XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

a few codes

Old 08-05-2010, 09:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a few codes

My CEL has been on for a while on my 2000 xj8. The car has just over 70k miles. I was getting a large evap leak code and couldn't find it. None of the hoses looked cracked and there was no rpm difference when spraying ether. There was no perforamance or running problems so I just let it go. Then my car has started shaking lately. It seems to only do it when starting up, and it doesn't happen every time. When this happens the performance restricted message pops up. When the car is running it idles hard, and won't accelerate very well. After about 3 or 4 minutes of driving it goes away. I scanned the codes and here is what i received:

Stored Codes
P0353 Ignition Coil C Primary / Secondary Circuit
P0455 Evaporative Emission System Leak Detected (large leak)

Pending Codes
P0303 Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected
P0306 Cylinder 6 Misfire Detected
P1316 Misfire Excessive Emissions Fault
P1000

I'm assuming its the misfire that has caused this. I reset the codes yesterday and the only one that is coming up now is the P0353. The misfire codes are gone. so is the evap leak. Any ideas? I would think it would only register the P0353 code if it found a misfire? Anyway, this car has been way to big of a PIA and I'm trying to sell it (too bad I still have 7,600 to pay on it). I figure no one will buy it with the engine lights on. Should I continue driving it until it registers a misfire again and change the coil to a different cylinder, erase the codes, and see if it registers the misfire on the new cylinder again? Also the car freaks out when I plug in my odb2 scanner. Every warning light goes on. Turning it off and on again seems to fix it.

Other problems I've had with this car in the 3 years I've owned it:

ABS module needed to be replaced, dealer quoted me 4k. Got it rebuilt for $150.
Mass airflow sensor needed to be replaced
Factory chrome wheels rusted where the tire beads. Car was under warrenty. was told rims are wear and tear.
rear brakes were worn when I bought it from the dealer
transmission hose tore and caused massive leak
a year after the tranny hose broke the transmission itself took a dump. Was almost 4k to fix
Wheel speed sensor needed to be replaced
3rd brake light fell off rear window
rearview mirror has a large "bubble" in it
needed to replace an exhaust hangar
air bag light is on, still undiagnosed
tilt motor in the drivers seat broke. I replaced the seat from a junkyard and recovered it with the factory fabric
the car would automatically lock right after it was unlocked. turned out to be a $350 electrical problem

I've only driven the car about 3 times in the last month. Too much goes wrong with it and I ended up buying a 95 cadillac. Sucks paying off a car that I can hardly ever drive. Sorry for my rant. Any help in locating those problems would be much appreciated!

Last edited by red_ghost; 08-05-2010 at 09:52 AM.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:28 PM

ttt

Old 08-06-2010, 05:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,333 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Originally Posted by red_ghost

Stored Codes
P0353 Ignition Coil C Primary / Secondary Circuit

Should I continue driving it until it registers a misfire again and change the coil to a different cylinder, erase the codes, and see if it registers the misfire on the new cylinder again? Also the car freaks out when I plug in my odb2 scanner. Every warning light goes on. Turning it off and on again seems to fix it.
Lumpy idle at startup is usually a misfire, you've answered your own question by suggesting swopping coilpacks around. Once confirmed, eBay is your friend for a new coil, 3.2/4.0/4.0sc all the same, or a breaker...

OBD reader I recall a 01 XJR doing this to me, it was fun seeing all the warnings scroll, its a system check, not realworld issues, the car hasn't gone into cardiac arrest. Bet that lowers your blood pressure. $50 fix if its the coil.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:23 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd pick up a spare coil-pack and have it handy the next time it starts acting up, then just swap it in and drive it. Seems like you've already taken care of a bunch of bugs/maintenance and are getting close to the point of enjoying a nice car. Good luck with what ever course you take.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:37 PM
Received 7,849 Likes on 4,749 Posts

"rearview mirror has a large "bubble" in it"

Do a google search for "magna donnelly mirror replacement" and see if you can get a cheap fix.

bob gauff

Old 08-11-2010, 12:56 PM

I switched the #3 coil with the #1. I noticed there was some corrosion and metal dust on the #3 coil. I cleaned it off with a wire brush. All the codes disappeared when I restarted the car. I guess I'll have to drive it for a little while and see what happens.

Old 09-07-2010, 01:29 PM

the #3 misfire came back on. I am doubting it is the coil, unless i changed teh wrong one. Cylinder 3 is the second from the front of the engine on passenger side of the car (US models), correct?

Old 09-08-2010, 12:08 PM

ttt

Old 09-17-2010, 01:06 PM

took it to a mechanic. he replaced the fuel injector and it is still doing it randomly. any ideas?

Old 09-21-2010, 12:32 PM

There's no one on here with an idea or that can give me some advise what to check next?

Old 09-21-2010, 02:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

Redghost
"Officially", the cylinder numbering on your car is bank 1, cyl 1 through 4, Bank 2, Cyl 1 through 4 according to JTIS and Alldata. The designation 1 through 8 was appropriate for MY 2002.5 onward. So, I don't know how the OBD gives a single cylinder number. You might try pulling another coli wire (not while running) and see what happens when you start it.

Old 09-21-2010, 02:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 296 Posts

Did you check what was causing the #6 misfire?

What was the reason for replacing the injector?

Do a quick check -- someone just posted a download for the cylinder layout.
You have to make sure that you have properly checked out the two coils. The system codes can be reset and depending on the condition of the coils it can take a while for the system to throw new codes but still cause the engine to run a little rough.

Was this why you replaced the MAF sensor?

Last edited by yeldogt; 09-22-2010 at 04:46 AM.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:24 PM
Veteran Member

The chart is as I described. Pre MY 2002.5, the designation is bank (number) 1(1) through 2(4). I BELIEVE I remember my OBD giving the third back on the passenger side as cylinder 3.

Old 09-21-2010, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by yeldogt
Did you check what was causing the #6 misfire?

What was the reason for replacing the injector?

Do I quick check -- someone just posted a download for the cylinder layout.
You have to make sure that you have properly checked out the two coils. The system codes can be reset and depending on the condition of the coils it can take a while for them to through the codes but still cause the engine to run a little rough.

Was this why you replaced the MAF sensor?
The #6 misfire went away on its own. the misfire is intermittent. The injector was replaced as the mechanic said he didn't hear it opening when the car was misfiring.

The maf was replaced years ago from a seperate problem

Old 09-21-2010, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by sparkenzap
The chart is as I described. Pre MY 2002.5, the designation is bank (number) 1(1) through 2(4). I BELIEVE I remember my OBD giving the third back on the passenger side as cylinder 3.
hmmm. I wonder where it got #6 from before (unless there was a mistake somehow or my code reader read it wrong)? How can you tell if its bank one or two?

Old 09-21-2010, 09:50 PM
Veteran Member

OK redghost, your problem is now clear -

you wrote
"
Cylinder 3 is the second from the front of the engine on passenger side of the car (US models), correct?
"
P303 is a misfire on cylinder A3- no ambiguity. That is the one THIRD back on the passenger side. P306 is misfire on B-2, second back on drivers side (BTW next to cylinder 3 in firing order, so possible misfire detection error). So which injector did your mechanic change?

Why not work on the correct cylinder and see what happens, OK?

Last edited by sparkenzap; 09-21-2010 at 10:23 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:16 AM

so it would be set up as follows:

4 8
3 7
2 6
1 5

I thought it was
7 8
5 6
3 4
1 2

Old 09-22-2010, 09:10 AM
Veteran Member

Yes, apparently-
I have been called every version of dumbass for pointing this anomoly out before, but I will try again. The (copyrighted) chart that has been posted numbers of times clearly shows distinction between pre and post 2002.5 year model. The "wrong" layout you posted is the correct layout according to the Alldata chart for years after 2002.5. The pre 2002.5 layout has cylinders numbered with two banks, the banks labelled either 1 or A and 2 or B and then cylinder numbers 1 through 4. However, most OBD readers give numbers 1 through 8. If you go to the JTIS DTC chart, the cylinder specific error codes give the cylinder - bank designation and then next to it the 1 thru 8 designation with 1-A being the same as 1, 1-B the same as 5 and 4 B being the same as 8. So, this is about as screwed up as a soup sandwich.
And to those who keep posting the chart, LOOK AT THE CHART HEADING- The MY designation is there in the heading for a reason. And I would not even bet that the OBD designations match the chart for MY 2002.5 and later. It would seem unlikely that Jaguar would change the ECU code midstroke on the final year just to co-ordinate the "standard" cylinder numbering scheme.
Good luck, redghost. I would swap the cylinder three coil with one far away in the firing order, like number 1-A and see what code you get

Old 09-22-2010, 12:50 PM

I have a mechanic looking at it. He's had the car the last 2 weeks. he said now its getting o2 sensor codes.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:06 AM

Now I am getting P0171 and P0174, saying its running lean on each bank. It doesn't do this right away when the car is turned on. It seems to do it when the car is stopped at a stoplight after its been running a while. I cleaned the MAF sensor and checked for vacuum leaks with carb cleaner and found nothing. The mechanic said to replace the upstream oxygen sensors, but it seems wierd they would both quit at once.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: a few codes