XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Car turns over but won't start

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 08:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car turns over but won't start

My xj8 was running fine. came out two mornings ago to start it. it turned over but would not start. sounded like no gas. checked fuel pump, it was fine and so were fuses and relays. sent to shop. they say no compression in two cylinders. You need a new engine! Another guy told me to do a leakdown test to determine cause of loss of compression. doesn't think i need a new engine. I have no clue. Help please

Old 06-18-2010, 10:29 PM

Do I really need a new engine?

Old 06-18-2010, 11:21 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Who knows, I doubt it though. You need more details about the car posted to get more accurate information.

Try putting some oil, my recommendation is Marvel Mystery Oil, into the cylinder. remove the plugs, drop enough in to soak the whole piston. This way it will release any stuck rings and help with the compression.

Let it soak overnight, theres more steps to the process and theres a million way to skin a cat.

I would pull the fuel pump and ignition relays, then turn the motor over some . after that reinstall new plugs, reconnect relays, and try starting it.

Free advice, what can I say.

Old 06-18-2010, 11:41 PM
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by StrateLoss
Try putting some oil... into the cylinder.
X2 If you have a cylinder showing low compression. Add an oz or two of engine oil to the cylinder. Spin it over some with the fuel pump disabled. Re-check the compression. If it came back up, you may have worn rings/cylinder bores. It is also possible that the cylinders have been washed down with fuel and will be "restored" after pouring in some oil. If it still shows no compression, you may have bent valves or a hole in a piston. Just some ideas
-Rob

Old 06-19-2010, 08:34 AM
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts
Exclamation

What year? -98 or '99 or so? Engine sound OK with no nasty rattles or clonks when when cranking (except it cranks fast fast like no compression)? If yes, you could always try the old trick which has been posted here many times:

Fully charge battery

Hold foot flat (really flat) on floor (forces ECU to cut off fuel)

Turn over continuously for 30-40 seconds or more then lift off accelerator a tiny bit until she starts to spit into life on a cylinder or two

If first go doesn't wake any cylinders, wait a few seconds for starter motor to cool down and repeat until some do or battery goes flat

Gradually (very gradually) lift off throttle and blip very gently until more cylinders chime in

Back off throttle gently until they are all firing

Admire lots (really LOTS) of smoke from exhausts (have friend take picture for posterity)

DO NOT SWITCH OFF - allow to idle until choke cycle complete (2-3 minutes or so depending on ambient temp) or go for drive to enjoy relief of not having to have replacement engine

Drive to shop and tell them why they are a crowd of monkeys and won't be getting any more of your business

Alternatively do the oil thing. Both methods work. If this doesn't do it you may have something more seriously wrong.

Good luck anyway, let us know how you get on!

Jim

The following users liked this post:
Ms. Streettoonz (08-10-2013)
Old 06-19-2010, 09:36 AM

I totally agree Jima. The shop is a bunch of monkeys and definitely will not be getting anymore business from me.

Old 06-19-2010, 10:13 AM
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

1) I find it hard to beleive that the engine would not start solely due to 2 low compression cylinders - the other 6 should fire and run... even a 4 cylinder will run on 3. At least you should have heard it trying to start and run.

Something sounds fishy here, from the diagnosis perspective.

2) what level of diagnosis did they do, beyond measuring compression? One can NOT determine that a new engine is required without going much deeper than this. Even if their compression test was accurate, it could be as simple as burnt valves or even less than that... These monkeys should be on typewriters, generating Shakespeare, not working on Jags.

3) Unless the timing chain has slipped, catastrophic loss of compression does NOT normally happen overnight, except in the cylinder washing scenario mentioned previously (which, of course, is NOT catastrophic). If the compression truly is low (and I'd get a second opinion), then pulling the valve covers is in order, to look at the cam timing and to determine whether a secondary chain tensioner has let loose.

Last edited by QuadManiac; 06-19-2010 at 10:24 AM.
Old 06-19-2010, 02:38 PM

I really appreciate all of your input. I feel that my initial discomfort with their diagnostics is warranted. I'm going to have the car towed to a different shop for a second opinion. Man, I thought if I was speaking about a second opinion it would be me in the hospital, not my jag.

Old 06-19-2010, 07:43 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

If I am correct your car is a 2003, if that is the case you are outside the area of concern for Nikasil / washed cylinders and that puts you into another area of concern. You say you have fuel, did you pressure check it? It should be putting out 42psi+/- a few. What lead up to the car not starting? Short trip long trip, was it running rough? Do you have any codes or check engine light? Chances of washed cylinders on your car is rare for that year car. Check your fuel and spark! I do think Quad may be on the right track and you should be considering his direction. Please let us know what you find.

I did forget to say that we had 2 other situations that caused no start. One was the shifter selector position. Move it from “P” to “N” and give it a try. The other was electrical and caused by the tire in the trunk braking the High power protection module located on the back end of the battery. You should look into that area as well.

Last edited by Gus; 06-19-2010 at 07:49 PM.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:11 AM

drove the night before from work to home. about 10 miles. car ran great as usual. next morning went to start it and it shuddered and shook. turned it off after about 15 seconds. then later when i tried to start it again, got the high starter whinning sound with no catching. have previously been getting "no abs/trac" reading but no other engine lights. I have tried moving the shifter from park to neutral and then starting it, but no luck.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:13 AM

oh, and yes, my car is a 2003 xj8

Old 06-20-2010, 09:24 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

If your starter is spinning but not catching the engine you have a problem with the starter. As for the car shuddering and the ABS that is another problem and should be address after the starter problem is repaired.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:47 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Gus I think what hes describing is the loss of compression due to flooding free spinnning. You know what I mean ? I had this on my 04 after I clean the throttle body and alot of cleaner went into the TB.

I did the pedal to the floor and crank away, took about 15 times the amount of normal cranking to start her up.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:58 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

I think you might be correct but no way of knowing by diagnostics on the forum. The key words for me was the starter was spinning.

Old 06-20-2010, 10:33 AM
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by ocsteve
oh, and yes, my car is a 2003 xj8
OK, nice to finally know, in that case pay no attention to anything I said. As Gus says, if the starter isn't even catching get that sorted first then see what transpires.

Jim

Old 08-10-2013, 03:26 PM

My 04 XJ8 wouldn't start for the past couple days after I found the battery terminal loose and tightened it. I tried to crank it and it wouldn't start just turned over. I read a post to have a battery charger on the battery then try to start it. I don't have a battery charger so I used my other car and jumper cables. Tried the first time for 20 seconds and nothing. Waited a minute then tried again and it started. Hope this info might help someone else. ��

Old 04-22-2022, 01:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mate if U have no clue on what's wrong I suggest you find an Indy whom can assist you

Old 04-22-2022, 04:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 857 Likes on 705 Posts

Nine years ago: I'll bet he either got it started by now or junked it -- probably both.

The following users liked this post:
Salliemohamed (04-22-2022)
Old 04-22-2022, 04:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

sorry missed the date