XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

central locking issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 07:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default central locking issue

Hi can anyone help me with this...I was cleaning my 1998 xj8 a few days ago and accidentally knocked the locking latch in the driver's door, into the closed position, I poked it around a little and it was back in the open position, not too serious .Now when I use key fob it locks/ unlocks but when I get into car and into gear car automatically locks, still ok but when I open drivers door it doesn't unlock all the doors (it used to open all doors) then I have to use the key fob to lock the doors and then again to unlock the remaining doors, is it possible to reset the locking system or what mechanism is inside the door, ..In general now it is not reliably locking I am having to check the driver's door handle and the little silver door lock thingy seen through the window sits a little higher than the others, everything was fine until I knocked it into locked position. I just want it to behave again!!!!!, any advice suggestions appreciated.... Many thanks

Old 03-22-2017, 07:38 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The same sort of thing happened to me, a hard reset fixed it.

Old 03-22-2017, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by deancantrell
The same sort of thing happened to me, a hard reset fixed it.
Hi thanks for your reply what is a hard reset and how do I do it thanks

Old 03-23-2017, 05:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,333 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Trevor a hard reset is when you put the car back to factory settings in the modules and each door has a module. To carry it out remove the neg- cable from the battery and leave the car go for a coffee. Then connect back up. You'll need your radio code, and seating memory settings re-programming. The drivers door should also come back online, if not it'll be something mechanical in the lock mechanism, like the plastic rod being unclipped.

Old 03-23-2017, 06:23 AM

Thanks I'll give it a go 😀