XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Cam shaft woes :(

Old 02-13-2011, 12:45 PM
Received 6,239 Likes on 5,441 Posts

How can you get all eight cams resting on the base circle at once?

Old 02-13-2011, 01:08 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

you only need 4 cylinders on base circles, and just cut the cam apart in 4 sections and put them all on the base circles for the exhaust cam, and then reweld them...
But seriously, you have to install the cam in proper postion and then rotate the engine to the base circle for each cylinders exhaust lobes on that engine bank. Check clearances with a feeler gauge,then remove the cam after recording clearances. this is assuming that some are out of spec. If theyre all in your done, and consider yourself lucky. Otherwise remove the cam again and set all the out of spec clearances with the correct lash shims.

Old 02-13-2011, 02:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

Brutal (or others):
What is the trick of getting the shims out of a used bucket?

Old 02-13-2011, 03:19 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow, I'm learning a lot... Thanks guys! I will be doing the whole timing chain system now. The cam breaking might have been the Jags way of telling me to stop being a cheapskate and do it right.

Old 02-13-2011, 03:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,333 Likes on 1,053 Posts

@Spark - I use a magnet to lift them out, Jaguar use an airline adaptor tool! yeh, like the idea of shooting a shim across the workshop....

Old 02-14-2011, 02:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Originally Posted by JagScott
Wow, I'm learning a lot... Thanks guys! I will be doing the whole timing chain system now. The cam breaking might have been the Jags way of telling me to stop being a cheapskate and do it right.
It's a sign.

Sort of like going window shopping for a XJR, starting up the old car to leave, and having the idiot light for the alternator that was just fixed last week glowing at you in the old car ... all the way home.

Today it's a different story. Idiot light doesn't come on at all when the key is turned to position 1.

Maybe the old car was just mad at the possibility of being replaced.

Old 02-14-2011, 06:15 PM
Received 6,239 Likes on 5,441 Posts

Originally Posted by Brutal
you only need 4 cylinders on base circles, and just cut the cam apart in 4 sections and put them all on the base circles for the exhaust cam, and then reweld them...
But seriously, you have to install the cam in proper postion and then rotate the engine to the base circle for each cylinders exhaust lobes on that engine bank. Check clearances with a feeler gauge,then remove the cam after recording clearances. this is assuming that some are out of spec. If theyre all in your done, and consider yourself lucky. Otherwise remove the cam again and set all the out of spec clearances with the correct lash shims.
I had forgotten the old cut and weld camshaft trick.

The suggestion about having the cams on base circle was for tightening the bearing caps not checking the shims.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:21 PM
Received 7,851 Likes on 4,749 Posts

If you lock the crank in the '45 degrees after TDC position' with the 'crank-lock-tool' no piston will touch a valve and you can rotate the exhaust cam 'round and round' until your hands get tired. You can install and remove the exhaust cam 'over-and-over' (EVENLY) until all the follower bucket shim lash specs are correct.

I have used the special tool to depress the buckets and it is easier to remove the exhaust cam than to try to catch the edge of the buckets for more than a few lobes.

The intake cam is a little harder to remove/install so the special tool might be the way to go. It is still difficult to use and not worth buying unless you work on alot of engines.

Here is a TSB for the S-Type 3.0 engine but the tool is used the same way for the V8.

bob gauff

Attached Files
The following users liked this post:
Sean B (02-15-2011)
Old 02-15-2011, 07:08 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by motorcarman
If you lock the crank in the '45 degrees after TDC position' with the 'crank-lock-tool' no piston will touch a valve and you can rotate the exhaust cam 'round and round' until your hands get tired. You can install and remove the exhaust cam 'over-and-over' (EVENLY) until all the follower bucket shim lash specs are correct.

I have used the special tool to depress the buckets and it is easier to remove the exhaust cam than to try to catch the edge of the buckets for more than a few lobes.

The intake cam is a little harder to remove/install so the special tool might be the way to go. It is still difficult to use and not worth buying unless you work on alot of engines.

Here is a TSB for the S-Type 3.0 engine but the tool is used the same way for the V8.

bob gauff
Many Thanks Bob, I'm in the process of polish/port a pair of heads, this is super helpful. The 303-693 tool is £320/$515 at SPX Europe, is there another way?

Old 02-16-2011, 08:12 AM

The V8 tool is 303-540 but I don't have a picture or instructions.
It is described in JTIS 303-01 (Engine) General Procedures, Valve Adjustment.

The TSB I posted is for the V6 but the Idea is the same.

bob gauff

Old 02-17-2011, 01:09 PM

Well, I located a couple of camshafts. Cheapest I could find was $100 on ebay... That sound about right? I will be ordering the timing kit as well, so I can over hall the whole system. Thanks for the help everyone!

Old 02-18-2011, 05:21 AM
Veteran Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by JagScott
Well, I located a couple of camshafts. Cheapest I could find was $100 on ebay... That sound about right? I will be ordering the timing kit as well, so I can over hall the whole system. Thanks for the help everyone!
Good luck, and keep us updated, rooting for you here!

Old 02-18-2011, 08:52 AM

I believe ANY 4.0 exhaust cam for the 'A'bank will work. I sold an S-Type head to someone for installation on a 1999 XJ8. He used the exhaust cam in the head and installed his intake cam for the AJ27 4 lobe CMPS (S-Type AJ28 uses 5 lobe)
He only had to adjust the valve shims for the intake cam.
bob gauff

Old 02-18-2011, 04:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

Jagscott:
Dont buy the cam yet. from what Bob says, my XJR cam will work and I will send it to you.

Old 02-19-2011, 07:04 PM
ttl
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by plumsauce
If you do not go through with the full chain set, then you will have to get the new cam onto the sprocket without ever removing that zip tie.
As far as I know, the second the sprocket bolt is undone, the camshaft will have to be retimed from scratch since there's no key on the camshaft. The position of the chain on the sprocket is irrelevant at this point.

The good news is that retiming is pretty straightforward as long as you have a flywheel locking tool and a camshaft locking tool.

Old 02-20-2011, 02:49 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ttl
As far as I know, the second the sprocket bolt is undone, the camshaft will have to be retimed from scratch since there's no key on the camshaft. The position of the chain on the sprocket is irrelevant at this point.
Quite right. Must have had brain fade on that one.

Old 02-21-2011, 04:58 PM

Jagscott:
Dont buy the cam yet. from what Bob says, my XJR cam will work and I will send it to you.
Hey great! I really appreciate it Ross. Let me know how you want to go about it.

Old 04-25-2012, 04:34 PM
Received 139 Likes on 117 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by plums
@jagscott

A possible contributing factor is the cam orientation.

You did the first cam with the cam oriented so that the base circle was facing the cam buckets. Less spring pressure.

Then you attempted the second one without moving the cam to a similar relaxed position. There is more pressure involved.

For anyone else following along, the missing step is to finish the first side by undoing the zip tie and releasing the retaining pin. Then, bump the starter to get the next cam into working position. WITH THE FUEL PUMP DISABLED.

The cam bearing looks fine. You could smooth it out a little bit with emery cloth wrapped around a cylindrical object.

Most overhead cam repair procedures note that the lifter buckets wear to the cam lobe it is matched to. Therefore, if someone does not ship the entire head, get the lifter buckets and shims, and make sure they are labeled at disassembly.

In the meantime, put the bearing caps back into proper position with finger tight bolts so that you do no lose the original positions.

When you are finished, you should have: old head, old valves/springs, replacement cam, buckets.matched to replacement cam.

You will need to check all the valve lashes on the exhaust valves on the replaced cam. A little loose=noise. A little tight=burned valves.
Would it not be easier(and more accurate) to rotate the engine by means of the crankshaft bolt until the second cam to be removed is under the least pressure from the valve springs(using the mark 1 eyeball method) - or am I mis- understanding this. I need to know because I'm tackling my tensioners this weekend

Old 04-25-2012, 05:42 PM
Received 446 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by batroute
Would it not be easier(and more accurate) to rotate the engine by means of the crankshaft bolt until the second cam to be removed is under the least pressure from the valve springs(using the mark 1 eyeball method) - or am I mis- understanding this. I need to know because I'm tackling my tensioners this weekend
That is what I did. Rotate the crank bolt with a 24 mm socket clockwise until all the lobes are clear. Do this for one side, finish the tensioner install on that side, then do it for the other side.
Vector

Old 04-25-2012, 07:13 PM
Veteran Member

Some people bump the engine with the starter.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cam shaft woes :(