XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Autounfolding mirrors..?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 12:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Autounfolding mirrors..?

Am I missing something..?

Almost every time I fire her up to go for a ride I keep forgetting pushing that unfold button. This is quite embarrasing as I park her in a lot close to the police station, and the same officer has smiled at me twice nodding toward my unfolded driver's side mirror as I've been passing him

More than once I've hoped for a red light to get a chance to unfold them. It doesn't work while driving, and it does look rather silly driving along with the mirrors folded... I always park in such a manner that I don't have to use the mirrors to start driving, by reversing her in to her place.

So, is this the way these mirrors are made to work? Oh, I'm not using the memory function with the seat, stearing wheel and mirror position as I am her only driver, would that do the trick?

Old 03-13-2017, 06:51 PM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes, I set the seat/steering to my fav drive position (position #1) then set memory position #3 to a way back easy exit position, then shut off the car (oh make sure the knob on steering column is off, if not it'll want to move things on its own, always messes me up lol) so next time I enter the car I am forced to touch the memory #1 and that brings the seats/steering into drive position for me....just my two cents...

Last edited by jc1kz; 03-14-2017 at 05:48 AM.
Old 03-14-2017, 01:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 264 Likes on 145 Posts

Auto folding mirrors?? I didn't know any X308's came with auto folding mirrors! I have an 02 XJR and mine don't automatically fold like newer cars. What year or model did they have auto folding mirrors?

Last edited by XJDanny; 03-14-2017 at 01:19 AM.
Old 03-14-2017, 03:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 470 Likes on 352 Posts

The mirrors came as standard manual push in, or the power fold option which folds the mirrors electronically when you press the down button with the selection switch in the centre. There was no option to have the come out automatically, sadly you'll just have to make sure you check before you pull away. I was trained to always check my mirrors before moving a vehicle irrespective of position, so this never happens to me.

Also, if you move the selection to the passengers side it will tilt for you when reversing if you tap the down button once.

The following users liked this post:
XJDanny (03-15-2017)
Old 03-14-2017, 07:20 AM

Thank you all

I do understand that auto(un)folding at times would be a bad idea, but I find it strange that it wasn't an option? There is no way I can program it to work that way with the fob or the memory settings?

It seems I'll just have to remember to touch that button every time.

I use the tilt function a lot

Many strange things to remember; it locks the doors when I put it in gear... Hard to remember to unlock when picking people up

Old 03-14-2017, 09:56 AM
luc
Received 195 Likes on 136 Posts

The best feature of the auto folding mirrors ( that I fitted on my US specs XJR) is not at all the folding part but rather the auto chromatic part of it.
In plain English, as the interior rear view mirror, they dim when you have a car(s) headlight behind you
Was never offered as an option on US car but there was a kit available to retro fit them

Old 03-14-2017, 11:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 487 Likes on 370 Posts

luc do you know where you could get the kit or if it's still available? Or at least what it was called? I don't care much for the power folding but I really want the electrochromic outside mirrors. The only place I've seen them so far is at dealers for $180 each...

Old 03-14-2017, 01:55 PM
luc
Received 195 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by nilanium
luc do you know where you could get the kit or if it's still available? Or at least what it was called? I don't care much for the power folding but I really want the electrochromic outside mirrors. The only place I've seen them so far is at dealers for $180 each...
Here is a very old post from someone that copied a post of mine
BTW, the kit seems to still be available but over $1,300

Hi guys
just found this on a diff forum might help (damn I just ordered my manual one!!!!..and I would REALLY like the electrochromatic feature)

There are 2 different kits,one for X300 ( XJ6 1994 to 1997)and one for X308 (XJ8 1998 to 2003)

The XJ8 kit, part # JLM 20460 also add electrochromatic glass on both sides ( controled by the interior rear view mirror),while the XJ6 kit,part # JLM 21355, only have the fold feature.

"A few years back,the price for the XJ6 was $392 and $495 for the XJ8.

I did the XJ8 on my 01 XJR and it's plug-and-play and very simple.

Just remove the door trim, the little plastic piece on the top front of the door to access the mirror bolt, remove old mirror,remove the pinted/chrome cover from old mirror,install on new ones, put new ones in and you're done.
A relay that goes under the fuse box under the rear seat,driver side, is supplied but most US cars already have the relay.
The "fold" switch is already there.
You put the mirror selector ( left/right) in neutral (center position) and you use the position switch ( the round one) to fold in by pressing it toward you (as to angle the glass in) and to fold out it's the opposite.

Luc 01 XJR"

The following 2 users liked this post by luc:
nilanium (03-14-2017), someguywithajag (04-12-2020)
Old 03-15-2017, 01:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts

It seems like it depends on where you are located if auto/powerfold mirrors were typically available.

I can't speak for the X308, but powerfold mirrors were available on the X300 but seem very rare in the USA. It seems that most of the USA X300s were ordered with standard packages and as such are pretty consistent on what they all have, and don't have and powerfold mirrors weren't common. But as noted above, you likely can retrofit the powerfold mirrors if you buy the individual parts. I don't know if the wiring is all there, but I bet it is. BTW the electrochromatic(dimming) wing/side mirrors were available for the X300 as well, you need the correct central rearview mirror and the correct mirrors for the wings/sides. All are expensive.

One thing to keep in mind for the X300/X308 powerfold mirrors is that the plastic gear is known to easily strip out and the mirrors either don't move anymore or they no longer sense if they are deployed/folded and will flop around to the extremes.

Here is a write up on rebuilding the powerfold mirrors with metal gears:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...mirrors-92084/

Old 03-15-2017, 01:57 PM

Funny thing, the shop where I bought my 308 informed me beforehand that the one previous owner told them that it didn't have these mirrors. I simply had to call them later to inform them of my "discovery" when I got home some 600 kilometres away These mirrors had never been folded till I did...

However, if I open my windows without first unfolding the mirrors.., then they scream at me as they actually are in contact with my windows when folded. No big deal, really.