XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

XJR premium Alpine head unit replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 07:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XJR premium Alpine head unit replacement

Folks:

Have a new head unit - JVC KD-AVX77 - that I want to throw in to replace the Alpine head unit. Have a trim package to clean up the fascia and am ready to go. The Alpine in the XJR ties into the power amp in the left-side of the boot over the CD changer. My plan is to first get the JVC hooked into the amp - don't want to string speaker wires to front etc (although from what I have read in this forum the JVC amp probably has a lot more horsepower).

I have checked out the wiring to the amp and can see the AI-net cables (one in from the CD changer and the other out back to the head unit) and also a harness that has two seperate bunches of wires that go into a large connector. The inside side is definitely the speaker wire bundle (right colours and count). The one set on the left side (looking at it from the back of car) of the connector I guess is the line out feeds from the head unit as well as red yellow and brown which I take to be power stuff. The line out feeds are black x 4 so presumably these are shielded cables, one for each of front L R and back L R.

Now my plan is up in the front is to remove the OEM connector to the Alpine (I think its yellow from all the threads I have seen) and fix the ends of the lines (of the cable back to the amp) with bull connectors for each of the wires that lead back to the amp. For the audio out lines I will splice them into male RCA jacks (I assume they will be shielded cables) that I can plug into the back of the new JVC head unit's line out jacks.

So here is my questions:

1. Am I wrong or am I wrong?

2. Does anybody know what the pin outs are for the connector that goes into the back of the Alpine?

3. I guess I can rig up the oem connector pig tails with bull connectors and female RCA connectors, plug it into my new "harness" and try one "line out" at a time to get the front L R and back L R corridinated.

thanks
Rand

2000 XJR / 1990 XJS conv