XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Heated seats - at Jim's request "How To"

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 10:09 AM
Received 280 Likes on 176 Posts
Default Heated seats - at Jim's request "How To"

Too bad I didn't take any pictures ("picture is worth a thousand words"), but it's such a simple procedure, that I hope my words will be enough.

Few facts first: All X308 seats are prewired/equipped with all electrical components needed to heat them. Front and back. The ONLY thing missing on the cars that didn't come with heated seats, are the switches. On the "no heat" cars, the climate control unit on the dash has only four switches in the top row,....the lock, valet, track control, and hazard. On the heated cars, valet, and track switches are half the size, in order to provide the room for the extra two switches for the front seats. The back seats are controled via two switches mounted on the back of the center console.

I decided to leave the back alone, because those seats are never used in our cars, but it would be easy enough to get the panel with the switches on the junkyard/Ebay.

If you are interested in getting the front seats heated, all you need to buy is a climate control unit from Ebay. To unplug the harness for this unit, one needs some instructions, and some wreckers, are just that,....wreckers. They cut the harness, and those units are CHEAP on Ebay. These are the ones you want. Cut harness makes them cheap, and you don't need the harness!

Step 1: Look at the back of the climate control unit you just bought. There are three small phillips screws holding the upper row of switches attached to the climate control bezel. Take them out, and now you can separate the switches from the unit.

Step 2: Using two old credit cards (or similar), carefully pry the bezel around the shifter off. Some (plain plastic) bezels are one unit piece, and the ones covered with "man made leather" have additional plastic piece around the cruise/sport buttons. On the two piece units, this plastic around the buttons needs to be pried off first. It has FOUR pins going into the bottom (each corner), so go slow, and carefull not to brake the pins.

Step 3: Turn the ignition key on, and shift in D. Don't leave the key on, but you have to leave it in the ignition (you can't take it out in D). With the shifter bezel out of the way, you are looking at four 6 or 7mm screws to remove. Two bottom ones are sheet metal screws going into the plastic, and the top ones are machine nuts going on the studs of (what I will call) a "bridge" in the lack of the proper terminology. Remove them.

Step 4: Lift the black "frame" that has the cruise/sport buttons on. Unplug the buttons, and set aside.

Step 5: Starting at the ashtray, carefull pry up the downmost end of the ski slope, and lift it up. Once its fully up (and clears the radio!), carefully pull it down a little, to free the tab that's on the top of the ski slope (be carefull, these are easy to break, there are MANY ski slopes on Ebay without this tab for a reason!). Set the ski slope aside.

Step 6: Using the magnetic phillips screwdriver, remove three phillips screws, holding the radio, and the climate control (you WILL need a magnetic screwdriver, .....these like to fall into the "void" of the center console!). Dont touch the radio/climate control unit just yet!

Step 7: Push the "bridge" forward toward the radio, and remove it. It slides easy, and it's not bolted or fixed in any way to the centre console. That's the "bridge" that has two studs on, where the top two nuts on the ski slope bolt on.

Step 8: Put a drop cloth over the J gate, you need to protect it from the possible scratches the radio might make. There is VERY little room there. Grab the radio and pull it straight back, with a slight uplift to clear the J gate. Go slow, there are two plastic pins that hold the radio to the center console, you don't want to break them! Don't disconnect the radio harnesses, let the radio just hang on the pass side over the center console.

Step 9: Pull the climate control straight out (also slowly, it has two plastic pins on each side of the top screw that hold the unit in the position on the center console). Unplug the top (black) harness (easy), and look for the BLUE (hard!) one. It is under the white one on the left side of the J gate. Since the bridge is out, you will have just enough room to feel the bottom of the blue plug (plugs are fixed to the J gate, and they don't move from their position), push the release (on the bottom!) with one finger, and pull the harness out. Your climate control is now FREE! If you have thick fingers (I don't!), you are bleeding now! Time for a break, and some bandaid.

Step 10: Flip the climate control over, and take the screws from the "Step 1" out, exchange your switches for the ones you took out of the Ebay climate controle, and put the unit together.

If you followed the instructions, and took everything apart by yourself, it will be self explanatory, and easy to put everything back together in reverse. The only warning,......climate control goes in first, but don't put the top screw in (the plastic pins will hold it, and give you enough wiggle room to slide the radio in!). Once the radio and the climate control are both in on their pins, start screwing them down. If you find broken tabs with holes to bolt through on the radio bezel, or on the climate control bezel, it's easy to make a "bracket" from a pice of sturdy sheet metal with a hole in the middle, to grab both pieces, and hold them tight. I had to do this on my wife's car on the left side. The piece of sheet metal is 1/4 x 1" and holds them just right. This will be covered by the ski slope, so it doesn't have to be neat looking.

And you're done!

Here in SoCal, we are spoiled. Living at 3200' elevation we get COLD overnight, and having a "bun warmers" helps in the morning. It was a rather expensive option on the new car, so why not have it for couple of bucks? I don't understand how my VDP didn't come with it (I thought VDPs were top of the line, and had ALL options), but it didn't. Now both cars have heated seats, and wifey is happy!

Once you start digging in it, and have some questions (I don't think so,...this is so simple it's rediculous!) I'll be happy to answer.

Last edited by danielsand; 02-24-2013 at 10:15 AM.
The following 13 users liked this post by danielsand:
adriaxj8 (11-30-2013), bdboyle (01-17-2015), bigcat777 (11-21-2013), Captain K (12-29-2013), daddywoo (06-07-2018), Delbert (02-25-2013), Jhartz (11-21-2013), JimC64 (11-21-2013), JimmyL (01-03-2014), OldMike (02-24-2013), Probesport (02-26-2013), Red Baron (06-15-2015), Webb (01-15-2014) and 8 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-24-2013, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

This is great, thanks so much for posting.

It needs to be made FAQ nad added to the "HOW TO's"

Old 02-24-2013, 02:02 PM
Received 6,253 Likes on 5,453 Posts

Originally Posted by JimC64
It needs to be made FAQ nad added to the "HOW TO's"
Job Done!

Old 02-25-2013, 08:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,618 Likes on 874 Posts

Hi danielsand
Thank you for posting this thread.
I wish I know about it 3 months ago when we had to replace our malfunctioning climate control with a used one that had the heated front seat switches. Our existing control did not have the heated seat switches.

Unfortunately I switched the unit top piece of the climate control.

Now I will be replacing it with the one with the heated front seat switches.

Here are 3 photos of the Climate Control showing the top piece with the heated seat switches and the lower piece (our old faulty climate control).Click on the weblinks to view the photos:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/os1se7eqfe...ol%20Front.JPG

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ie1mrh0p4w...20Rear%201.JPG

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l8kgw0b4ch...20Rear%202.JPG

Look at the 2nd Photo that shows the 3 screws - they all seem to be philips head screws, but I had trouble with the center one and the square drive bit was a better fit.

danielsand, you have 2 XJ model cars - 98 VDP and 03 XJ8. Sounds like you did the front seat heat modification to the 98 VDP??
Does our 2001 XJ8 also have all the heating components in the front and rear seats like the VDP model???

Is there anything that has to be done to the front seats or is it just plug & play?

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 02-25-2013 at 10:42 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,341 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Jim, the screws will either be 'pozi' or 'torx' not phillips, they tear pozi heads up.

I think the VdP's have the heater elements or squabs, you'll need to confirm if your seats actually have these inserted under the leather fascia's - they should have link leads poking around. If not you'll need to install them.

Included a rear system including link leads, heater elements, relays and switches picture.

To install this system requires hog ring pliers and hog rings to replace the ones removed so the heater pads can be installed. The relays bracket bolts to the right hand healboard, they're timer relays, not standard brown items.

Attached Thumbnails Heated seats - at Jim's request "How To"-dsci0787.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
someguywithajag (04-14-2020)
Old 02-26-2013, 09:29 AM
Received 280 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by jimlombardi
Hi danielsand
Thank you for posting this thread.
I wish I know about it 3 months ago when we had to replace our malfunctioning climate control with a used one that had the heated front seat switches. Our existing control did not have the heated seat switches.

Unfortunately I switched the unit top piece of the climate control.

Now I will be replacing it with the one with the heated front seat switches.

Here are 3 photos of the Climate Control showing the top piece with the heated seat switches and the lower piece (our old faulty climate control).Click on the weblinks to view the photos:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/os1se7eqfe...ol%20Front.JPG

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ie1mrh0p4w...20Rear%201.JPG

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l8kgw0b4ch...20Rear%202.JPG

Look at the 2nd Photo that shows the 3 screws - they all seem to be philips head screws, but I had trouble with the center one and the square drive bit was a better fit.

danielsand, you have 2 XJ model cars - 98 VDP and 03 XJ8. Sounds like you did the front seat heat modification to the 98 VDP??
Does our 2001 XJ8 also have all the heating components in the front and rear seats like the VDP model???

Is there anything that has to be done to the front seats or is it just plug & play?

Jim Lombardi
Sean is right! They are NOT Phillips, or Torx, so they must be Pozi. I just used a small phillips, and it worked. It's a 'plug and play'.

I changed the climate controls on both cars (wife's XJ I did last Saturday). It heats WELL. It's a plain XJ8 (2003), and it did not need anything but the switches, to heat the seats.

And now I will give the "full disclosure". My driver's seat had a worn bolster (not through, but looking scuffed), and some deep creases in the seating part, when I bought my VDP. The pass seat was almost mint. The back seat had some scratches from the baby seat, the previous owner had in there.

I was pondering whether to redye, reupholster, or replace. And then the add on Craigslist appeared from a junkyard two hours away, that adverised "parting out" a 2003 VDP with 23K on the clock! I decided to replace EVERYTHING inside the car (to match). I needed the door pockets too, for they were badly torn from people shoving stuff there (up to that point I was pondering about recovering them in contrasting leather).

So I drove over there, and picked up the whole interior. Since the donor had the heated seats, I got the climate control unit too. I installed everything, and the last thing I was working on was the pass seat, which would not fit! I investigated, and the track was tweaked because the car was T-boned in that side! So I had to go back and get another pass seat (fortunately they had another VDP with 40+K). The junkyard owner was apologizing, and said to bring the tweaked seat back, and if the one he has from the other car doesn't match to my satisfaction, he will take the track and motors from that one, and the cushions from the tweaked one, and "make" me a functioning seat. Nice guy.

Since I couldn't go there during the week, I ended up bolting my old pass seat in, just not to drive without one front seat for a week. And that's when the revelation happened! Now my whole interior (and the climate control) was replaced except the pass seat which was original. One night I was taking the wife out for dinner, and I had my seat on the heat. She reached to "her" button, and I told her that she is wasting her time, because her seat is still the old one, and it's not heated. To my astonishment she said "I does heat, and very well too!". Pleasant surprise, right?

So I went back to the junkyard on Saturday, picked up the other seat (perfect match), and sifted through MANY seats out of curiosity. The owner told me that they all have EVERYTHING needed to be heated (and I verified it), gave me four center caps, and fuel door (mine was scratched) in perfect color match (Topaz), for the trouble of having to drive back (nice guy!).

And that's how I learned about this trick about heated seats. After I bought my wife's car, I "discovered" that the climate control unit can be separated from the switches, and how to get the cheap climate control without driving 2 hours to the junkyard.

And I shared all this with you folks!

I don't know how the X308 comes equipped in other parts of the world, but here in the US they ALL HAVE EVERYTHING NEEDED TO HEAT, except switches. PLUG AND PLAY!

Old 02-26-2013, 10:23 AM
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Daniel,

as I am sort of in the middle of this, as well as repairing whatever is wrong, I can take a few pictures and post once I put it all back together.
I will rebuild with the old switch module, without heated seats and then if it all works do this install, so its no extra work for me.
Timeline: about a week, if I get my gear selector illumination soon.

Regards

Lincoln

Old 02-26-2013, 01:50 PM
Received 129 Likes on 61 Posts

Awesome info, just ordered my switches.

I don't recall seeing wiring for the rear seat when I had them out but will have to double-check now!

Thanks guys.

Old 11-21-2013, 10:03 AM
Veteran Member

Hi danielsand
I had the heated seat climate control installed yesterday (replaced the top section of the climate control module).

Both the driver seat and the passenger seat heaters are not working.

Looks like our 2001 XJ8 does not have any front seat cushion heater harnesses.

I took the following photos of the bottom driver and passenger seat cushions:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e7832kma9c...or%20Photo.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t81tszen0k...or%20Photo.jpg

Here is the illustration and instruction on front seat cushion from the JTIS:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5baegy0sj6...0multiplug.jpg

Here is the wiring diagrams and component description from Electrical guide:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/er7ld9iti2...20Diagrams.jpg

I have not tried to open the seat cushion cover.

Also I do not see any relays under the seat cushion area.

Not sure how to proceed now.
Please advise.

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 11-21-2013 at 01:21 PM.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 857 Likes on 705 Posts

Check the fuse box. It may be that simple.

Old 11-21-2013, 12:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,341 Likes on 1,057 Posts

You'll need both the relays and the squabs, then it's a case of pushing them between the back of the leather fascia and foam cushions.
They should then work. You need to ask in the parts forum for the stuff, and someone to carefully remove the bits.
I did mention that some cars come equipped (VdP) but even the R's sometimes don't get the kit, particularly to the rear seats. This is why I mentioned confirming the elements and relays ARE installed before ordering just the switchpack.

Old 11-21-2013, 12:46 PM
Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

Fantastic Post! I am going in for a look this weekend.

Old 11-21-2013, 02:35 PM
Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Great thread.

There was also an issue addressed a few months back about seats not heating up enough for some people's liking.

This is the link: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-solved-44965/

There are two thermo-switches in the very back area of the front seat bottoms. Many, including me, have cut those out and spliced them together. By doing this the seats get hotter. I believe the thermo-switches cut off the elements when the temperature reaches about 85 degrees. That is low when you think about it.

Old 11-21-2013, 02:57 PM
Veteran Member

Robert
Apparently from your last post that your 2002 XJ8 has the front seat cushion heated harness with the male 3 way connector???

I wonder why our 2001 does not have them.

Jim Lombardi

Old 11-21-2013, 06:10 PM

Got so excited, I ordered the switches off ebay. I hope my seats have the proper setup, anyone know an easy way to tell...There's a lot going on under my seats. Thanks all!

Old 11-22-2013, 04:06 AM
Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by jimlombardi
Robert
Apparently from your last post that your 2002 XJ8 has the front seat cushion heated harness with the male 3 way connector???

I wonder why our 2001 does not have them.

Jim Lombardi
Both my 2001 (sold) and current 2002 already had heated seats. I am not sure about the male three way connector you mentioned.

I do know that in reference to removing the thermo-switches, that some cars (I believe earlier ???) have the male connectors on the switch and thus all people do is put a fuse in where the thermo-switch is. A photo in the above mentioned thread show a picture of switch with the male connectors.Other cars have to have the switch cut out and wires spliced together.

My 2001 did not have the male prong type. I am not sure what i on my 2002 as I have not had a chance to change out those ones yet.

Old 11-22-2013, 09:13 AM
Veteran Member

I found Ebay listings for XJ X308 front LH drive driver and passenger seats that has photos showing most of the seats component parts (seat with its leather covers removed).
I created a PDF file that has the 6 photos of the seat from the various viewing positions (all from the Ebay listing):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/krc5gihvsw...s%20photos.pdf

Page 4 of the PDF shows the brown relay location under seat for the seat heater relay.

Here are the weblinks to the 2 Ebay Listings:

Driver front seat -
99 00 01 02 03 Jaguar XJ8 Left Driver Side Front Power Seat Track Motor Frame | eBay

Passenger front seat -
99 00 01 02 03 XJ8 Right Passenger Side Front Power Seat Track Motor Frame Rails | eBay

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 05-05-2014 at 12:50 PM.
bonnequixote (11-29-2023)
Old 11-22-2013, 10:25 AM
Veteran Member

I found the front seat heater relay connector.
Here is a photo showing the relay connector under the front seat:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t1e664hfbc...or%20photo.JPG

Here is the JTIS illustration and instruction on the front seat heater relay:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1e6bich9dg...on%20Photo.jpg

The 2001 Jaguar Vehicle Care handbook has the Right-hand and left-hand seat heaters fuse in fuse location number 18 (25 amps fuse) Rear compartment fuse box - right hand heelboard. It also shows Rear seat heaters fuse in fuse location number 8 (5 amp fuse) also in right hand heelboard fuse box.

These fuses were already in the fuse box in our car, I check them this morning with fuse test - tested OK.

Look like I will have to purchase the seat heater elements and the seat heater relays since our car does not have them.

Jim Lombardi

bonnequixote (11-29-2023)
Old 11-25-2013, 08:19 PM

installed the switchpack, went smoothly. Still no heat. My car must be lacking proper set up.

Old 11-26-2013, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Sean B
Jim, the screws will either be 'pozi' or 'torx' not phillips, they tear pozi heads up.

I think the VdP's have the heater elements or squabs, you'll need to confirm if your seats actually have these inserted under the leather fascia's - they should have link leads poking around. If not you'll need to install them.

Included a rear system including link leads, heater elements, relays and switches picture.

To install this system requires hog ring pliers and hog rings to replace the ones removed so the heater pads can be installed. The relays bracket bolts to the right hand healboard, they're timer relays, not standard brown items.
Sean B- I see in your pics that the squabs/elements are hooked up via the yellow connectors. I can see these yellow connector under my seats, is it possible my seats then are wired for the elements and the elements need to be installed? Or would it make sense that the relays are not there either. I have installed the switches (without confirmation that the seats were ready, as you recommended) already, suppose I now look into the seats for tails. Thanks Sean B...or anyone else!

Quick Reply: Heated seats - at Jim's request "How To"