XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Cigarette lighter fuse 1999 XJ8 L

Old 04-05-2009, 10:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cigarette lighter fuse 1999 XJ8 L

Can anyone help me locate the fuse for the cigarette lighter on a 99 XJ8 L? I looked and can only find a cigar lighter in the book and the fuse is in not in the location in the left side rear heel kick. There is a space for the fuse but one is not there and taking another 20amp and trying to put in in the space does not work. The slot seems to big the fuse fits very loose and just falls out. This can't be the right spot because it was working a few months back.

1999 XJ8 L
2005 XJ8 L

Bill in Maryland

Old 04-06-2009, 02:11 AM
Received 120 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by bniland
Can anyone help me locate the fuse for the cigarette lighter on a 99 XJ8 L? I looked and can only find a cigar lighter in the book and the fuse is in not in the location in the left side rear heel kick. There is a space for the fuse but one is not there and taking another 20amp and trying to put in in the space does not work. The slot seems to big the fuse fits very loose and just falls out. This can't be the right spot because it was working a few months back.

1999 XJ8 L
2005 XJ8 L

Bill in Maryland
In my manual, it shows it in the trunk in space #5. It also mentions it being a 25 Amp fuse. See the attached images.

Now this may not be correct for yours, and if not, let me know. I should be able to find an answer for you.

PS: The position you mention that feels loose is in fact not a used position. There are quite a few spots that don't have any fuses in them.

Attached Thumbnails Cigarette lighter fuse 1999 XJ8 L-fuse-locations.jpg   Cigarette lighter fuse 1999 XJ8 L-cigar-fuses.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
icecreamchugk (07-06-2012)
Old 04-14-2009, 12:01 AM

man, i had the same problem in mine...i have a 98 XJ8-L...i found it to be below the rear passenger seat. theres a little kick panel you pull off and the fuse is in that box(supposing the 99 are the same as the 98). hope you find it

Old 06-28-2009, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by pschlae
@supersport. Thanks a lot... It was exactly at the position and blown.
Could you give the number on the back of the manual where you made the scans out of. Because my manual is completetly wrong...
Thanks
Actually, it's out of Jaguar's Downloadable PDF Manual straight from their Website.

http://www.jaguarusa.com/us/en/owner...manuals/xj.htm

The 2000 Manuals are what I use, and I have yet to find a difference from my 1999 XJR. I'd highly recommend downloading these while they are still available and keep a copy on your computer.

To read them, you'll need Adobe Acrobat Reader.

http://www.adobe.com/go/EN_US-H-GET-READER

Glad it helped!

Last edited by SuperSport; 06-28-2009 at 11:34 PM. Reason: Wrong Manual. Changed to XJ
Old 08-11-2009, 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by reyscorpio
I went to download the 99 Manual but it is the same one I own and it does not reflect the information you posted. Is it possible for you to post the manual to this site?
Not a problem. Unfortunately, the files are too big for attachments on this site, so I'll post them on MediaFire. See Link Below. Fuse locations are found in the file "Jaguar_XJ_2000_Vehicle_Care_Handbook" Sections 4-12 thru 4-24. The other two files are ones I like to have on hand.

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=3...e4b9ac475cdcd3

Let me know if there is any problem with any of these.

EDIT: Yes, I noticed that Jaguar changed their site, and these files are a LOT harder to find now. I just keep them on my computer.

Last edited by SuperSport; 08-11-2009 at 02:35 AM.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Driver's Manual Wrong?

I have a 99 XJ8 and the manual supplied with my car says that the cigar lighter is in the right hand heelboard, position 14. There is nothing there. I searched this site and found this post. After reading it, I checked out fuse #5 in the luggage compartment. Sure enough, it was blown. I replaced it and all works. My manual says the fuse I just replaced is the left and right seat timers. I downloaded the 2000 manual that was referenced. I find it odd that the manual that came with my car has the wrong fuse diagram. Thank you so much for posting this information, I never would have found it on my own.

The following users liked this post:
Blue_XJ8 (02-17-2014)
Old 06-20-2010, 11:17 PM
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

FYI here's where you can download the comprehensive electrical diagrams for your Jag - virtually any year/model:

http://www.captainjaguarscathouse.co..._Reference.htm

Last edited by QuadManiac; 06-20-2010 at 11:19 PM.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:58 AM
Default XJ8 L fuse

The fuse in the XJ8L is located right rear passanger heal board fuse panel. You have to unscrew the carpet cover to access it.

Old 07-02-2010, 09:32 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey SuperSport,

Thanks for the link to the manual!

Joollz

Old 07-03-2010, 05:14 PM
Smile Thanks!

Thank you so much for the link to the manual. I now have it saved to my computer.

Yes, there is a fuse box under the heelboard -- I found that, and slot 14 was not in use. I had to use the manual for the 2000 XJ8 for the correct diagrams. Why the manual for my 99 XJ8 is wrong, I don't know. All I know is that without this thread, I never would have figured it out on my own!

Old 08-02-2011, 01:48 PM
Default Cigarette lighter

I have checked all my 25 amp fuses and I still cant get the lighter socket to work. I have a funny feeling the complete cylinder may be bad, Cause there is some rust inside of it.
Does anyone know if there is an easy way to access the cylinder to take it out?

I have tried to twist it from the inside but Im worried it might snap.

Old 08-02-2011, 06:53 PM
Received 447 Likes on 333 Posts

Neither the front nor rear lighter sockets worked on my new Jag. I really didn't care until I went to plug in my radar detector tonight. I found a blown 25 amp fuse in position 5 in the fuse box in the trunk, next to the battery. Replaced it and both lighters work now, thanks!

(BTW, it was kind of creepy that I read this post right before my Wife and I went out for an evening drive in the XJR. I did not know that the lighter sockets did not work. She was amazed when I opened the trunk, found the only 25 amp fuse in the box, replaced it and the radar detector works now! You guys make me look good! )

Old 09-28-2011, 06:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,618 Likes on 874 Posts

Hi
Make sure you remove the battery ground cable (negetive post). You need to remove the center console, then pull out the cigarette lighter from it's cigarette lighter housing (if it is not already removed).

Now you can remove the cigarette lighter housing (the cylinder is you are referring is the housing).

To remove cigar lighter housing:
Remove tape securing harness to console underside.
Slacken and remove retaining ring from underside (of cigar lighter housing) and remove housing complete with cable.

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 09-28-2011 at 07:07 AM.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:00 PM

The word "hero" is so often overstated. But not here. The people who pointed me towards fuse #5 are just that. Heroes. One radar detector, one cell phone charger, one bluetooth charter, one sat nav charger back in business !!!!

Praise be!! Praise be indeed!!!

Old 09-22-2013, 11:35 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys, you all are wrong in the location of the cigar lighter fuse in a '99 XK8. It is in the passenger side (USA) fuse box inside the dash. #14 20 amp slot. Open the door and there is a fuse cover. Remove it and that is the location.

Cheers,
Craig

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cigarette lighter fuse 1999 XJ8 L