XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

driver side window will not go down

Old 07-28-2013, 08:44 PM
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Question driver side window will not go down

its a 2000 xj8-long....all other windows work find....when I press down/bottom portion of button....you hear click....but motor I don't think is getting signal...so either the switch...or motor for window.....possibility water may have gotten in door window...someone suggested...re-setting something but I don't know what or how....any suggestions or insights welcome

Old 07-28-2013, 09:07 PM
Received 7,861 Likes on 4,752 Posts

You can test the motor by UNLOCKING the door with the key and holding it in the UNLOCK position. (It's called GLOBAL OPENING)

If the window goes down then it is NOT the motor.

You can also close the windows by holding the key in the door lock in the LOCK position. (It's called GLOBAL CLOSING)

bob gauff

The following 3 users liked this post by motorcarman:
jagjunky (07-28-2013), nay64nay (12-31-2019), XJ-Executive (11-13-2016)
Old 07-28-2013, 09:20 PM

thanks....saw this in owners manual...will try....your rx.......for assessing motor working the second part ......has to do with windows going up.....my problem is drivers side window won't go down.....does dis- connecting and reconnecting the battery make any sense?

Old 07-28-2013, 09:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,336 Likes on 722 Posts

Please let us know if the global open/close did anything got the window to budge. If it didn't but the others did, then maybe the motor is not receiving electrical signal or it's dead. I had this happen to me, it turned out that the motor had somehow gotten disconnected from the cable that fed power to it. Reconnecting it did the job. I had to sorta kinda perform surgery on the door to get to it tho.

Keep us posted, this could be something else entirely or not.

The following users liked this post:
jagjunky (07-28-2013)
Old 07-28-2013, 10:48 PM

thanks gianda.....here is what I need to add to this post to help clarify:
I tried the global opening and closing.....(of course I am more concerned with the opening at this point)......neither worked...when key in respective positions....windows ...all won't open .....or close (of course the drivers side window is still up all the way)

I also have another 2000 xj8.....when I tried the global opening and closing on it....both worked (up and down)...when key is in in its correct position

I should also mention that I get a week signal from the fob/remote.....need to click it 2 or three times before I can get the locks to open or close.....need to change the batteries in remote...but again I think this should have nothing to do with global opening/closing using the key.

finally, I recently had to change the battery....put new replacement in....

window not going down and failure to get global opening and closing to work....contemporaneous with my changing the battery.....so now I seem to have two problems possibly related but I think not:
1).....driver window won't go down 2).(but other doors go up and down except drivers side when you hit respective up down buttons)....global opening and closing of windows (all four)....does not work.....the only other thing I did since I just noticed the window problem, was re-set the seat/steering column positions and put into memory....I do not believe this has anything to do with window operation however,

hope this helps to clarify......

Old 07-29-2013, 05:37 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

JagJunky, thanks for posting this!
Quick story:
I have a 99 XJ8 VDP. When I bought it a few months ago, the driver's side window wouldn't roll down (but clicked), and the sunroof would open, but then close after some amount of seconds, but usually less than 20. Since the inside latch cable was also broken in the driver door, I opened it up in order to fix that. In doing so, I disconnected all of the wiring connectors from the Control Module (at this point, I did not yet know much about the control modules throughout the car, nor did I know about the system reset that happens when you disconnect the battery for a few minutes). After fixing the cable, I put everything back together, and suddenly the driver's window problem and the sunroof problem had gone away. This lasted a couple of months, until yesterday.

Yesterday, I changed the pads on the front brakes. In fact, while changing the pads, I had the driver window down. Then, after I was done, I asked my wife if she would close up all the windows and lock the car. I said "in fact, you can just do it with the key in the door. Just turn it toward the front (lock) and hold it until everything closes." She did that, and it worked. Then when we went out later yesterday evening, I noticed that the driver window wouldn't roll down. So I then of course checked the sunroof. It had its problem again too.

I have some theories, which I plan to test out after work today, but first a curiosity: How is your sunroof working right now?

Theories/Thoughts
- I don't believe there is anything wrong with the window motor.
- One theory is that either the Body Processor Module or the Driver Door Control Module is stuck in a particular state (global closing), and a reset might fix it (disconnecting the negative battery terminal for about 10 minutes).
- I've also considered just pulling the fuse for those two modules for 10 minutes, thinking that would accomplish the same thing, but it may take it out of sync with the security and locking module.
- Another theory - which I tend to think is most viable, is that the barrel lock switch is stuck in a particular position, or the contacts are dirty. While it's true that I can lock and unlock the door with the key, meaning that it might be fine mechanically, my alarm sounds immediately if I unlock with the key - meaning the barrel switch might have already been acting up.

Anyway, I'm hoping that we can solve this issue together so that we can put this to rest! Please keep me posted, and let me know about your sunroof. Thanks!

Old 07-29-2013, 05:41 PM

p.s. My global unlock/lock does work, both with the console button, the remote, and the key. When I first bought the Jag, my fob didn't work very well either - I opened it up and cleaned all of the contacts and replaced the battery, and now it works fine. In my case, it was completely unrelated to the window/sunroof problem.

CORRECTION: (sorta) Global closing is not currently working for me with the key (holding key in lock position for 2 - 3 seconds). It worked fine until yesterday.

Curious - on your Jag that works, when you open all the windows and the sunroof, and then hold down the central lock button in order to close everything, is there a slight delay between the time it takes to start rolling up the other 3 windows and when it starts closing the driver window and sunroof? (half a second or so)

Last edited by BillDJohnson; 07-29-2013 at 06:00 PM.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:02 AM
Cool drivers window won't go down

Bill,
guess what?...I stand corrected.....the sun roof will open to desired

position...than in about 5-7 seconds it automatically closes.....this makes sense now as I tested the global opening and closing on my other car/jag and by using the key everything worked as it should..what I can say at this juncture is that my global opening and closing(of windows) with the key does not work on my jag L. I can raise and lower all three other windows ,however, from the main control on drivers arm rest as well as each individual switch....passenger front and rear driver side and passenger side...

your theories/thoughts on the problem are spot on.....I need to clean up my remote and change the batteries right now working ok...although I have to hit the unlock twice to get the rear doors to unlock/open

So where are we in all this? our problem is similar if not exactly the same...the module/relay you are talking about in the drivers door may very well (if stuck) prevent both global opening and closing...and also screwing up the sun roof (like its stuck in global closing mode). The barrel lock also a possibility....the motor itself may be fine. Looking at your suggestions:

going to try the re-set first...by disconnecting the negative cable from the battery...another member suggested trying this first as he had a similar problem to ours it worked....but I don't think this will do it.....(be careful to not hit/press any of the buttons on the remote until you have reconnected the battery)

fuses also a possibility.....but need to locate and has the negative side effects you mentioned......I really don't want to have to take off the driver side door panel and start playing with the modules/relays if it can be avoided but I am afraid that's where we are headed....

re your question on the control lock button(assume you mean the button above the radio with the embedded key)...I have not messed with it....I can try on my other jag to see if there is that delay you mentioned....

so what I can say at this point is that I have a drivers window that won't come down (like stuck in global closing mode), I can open and close the doors with/using the remote, my global closing /opening re windows does not function at all....the key itself will open(unlock) and close(lock) the doors.......and a sun roof that wants to and does close automatically....whether you want it to or not...!

my car is up for inspection and I live in new jersey...while they now only check for emissions I think they will give me a hard time if they notice that I can't lower/raise the drivers side window....so I got to get this fixed by the end of august.....
lets stay in touch and compare notes tomorrow.....going to try the reset tomorrow and let you know results.....jagjunky/bob

Old 07-30-2013, 02:06 AM
Thumbs up

Bob,

Would you believe that I'm also up for emissions tests by the end of August as well? It's true. :-)

I'm pretty confident that a reset will fix the problem. Mine is working again. I disconnected the negative on the battery, and then I opened up the door to test the barrel switch and lubricate stuff. The barrel switch seems to be fine, and not stuck in either position. Everything else - mechanisms and wiring seemed to be fine. Then I put it all back together, hooked the battery back up, and it was all working again.

It would be nice to figure out what puts it in the stuck global close state. I have a hunch it has something to do with using the key to operate global closing, and possibly not turning the key back far enough to turn off the barrel switch. Though my testing of the barrel switch seemed to indicate it was fine, the actual key position/rotation was questionable. Hard to say.

In retrospect, I probably should have done the module reset before taking apart the door, and checked if that alone fixed it, but I was eager to test the barrel switch.

For me, global opening doesn't work at all. I don't think it ever has, and in fact my alarm sounds immediately when I unlock with the key, and the central locking button doesn't do global opening.

Let me know if a reset fixes the problem for you. Maybe one of us can figure out what causes the problem in the first place.

The following 2 users liked this post by BillDJohnson:
Lear45 (01-18-2014), Panther With Jag (12-30-2014)
Old 07-30-2013, 07:03 PM
Smile window works

bill the reset worked...I have no idea.....what caused the problem in the first place....key works better now that I cleaned and put new batteries....not even gonna mess with global o and c.....the sunroof works like it should as well......really happy about how this turned out....just hope it holds....and thanks for your help....bad news is I lost my cell phone ...a smart phone not cheap to replace....if it does not surface by tomorrow....I will have to replace......at least I can now go to inspection.....you win some and you loose some

The following 2 users liked this post by jagjunky:
Lear45 (01-18-2014), Panther With Jag (12-30-2014)
Old 07-31-2013, 01:02 AM
Cool post script

after my last reply.....I got a call that my smart phone was found....what a relief....I had taken my mom who just turned 90 to rehab earlier in the day....we took my brothers car.....and it must have fallen out of my pants pocket....when I got into the rear passenger side of the car....as the lady who found it saw it in the gutter and picked it up....she had just finished her re-hab appointment at the same place my mom goes.....

something to be said re" the kindness of strangers"...I was lucky to get it back....went crazy trying to locate it.....you can replace a lost/stolen phone....really concerned about my numbers/phone directory

as re your theory about the barrel switch and global opening/closing.....I think you got it right...it seems the problem is caused by not turning/holding the key in the door...the right way......and that's what got me in trouble.....

come to think of it.....do you really need global o and c?....maybe I do as I only have one key (black).....originally the car came with 2 blacks and one green (valet)key....I guess if my key was somehow locked in the car and the remote did not work....I would really be screwed....

I need not tell you the cost of getting another key...no key extremely expensive....one key (a dup plus program)...still very costly....although I have written down the key tag number....good luck

Old 07-31-2013, 01:28 AM

Glad you got it working. I also, through some not-completely-determinate set of events, got the unlock and global opening working. See this post if you're interested: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...wo-keys-99769/

It turns out that the global unlock button is not meant to also do global opening, just global closing. The fob is supposed to do both, but I haven't successfully done that yet.

Old 01-18-2014, 03:09 PM
Received 122 Likes on 101 Posts

My drivers window quit working. It would only click. I disconnected the negative cable from the battery and touch it to the positive post and then reconnected the cable.
The window works! Many Thanks to all!!!!!

Old 03-24-2014, 09:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default xj8 Jaguar windows will not go down

All 4 windows on my 2006 Jaguar XJ8 will not go down. Is there a reset button of some kind? Does it have anything to do with the valet program? How can I reset the system?

Old 01-21-2015, 11:26 AM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Pull fuse #15 from left drivers side heel board fuse box and reinsert. I think this resets the drivers door control module.

The following users liked this post:
King Charles (09-19-2015)
Old 02-17-2015, 10:48 AM
Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Just reset module

Originally Posted by jonpalley
Pull fuse #15 from left drivers side heel board fuse box and reinsert. I think this resets the drivers door control module.

Well...with the frigid weather over the last few days, no doubt the battery in my 2000 XJ8 went a little low (really? mounting in the trunk, on a metal plate that is exposed to the bottom of the car? Yeah...that'll keep it nice and warmer than the outside, right?). So...driver window would not go down.

Since this window gets used more often than the others, I thought, after the nasty little snow we had last night (blowing fluffy stuff), that perhaps the window had gotten frozen in its frame. So, used a heat gun on LOW around the periphery to attempt to unfreeze, if it was. No dice; I could hear the control relays clicking when I pressed the button, but nada.

Checked the fuse in the rear footboard and it seemed to be ok. Hmmm...

So, dug around, and decided (as painful as it is...) to 'reboot' the car by detaching the negative cable on the battery, touching it to the positive terminal for a minute or so...then reconnecting.

Reattached, started the car, kept the revs up (it stalled the first time (display said "Engine Stalled"...CEL on...No kidding, kitty.) lightly pressing on the loud pedal...till it stabilized...and voila! All windows works again, reset the limits and drove around to let the machine start to relearn the cycles.

When it gets warmer...will take the door card off, clean up the contacts, make sure all the mounting bolts/grounds are clean and tidy...but, for now, seems to be ok.

Don't know how old the battery is (it seems like it is relatively new based on condition of the case); that may be a replacement item in the near future if any other gremlins show up.

So...all is good in the (not as bad as New England) snowy eastern PA region.

Old 09-19-2015, 06:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,019 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by jonpalley
This just worked for me, grazi sir !

Old 04-25-2016, 03:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,019 Likes on 740 Posts

New #15 fuse, now no issues.

Last edited by King Charles; 04-25-2016 at 10:26 PM.
Old 03-05-2018, 03:32 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Interesting posts. I too have tried to reset the car using the neg cable to pos. This fixes things for a couple hours, then the drivers window just clicks. Same with removing the fuse behind the drivers seat. Same thing, temporary fix. I even switched out the door module, same results. I haven't tried this fuse 15 at the drivers heel fusebox yet.

Old 03-07-2018, 11:25 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Just an update to my last post. I switched the two 25 amp fuses behind the drivers seat. Each goes to the door controllers (left and right fronts). So far it's been holding up and working. Was able to roll both front windows without issues this morning. Knock on wood and hopefully this keeps working.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: driver side window will not go down