XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Failsafe engine mode

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2022, 01:23 PM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Failsafe engine mode

Our 2002 VDP with 68K miles has started flashing the amber FAILSAFE ENGINE MODE warning a few miles after startup. There is no change in how the car runs or responds (as I have experienced when other cars have gone into 'limp home mode). The warning remains until the next startup, when it then reappears after a few miles have gone by.

I am aware of how sensitive these cars are to battery voltage after getting errant TRAC or ABS warnings traced to that problem, but the failsafe issue occurs when the battery is fully charged. The low mileage indicates the car isn't driven often, so I now keep it on a maintainer. It makes no difference how the car drives, but the message worries my wife and obscures the odometer. Any ideas??

Old 02-19-2022, 01:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 967 Likes on 766 Posts

It’s all a guess until you get codes from the engine management computer.

The following users liked this post:
RJ237 (02-19-2022)
Old 02-20-2022, 02:40 AM
Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Cathead
I am aware of how sensitive these cars are to battery voltage after getting errant TRAC or ABS warnings traced to that problem, but the failsafe issue occurs when the battery is fully charged.
As mentioned, do get the error codes read, preferably with a proper OBD scanner that can read the Jaguar specific codes and not just the generic codes.

On the battery voltage a few thoughts; Not sure how you determine your battery is fully charged, but the only proper way is to actually measure the charge. Most car part stores in the US can do that for you. Next best way is to measure the voltage on the battery with the engine off and engine idling and make sure they fall within spec.

The problem with our Jaguars is that the voltage on the battery could be great, but what happens next. So having clean battery clamps, clean grounds, fuses, connectors etc is really important. Every couple of years I spend a few hours on my XJR cleaning everything that might cause a voltage drop. Lots of information on this forum.

But lets get those codes and take it from there.

Jeroen