XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Headliner Replacement Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 04:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headliner Replacement Question

Hi,
I have some major headliner sagging in the rear of my 2001 Vanden Plas. I have come to terms with that fact that there is not good option for repairing it and I am thinking of a new one. I have had two quotes $500-680 CDN and they use a similar material.

I was looking at the roof of my car and am concerned because the sun visors and rood instrument cluster have the OEM fabric on them as well. The replacement would only be the main headliner and sunroof...so it won't match then?

Has anyone else had an aftermarket or OEM headliner replaced in their car and can provide some advice?

Thanks!
P.S.
I am not very handy...so please no suggestions to do this myself. ;-)

Old 08-21-2010, 05:23 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Yes I had an aftermarket headliner installed in my 95xj6 and it looked great. I had it done at a local custom interior shop and it cost around $325.00. I would say if I went back I could work it out for less. Was it an exact match? No, but it was dam close. Most everyone that was in the car had no idea.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:09 PM
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I did the job my self. Found a perfect aftermarket fabric match for the "oatmeal" interior from yourautotrim.com Color is PH1784 Sand Gray. This fabric is available from a number of suppliers that can be found with a google search. It is difficult to remove and reinstall the headliner board without bending (i.e., folding) it to get it out of the rear passenger door. There are instructions on how to do this on the net -- just do a search. I was quoted $600 us by an upholstery shop, but the color of the fabric they wanted to install didn't match. Good luck.

The following 2 users liked this post by Kansas99XJ8:
someguywithajag (01-28-2019), xj8 detroit (03-10-2016)
Old 08-25-2010, 10:10 PM

On complicating factor -- I believe the VP is a long-wheel base model? If so, removing the headliner will be a bit more difficult given the additional length, though the rear door opening ought to be a bit larger as well.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:14 PM
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Long wheel base actually makes it easier to get the headliner out, the rear doors are significantly longer than the regiular wheel based doors (board still has to be bent)

Old 08-26-2010, 02:24 AM
Default Headliner woes...

Thanks for the link. I looked at the fabric you mentioned, your car must be a different colour than mine? Did you request a sample first, or did you luck out on the match?
I have the oatmeal interior and looking at all of the beiges and browns...i'm not sure which one would be a match.
I found a bit of a deal through my garage, but would need to supply my own fabric if I want anything remotely close.

Let me know...
Cheers.

P.S.
I am told it is easier to change out the long wheel base headliners, but am also told that Jag's are one of the toughest cars work on the headliners.

Hat's off to anyone who does this themselves!

Old 08-26-2010, 10:38 PM

yourautotrim.com will provide you with a sample card with every color available for a small fee. I looked at three different colors for about a week before I decided on the Sand Grey as the perfect match. It is actually surprising that the headliner in an Oatmeal interior car would be Sand Grey. You really have to see the actual material to make a decision. I would be happy to send you the samples I have (I cut the sand grey and two other colors out and recently threw the other two away, but I have the Sand Grey swatch in front of me.) If you want them, send me a private message with your address. I bought about 3-yardsfor under $40 US. The labor (or labour) is what you are really paying for at an upholstery shop, but is probaly worth it. Make sure you have them also cover the sunroof bits at the same time. I'm still trying to figure out how to remove them to cover them as well.

The following users liked this post:
someguywithajag (01-28-2019)
Old 08-26-2010, 11:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 535 Likes on 337 Posts

@Kansas

Thanks for the info. I have some minor sagging and also a stilleto heel puncture mark (previous owner, honest) that requires attention. I just ordered the sample card from the site you recommended. I also ordered the suede card as it looks like one of the suede colour options may be very close to my headliner colour, so I may contemplate that also

Old 06-14-2011, 07:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a similar question in the X-Type forum, I went and called a headliner replacement professional and he is having as much difficulty with the rear window column covers as I did. He is also wondering if we have to remove the back seat and HOW. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:14 PM
Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

Stiletto heel holes in the headliner ??? I'm impressed!

Old 06-15-2011, 01:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,618 Likes on 874 Posts
Default Here are 2 Headliner replacement threads on forum

Hi
I did a search on forum for Headliner replacement and found 1 with how to instructions and photos and another thread with more views of the removal and replacement steps.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/i...ost-faq-30450/

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...adliner-45134/

Our 2001 XJ8 also has a sagging headliner. I found this article on the internet and I made this PDF file for when I get around to fixing our headliner:

xj8 headliner DIY.pdf

Jim Lombardi

The following 3 users liked this post by jimlombardi:
adriaxj8 (12-31-2012), coastaljag98 (09-22-2012), KevinKJT (06-16-2011)
Old 06-16-2011, 06:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jimlombardi
Hi
I did a search on forum for Headliner replacement and found 1 with how to instructions and photos and another thread with more views of the removal and replacement steps.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/i...ost-faq-30450/

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...adliner-45134/

Our 2001 XJ8 also has a sagging headliner. I found this article on the internet and I made this PDF file for when I get around to fixing our headliner:

Attachment 11134

Jim Lombardi
EXCELLENT .pdf document and links. Sadly, they did not address my problem on how to remove the rear window column pieces to replace THEIR cloth. I can't even figure out how to remove the back seat --not a bolt to be found.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:42 AM

My headliner is being replaced today with an aftermarket material as well. from the sample it looks really close! Cost $235.00 installed (does not include the sunroof)

Old 06-16-2011, 01:03 PM
Veteran Member
Default Headliner R&I information

Hello
Edited - with this information - I just reread Post # (It says 2001 XJ8 - Your public ID only shows 2004 X-Type)????

Do you need instructions on 2001 XJ8 or 2004 X-Type?

Here is the information from JTIS21 shop manual for 2001 XJ - Rear Seat R&I Also C Pillar and Passenger Assist Handle:

2001 X J rear seat cushion R&I.pdf

2001 X J rear seat Backrest R&I.pdf

2001 X J C Pillar Trim Panel R&I.pdf

2001 X J Passenger Assist Handle R&I.pdf

Also here is another thread on 2001 XJ Rear Seat Back removal:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/j...-search-21962/

Post #2
It slides up, when everything is free first. Four screws at the bottom. BUT...

You have to remove the plastic seat belt trim covers at the top of the rear seat squab first, and the plastic roller guide beneath. Times three. Use two pocket screw drivers on the trim, one to depress the plastic retaining clip on the top as you gently pry the cover up from underneath it. When both of the two retaining clips are released, carefully remove the cover straight up or you will break off the two locating tabs on the rear side. Then pry up the white plastic roller guide to release that two.

Unbolt the three rear seat shoulder belts at the bottom anchor point. Then lift up really hard on the rear seat squab to disengage it ai the top. Sometimes you have to squirt some Armor All or whatever into the seam, and try to spread it apart with your fingers or other soft tool: heat bakes the rear parcel shelf cover and the rear seat squab, and sometimes they are pretty well stuck together.

Raise the squab above the shoulder belt reels, feed the belts through the cutout in the seat, and it's free of the car.

Please let me know if it is the 2004 X_Type information that you are requesting.
I will delete the 2004 X-Type information below - If it is not needed in this thread - I might start a new thread with it in the X-Type forum section.

I did not realise that you have a 2004 X-Type. The information I gave you was for 1998 - 2003 XJ8/XJR models.

Anyway, I created the following PDF files from JTIS21 CD shop manual for 2004 X-Type Headliner Removal & Installation:

2004 X-Type Headliner R&I.pdf

2004 X type rear seat R&I.pdf

2004 X-Type B-Pillar Upper Trim Panel.pdf

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 06-17-2011 at 05:42 AM.
The following users liked this post:
KevinKJT (04-22-2012)
Old 06-16-2011, 03:14 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I just had my headliner done in my 2001 XJ last month. They were very concerned about bending the board to get it out and back in. They actually removed my back window and went straight out the back with it. I think they saved a ton of time going that route. I dropped tha car off at 9am and picked it up at 2pm. They matched it perfect and you cannot tell it is not the original. Total cost was 285.00.

Old 06-17-2011, 03:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

jim, thanks for these pdf files . I will be adding these into mediafire like others

Old 06-17-2011, 05:21 AM
Veteran Member
Default Here is another article on Headliner Removal

I found this How to replace Jag headliner article on the internet.
It has 2 informative paragraphs on the removal:

"Next is to unbolt the grab handles so you can remove the a/b/c pillars. A thin flat screwdriver to release the bolt covers at the ends of the grab handles, then unbolt the handles from the body (a small torx drive required here)

Next is to undo the upper part of the B pillar, it's held by a nut behind the seatbelt slider. The slider cover just pops off. I think the nut is 16/17mm, so a spanner or socket required here. Once this is free, you can carefully unclip the upper parts of the A and C pillars"

Here is the PDF file I created from this article:

how to replace Jag headliner.pdf

Old 12-09-2012, 10:27 PM

I found a place in Dallas that did a excellent job for $275 on a jag with a sunroof. try www.headliner-magic.com

Old 12-10-2012, 04:21 PM
Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

the youtube video and the yourautotrim combo was great! Did mine in a few hours.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:54 PM
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Vancouverguy
Hi,
I have some major headliner sagging in the rear of my 2001 Vanden Plas. I have come to terms with that fact that there is not good option for repairing it and I am thinking of a new one. I have had two quotes $500-680 CDN and they use a similar material.

I was looking at the roof of my car and am concerned because the sun visors and rood instrument cluster have the OEM fabric on them as well. The replacement would only be the main headliner and sunroof...so it won't match then?

Has anyone else had an aftermarket or OEM headliner replaced in their car and can provide some advice?

Thanks!
P.S.
I am not very handy...so please no suggestions to do this myself. ;-)

Yes I have. Last year my 03 started to sag. Everything else was good. I was lucky to have a very fine upholsterer near by that did a perfect job replacing the headliner with a perfect match. You would never know it was replaced. I truely got lucky.
Dave, Southern Ohio

Quick Reply: Headliner Replacement Question