XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Question about programming keyless

Old 04-05-2010, 09:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about programming keyless

So, I scoured this place for info on reprogramming the key fobs, but like every other noob, it doesn't work. Here is the procedure I followed for my 2001 XJ8 Executive.

Hold the headlamp flasher switch in the on position as you turn the ignition switch to position I

Flash headlamps 4 times to enter alarm programming mode confirmed by the LED on the gear shift flashing.

Program each key-ring transmitter (maximum of five units) by pressing the lock or unlock button on the each key-ring transmitter once. The alarm will chirp a confirmation when you press the key-ring transmitter button.

The alarm must complete a full cycle, (program five times) in order to complete programming
If you are programming only one key-ring transmitter, this needs to be programmed five times
If you are programming two key-ring transmitters operate the first key-ring transmitter once and the second 4 times
For three key-ring transmitters the third should be operated 3 times
For five each should be operated once only
There are a couple of problems with this.

#1, my car is special and doesn't operate like this. I had the trunk open, the door open, followed this procedure and I get nothing.
No beeps, no LEDs flashing, nada. I'd be up for trying some more, but it's after 11pm and my neighbor is certainly considering murdering me by now.

#2, it doesn't say what to do when you are programming 1 key fob for each of 2 physical keys. Do I follow this procedure twice, once for each key, pressing the button on the key fob for one key 5 times then repeating for the other key/fob combination? Or do I follow the whole procedure 5 times, programming the #1 key twice and the #2 thrice? It seems basic, but instructions must be clear since the people following them are obviously dummies like me.

If I can get past #1, I'm sure #2 would make itself clear, but since the car refuses to learn (BAD KITTY!!), I'm stuck at the start. I suppose the LED could be out on the shifter, but that'll have to wait til the weekend and I really would rather not have to open it to check. Any ideas?

Old 04-05-2010, 04:17 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just recently programmed 1 remote and here's how I did it:

1- With driver's door open (not the trunk) I put the key in position # 2
2- Flashed high beam 4 times, then I heard a chirp.
3- I pressed on the unlock button of the remote 5 times
4- got out of the car and tested remote and it was working.

I would assume to program 2 remotes I would press remote #1 3 times and the 2nd remote 2 times. If that doesn't work then I would reverse the order of times I press each remote.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by newuser
I just recently programmed 1 remote and here's how I did it:

1- With driver's door open (not the trunk) I put the key in position # 2
2- Flashed high beam 4 times, then I heard a chirp.
3- I pressed on the unlock button of the remote 5 times
4- got out of the car and tested remote and it was working.

I would assume to program 2 remotes I would press remote #1 3 times and the 2nd remote 2 times. If that doesn't work then I would reverse the order of times I press each remote.
Thanks, I try your method tonight if I have a chance and update with results.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:34 AM

The method for the XK8/XKR included this little piece of information which proved important:
1. Insert ignition key into the ignition switch barrel, but do not turn it.

I was holding the flasher and THEN inserting the key. If there is a way to do something wrong trust me I'll find it.

Anyway, I was able to get the LED to flash, but there was no chirp. Could this be indicative of some other issue?

Last edited by Amejin90; 04-06-2010 at 09:59 AM.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Amejin90
The method for the XK8/XKR included this little piece of information which proved important:
1. Insert ignition key into the ignition switch barrel, but do not turn it.

I was holding the flasher and THEN inserting the key. If there is a way to do something wrong trust me I'll find it.

Anyway, I was able to get the LED to flash, but there was no chirp. Could this be indicative of some other issue?
Is your car an XK8 or XJ? Because if it's an XJ then you shouldn't have to try the xk8 method you mentioned above . I had to do some trial and error when programing mine till I got it to work. I tried holding the flasher back when I put the key in position 2 and then I tried not holding the flasher. Then I tried just putting the key in but not turning it. I'm pretty sure the one that worked was turning the key but I could be wrong. But I did hear a chirp after flashing 4 times and thats when I pressed the remote button 5 times and it worked. Also try programing 1 remote first instead of both remotes at the same time. If one dosen't work then start the procedure from the biggining with the other remote. Maybe one remote has a bad battery.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:26 AM

The car is an XJ8, 2001 just like yours!
Well I can get the LED on the shifter to light up, and it seems to flash once for each time I press the button on the remote, but it doesn't chirp or beep or warble for some reason. The remote still works after that.
What I want to do eventually is to have 2 working remotes since I only got one with the car and it is shared with my wife. It's TOTALLY lame to have to open the door with the key.

Old 04-08-2010, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Amejin90
The car is an XJ8, 2001 just like yours!
Well I can get the LED on the shifter to light up, and it seems to flash once for each time I press the button on the remote, but it doesn't chirp or beep or warble for some reason. The remote still works after that.
What I want to do eventually is to have 2 working remotes since I only got one with the car and it is shared with my wife. It's TOTALLY lame to have to open the door with the key.
So I'm guessing you had success with one remote? If that's the case,again, make sure the battery on the other one is good.

Old 04-10-2010, 12:58 PM

I don't know it was successful since thats the remote that was working to start with. The battery in the other one is fine. I swapped it into the working remote and it functioned as normal.
I'm going to double check the part number to make sure I've got the right one.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:06 AM

Okay, I was finally able to find 5 minutes to sit down and do this. Now I have 2 operational remotes.

I never did get any beeps, clicks or mewls out of the car, I just had to go by the led flashing on the shifter. I guess it's just not a loquacious kitty.