XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Is It Better/Cheaper to replace entire control arm than just bushings?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 04:31 PM
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Is It Better/Cheaper to replace entire control arm than just bushings?

Here's another question that shows how little I know about cars.

The dealer said my front lower control arm bushings are torn.

To replace the bushings, I was quoted $547 parts and labor.

Would it be smarter/cheaper/same price to replace the entire control arms which come with new bushings? My thinking is that although I'll pay hundreds more for the new control arms (even if they themselves are fine), the labor to replace the control arm itself might be less or equal to the cost to replace simply the bushings. If so, I'd have new bushings AND new control arms for the same price or similar (if this is the case) as just replacing the bushings alone.

Is this sound reasoning? And, cost-wise, does anyone know if my math pans out?

Thanks very much...

SirJag

Old 05-18-2011, 04:43 PM
Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

I suspect that most of the labor cost is in getting the control arms out of and back into the car, and relatively less with the actual bushing swap. The biggest cost savings would be if you could do the job yourself, of course. If you have some jackstands and tools, and can afford to have the car out of commission for a few days, it does not seem to be that daunting of a job (compared to , say, overhauling a transmission! ) Then while you were at it, you could replace the shocks and shock bushings, and any other odd bits in the front suspension. When my time comes for this, that is probably what I will do.

The following users liked this post:
SirJag (05-19-2011)
Old 05-18-2011, 04:44 PM
Received 70 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by SirJag
Here's another question that shows how little I know about cars.

The dealer said my front lower control arm bushings are torn.

To replace the bushings, I was quoted $547 parts and labor.

Would it be smarter/cheaper/same price to replace the entire control arms which come with new bushings? My thinking is that although I'll pay hundreds more for the new control arms (even if they themselves are fine), the labor to replace the control arm itself might be less or equal to the cost to replace simply the bushings. If so, I'd have new bushings AND new control arms for the same price or similar (if this is the case) as just replacing the bushings alone.

Is this sound reasoning? And, cost-wise, does anyone know if my math pans out?

Thanks very much...

SirJag
In my experience the time replacing the bushing was not much longer than removing the control arm in the first place. A good indy may not charge you a lot extra for changing the bushing. Not a job I would jump at to do though.
It is another matter for the rear lower control arm with the ball joint.
I had a second vehicle (just like the jokes) while I figured out the best way to press out the ball joint. For these it is probably worthwhile timewise getting a generic control arm with ball joint and bushing at either end.

SirJag (05-19-2011)
Old 05-18-2011, 05:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,333 Likes on 1,053 Posts

there's a company that do exchange units here in the UK I could ask the cost involved?

SirJag (05-19-2011)
Old 05-18-2011, 06:00 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My lower ball joints are apparently loose and I was quoted $1100 by Jaguar here in Ohio...$500 of that was labour nd two replace both lower control arms. Its easier to do the whole unit apparently.

SirJag (05-19-2011)
Old 05-18-2011, 06:52 PM
Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

If they are charging $547 to replace both lower control arm bushings for that is not too steep. You have to remove the remove the spring pan and spring and then the bushings are labor intensive to remove and then press the new ones in. If you do have this work done replace the lower ball joint at the same time to save on labor later on (the upper one can be replaced at any time with the spring in place).

I don't recommend you do this yourself unless you are really stubborn and can purchase or rent or make your own spring compressor (there is an active thread on making your own on this forum). I rented the tool from a shop. Removing the control arms went well but the bushing had been rusting in place for 10 years and refused to move under the persuasion of heat, PB Blaster and a 10 ton press. I finally had to press out the rubber and then cut a notch in the metal sleeve until I could drive a punch between the bushing and the arm and roll the sleeve inward. The ball joint put up a similiar fight. It took 10x as long to get the old parts out as it did to put the new parts in.

If I had to do again I would buy all new control arms with new bushing installed. The front one comes with a new ball joint also. I believe that Jag dealers will only replace with new units because getting the bushings out is too much labor

SirJag (05-19-2011)
Old 05-18-2011, 09:56 PM
Rae
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

SirJag & The Jagster: I too have control arm bushings on my list of things to do. I've made the spring compressor, but time and money still has me on hold. SirJag if your price is for both lower control arms (4 bushings), I would seriously consider this, and add the lower ball joints for good measure while everything is apart. rocklandjag is on target with his response. I also agree with Boomer, most of this cost is labor, which would be the same regardless of new control arms with bushing installed already. This job seems ripe for headaches. Although, I do hate paying someone else to do something I can eventually muddle through.
Jagster, give Andy Bernstein (Jagtech) a call. He has a shop in Powell, OH should be in the yellow pages and see what he can do for you. Good luck guys.

SirJag (07-03-2011)
Old 05-19-2011, 08:37 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was wrong with the quote...it was $1500! Thanks, I have spoken to Andy, need to schedule a time that suits both of us