

Here is the Jpeg of the page:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4a4tepkx1d...tch%20info.jpg

Jim Lombardi

Old 12-18-2013, 04:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

And... for the archives, the previous comment that the key hole in the trunk did not work because the battery was dead is WRONG. It is a mechanical lock relaease, but they do gum up from lack of use. It is a good idea to periodically open the trunk with the key to keep it working, or even to lube it.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:58 AM

Thanks for the clarification on the key hole operation. I was thinking that it was mechanical, but since it didn't work either, I was baffled. The key was turning fine but it still did not work. I will have to see what has gone wrong with the mechanics of it now.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:02 AM

My security light in the gear shifter lever surround is still staying on, not just flashing. It seems to have electronically locked out the starting of the car???

Old 09-29-2018, 04:27 PM
Default Geez

Originally Posted by Gus
I do not know this to be a fact ; however, I recall a post that suggested removing the license plate and behind it is a circular tape over a hole and somehow they fish a (wire?) in an get it open. Now I have not done this but would like to see if someone can give us a thumbs or down. With a little luck you might find someone that has worked on the trunk lock that might help.
ok so on oval opening on left of plate under black sticker I put a pick in between two pieces of metal pushed down and it opened saved my *** I'm a detailer and customers car was ready 2001 xj8 first and last post thanks for the help

Old 11-07-2018, 07:53 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Access to trunk through rear seat

I got the trunk opened through the rear seats. No one talk about it . I had the valet mode on so that was the only option

I accessed
Originally Posted by newuser
I bought the car a week ago but the dealer only gave me the valet key. They said they would try to get it from where they got the car but I still haven't heard from them. Is there any way to maybe reset the valet feature with a scanner? Who knows what I have in the trunk for a week now, well at least there's no bad smells
————///////-/

i was was able to access the trunk through the rear seat, see pictures

Old 11-07-2018, 08:51 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Trunk access through the rear seat

Originally Posted by newuser
I bought the car a week ago but the dealer only gave me the valet key. They said they would try to get it from where they got the car but I still haven't heard from them. Is there any way to maybe reset the valet feature with a scanner? Who knows what I have in the trunk for a week now, well at least there's no bad smells
you can get to the trunk through the rear

Pull the strings that are tucked at the bottom of the rear seat meeting the seating part and pull also the rear seat towards you.

You will see an aluminum plate that needs to be removed, I just pulled it with the help of a flat screwdriver .

You will see an opening .

You will have to cut the material to get to the trunk.
seat
see pictures

Quick Reply: Any possible chance to get the trunk open?