XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

how to repair Steering Column Reach Motor cable on an XJ8 1998

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 05:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can someone tell me if this is the same procedure for a 2002 XKR s/c? Is the reach motor clipped on as well? Very hard to get to by just lowering the steering whell. Does this model require dropping down the entire steering wheel/shaft? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 09-23-2012, 06:09 PM

I removed the lower and upper steering wheel cover plates but can't for the life of me locate the cable. Is it because my steering wheel is stuck in the most inward position (meaning it will not telescope out)?

Old 10-01-2012, 02:09 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MWWWIN
I removed the lower and upper steering wheel cover plates but can't for the life of me locate the cable. Is it because my steering wheel is stuck in the most inward position (meaning it will not telescope out)?
Bump. I'm in the same situation. And looking for the complete cable replacement/repair procedure. I've done searches, believe me. TIA.

Old 03-19-2013, 06:17 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Hi,
I'm in the same boat here! Have the column surrounds off, lower dash out and can see the reach motor. How does one drop the steering column so as to get better access?

Thanks

The following users liked this post:
Mr Bentwrench (01-03-2020)
Old 04-17-2013, 11:25 AM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Still trying to replace the cable! There was a zip tie holding my reach motor so I cut it out expecting the motor to come out. Turns out there is not enough room above the motor for it to be lifted up and out so I think I'll wait until it warms up some more and go through the estimated one hour ordeal of undoing the upper mount on the steering column to drop it down and hopefully succeed!

Found some instructions on how to drop column, it's in the third post down.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...62/#post247733

Old 10-11-2015, 10:55 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by motorcarman
test point
Contact me via email and I can walk you through the reach motor/position sensor setup. The reason Jaguar did not recommend that we replace the reach motors (column replacement only) was because the sensor is usually the problem with the flex cable failure. The sensor will stop the motor before the limits are reached if it functions correctly and when it fails the motor continues to run and the short cable fails. If you operate the motor manually, you know to stop when the lower or upper limit is reached, but when AUTO is selected, then the relay does not stop if it never gets the 'limit reached' message. The motor runs until the cable fails and then you know you have a problem. I have boxes and boxes of steering columns for XJ and XK for the same fault. We trashed dozens (hundreds???) of columns for 'REACH' faults and I rescued a few from the trash dumpster. You need to run the motor to each limit with an ohm meter to get a 'MIDDLE' reading and then clip the motor to the column on the plastic mount.

bob gauff
The above post is now 5 years old and I do not know if Bob is still active. (I am a newbie)

I am now changing the broken axis of the reach motor and ready for reassembly.
However, I noticed that the screw driving the reach position is at the end (wheel the most close to the dashboard), and tightened...
I am afraid of a problem in the position sensor or a relay : the motor would have tighten the screw before the cable broke as Bob described above...

Can anybody explain or show through drawing where to check the position and or the relays ?

Thanks

Last edited by skrevett; 10-11-2015 at 11:17 AM.
Old 11-29-2015, 03:10 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I am surprised by how little "definitive" how-to information is available on this. Clearly it is a common problem.

The following 2 users liked this post by Presence:
Mr Bentwrench (01-03-2020), youngowner (04-20-2020)
Old 11-29-2015, 03:32 PM
Received 7,872 Likes on 4,759 Posts

Originally Posted by Presence
I am surprised by how little "definitive" how-to information is available on this. Clearly it is a common problem.
The definitive 'how-to' is to replace the column assy!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is Jaguar's recommendation.

If you want to explore repair options then you first have to understand how it operates and adjust it accordingly.

If you don't want to setup the position sensor, then just use the MANUAL setting on the column and forget about the AUTO feature.

When the column gets to where you want it, STOP.
If you want the control module to control that function then it MUST know the column position or the motor will keep driving until something stops and/or breaks.

I have described how it operates and how to set up the position sensor on at least one post in the X100/X300/X308 forums since I joined 6 six years ago. I don't remember when.

Logic dictates that the motor must stop BEFORE the column mechanical limit is reached.

bob gauff

KittyKitty (09-12-2017)
Old 11-29-2015, 04:09 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, but look at the number of people in this thread alone asking questions that go unanswered. Page 2 entirely. Is there a step-by-step how-to with pictures at every step? It seems even simple questions like "what does 'drop the column' mean?" are met with silence. I am curious myself.

Edit: did even more searching around the entirety of jaguarforums, and what other threads there are... all point to this one.

Last edited by Presence; 11-29-2015 at 04:17 PM.
Old 11-29-2015, 06:34 PM

Jaguar recommended column replacement because they came already setup.
If someone wants to document the setup procedure then by all means 'have-at-it'. People complain that JTIS sometimes is not a STEP-BY-STEP manual. That's because it is NOT a DIY manual. The manual was written for Jaguar Mechanics that have been to training classes.

Some people like video documentation and posting on 'you-tube' or something like that.

I'm just not 'hollywood' enough to do more than a few pics and brief description on some repairs. It's pretty much like the tilt motor setup. Plug motor in and run the motor all the way to IN, Turn the column all the way to IN, back up a little, install motor, done.

The column can be setup 'off-the-car' with an ohm meter and a 12 volt battery but it is easier to plug it in and let the module and position sensor 'do their thing'.

A good used column might or might not have a functioning feedback pot.

bob gauff

Old 02-12-2016, 12:19 PM
Default Steering column reach cable 1998 xj8 jaguar

The telescoping part of my steering column is loose that I can pull it in and out. What do I need to fix it? Is it a job that a person is fairly handy with tools can under take?. I've been told the reach cable has broken and that's why it's probably loose.

Old 02-12-2016, 09:05 PM

Sounds like the plastic gear is STRIPPED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
A replacement column is most likely in your future.

A broken reach cable will lock the column in ONE position.
A stripped plastic gear in the column will allow the column to be pulled and pushed without holding a position.

bob gauff

The following 3 users liked this post by motorcarman:
Jhartz (02-13-2016), KittyKitty (09-12-2017), VincentThomas (06-03-2021)
Old 02-13-2016, 10:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 857 Likes on 705 Posts

Thanks, Bob. That is good info. Mine is locked in the down telescope position -- which is good since I wear a 36" shirt. Found the reach cable on Coventry, now need to decide if the repair is worth doing since I (or rarely one of my 6' 4" sons) am the only driver. Wife is afraid of a divorce court if something were to harm it if she were driving.

Replacing that reach cable looks like a PIA!

Old 02-13-2016, 02:49 PM

Remove the mount fasteners and drop the column/steering wheel onto the driver's seat.
Leave the upper column connected to the lower (The 'U' joint will pivot).

That should be enough for reach motor assy access.

bob

The following 2 users liked this post by motorcarman:
Jhartz (02-13-2016), KittyKitty (09-12-2017)
Old 02-13-2016, 06:38 PM
Veteran Member

As soon as it warms up, I might give it a try. Today, it is one of only two issues (cassette deck still bad). Not bad for 15 yo car.

Old 11-30-2016, 09:35 AM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts

All,
I was unsuccessful reinstalling the reach motor - steering column in place - with the replacement motor and wire-wound cable installed. Dropping the column will be the best bet to get the motor and wire-wound cable back in place considering the footwell cowling obstructs the reach motor.
Dropping the steering column was glossed over in this thread. My question is this. Which end of the steering column do you drop. Steering wheel end or footwell end. Regardless, there simply not enough room to reinstall the reach motor with the wire-wound cable inserted. The line diagram of the steering column is not much help without a pointers indicating which bolts to remove. A little help would be appreciated.

Old 11-30-2016, 04:04 PM
Veteran Member

I think Bob's answer to my question suggests the steering wheel end.

Wish I could help more, but I traded it before I got to this final issue.

Terry Young (11-30-2016)
Old 11-30-2016, 05:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 718 Likes on 552 Posts

I did mine on my X300 which I'm sure is the same or similar on the X308, I had to drop the colum on the wheel end, two nuts IIRC and about two minuets to do.

Terry Young (11-30-2016)
Old 01-15-2017, 07:08 AM
Received 209 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Replacement cable

Originally Posted by JTsmks
I did mine on my X300 which I'm sure is the same or similar on the X308, I had to drop the colum on the wheel end, two nuts IIRC and about two minuets to do.
Is there an actual replacement for the replacement cable. What I am looking for is something other than wire. I was able to get to the cable and pull it out and replace it. I did not have it in all the way and went to activate the motor and screwed up another cable. I think for the tilt motor I replaced it with a non wire replacement and seems to work a lot better. Anyone have any suggestions.

Actually if someone had a 3D printer you could make these out of a better material and make a little money

Last edited by cdma; 01-15-2017 at 07:19 AM.
Old 09-12-2017, 10:27 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Repair Steering Telescopic Issue.

Thanks Test Point and Motorcarman... Will these steps apply to 2005 XKR? Finding the middle of max and min with a meter should be easy to locate. To drop the steering down is to max the tilt. The tension clip should be doable. I assume if I can access the motor by tilting the column the motor would exit from the available space by the tilt. The only image is the attached thumbnail above... should I have any additional pics? again thanks for the posted info.

Justed noticed additional info about dropping steering wheel end incase I need to replace the motor but based on what I read it appears the plastic gear is stripped... What is the cost of a column? Thanks...

Last edited by KittyKitty; 09-12-2017 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Telescopic reach motor additional info...

Quick Reply: how to repair Steering Column Reach Motor cable on an XJ8 1998