XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Front-suspension clunk that won't go away :(

Old 02-20-2017, 09:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 77 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Front-suspension clunk that won't go away :(

I've replaced most of the rubber bits in the suspension and steering and yet can't make this front-suspension "shut-up", it clunks away with a noise similar to if the shocks are bad, but they are brand new.

The clunk happens over all medium/large bumps and can also be easily replicated by simply steering side-to-side rapidly while driving (at parking-lot speeds.) Other than the noise, the car seems to handle and steer very well, and tracks perfectly straight.

On a lift, nothing done with a prybar could replicate the clunk noise or show anything is wrong other than the engine mounts. (I'm ordering 2 new engine mounts and also the transmission mount to install at the same time of attempting this repair.)

The following are brand new:
outer tie rod ends
all 4 ball joints
Stabilizer Bar Bushings and links
both shocks and shock mounts

What else is there that could cause this clunking?

Could poorly installed ball joints do that? There is a tiny 1mm gap where they should be flush against the car. That seems unlikely.

Old 02-20-2017, 10:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,768 Likes on 1,302 Posts

Have you replaced the shock tower bushings? Look for little orange pieces on the well around the tower, see this thread, excellent description and repair https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ut-bfh-177028/.
Also, is the noise only from the front? I would suspect the rears bushings to need to be done also.

Old 02-21-2017, 12:04 AM
Received 258 Likes on 210 Posts

Vee Mounts if you haven't checked, also.

Old 02-21-2017, 02:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 967 Likes on 766 Posts

+1 what CharlzO said.

Not likely but also check the condition of the front subframe, rear circular bushings.

I also wouldn't be too concerned about the 1mm gap between your ball joints. When I press them in and can't possibly go any further, there's usually a slight gap even though there shouldn't be.

Old 02-21-2017, 04:10 PM
Received 447 Likes on 333 Posts

See post #13 here about incorrect fasteners causing a "clunk."
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...nt-only-37007/
Vector

Old 02-21-2017, 05:29 PM
Veteran Member

What bolt is referred to in that post?

I'm seeing now that the upper ball joints have a hack up job and are secured using different bolts on each side (no idea why), could that cause it?

Is it possible the shock is contacting the upper wishbone arm?

Old 02-22-2017, 06:59 AM
Received 447 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by vdpnyc
What bolt is referred to in that post?

I'm seeing now that the upper ball joints have a hack up job and are secured using different bolts on each side (no idea why), could that cause it?

Is it possible the shock is contacting the upper wishbone arm?
He is talking about the lower shock bolt, but if you have a "hack job" with different bolts on the ball joints, could be the same on the shock bolts.

Just because the bolt looks like it should fit when you got it at the hardware store doesn't mean it is not a few thousandths too small for the application = clunk.

Vector

Old 02-22-2017, 09:49 AM
Veteran Member

Thank you, very likely culprit!

Any way to test if that's the case, or with such a minute difference it is best to just order new bolts and swap them out? Is the correct size a standard size that can be bought at any car/hardware place or proprietary from jag only?

Old 02-22-2017, 11:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 857 Likes on 705 Posts

I had this issue on the left side even after rebuilding the upper shock mount and replacing the shocks. Replaced the upper shock mount with the complete URO unit from Rock Auto and the noise was gone (after three years!).

The following 2 users liked this post by Jhartz:
Don B (02-22-2017), XJRay (02-26-2017)
Old 02-22-2017, 11:59 AM
Veteran Member

I've already put in new shock mounts with these shocks, same uro units from rock auto

Old 02-22-2017, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts

Originally Posted by Addicted2boost
+1 what CharlzO said.

Not likely but also check the condition of the front subframe, rear circular bushings.

I also wouldn't be too concerned about the 1mm gap between your ball joints. When I press them in and can't possibly go any further, there's usually a slight gap even though there shouldn't be.
Definately the rear subframe bushes.

I just replaced them on a friend's X308 and they were dead. And you got a "clunk" upon braking (feelable in the steering wheel and in the brake pedal) as well as cornering over "bumpy" roads.

My front axle has the same issues. Everything else is "less likely".

The front subframe rear bushes are an axle out job and you will want to take it to Jaguar to do, as it is really awkward. They need two hours just to change the bushes. If you remove the axle (axle removal is according to Jaguar 1.5h) and remove all the wishbones and co, then you'll get it done cheapest. You'll still want an alingment afterwards though!

The following users liked this post:
XJRay (02-26-2017)
Old 02-22-2017, 11:34 PM
Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Mine just started making a clunk noise on the right front every so often when turning at speeds below 10 mph. Even seemed like it was more difficult to move the car. I'm almost wondering if it's a caliper hanging though since I hear what seems like a rubbing or vibration from that side at slow speeds.