XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

How to replace sunroof seal?

Old 03-21-2010, 12:29 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How to replace sunroof seal?

I need to replace the seal on my sunroof. Its a 99 XJ8. The dealership wants $180 for the part and over $200 for the labor. How complicated is the job, anybody know how to do it? Thanks.

Old 03-21-2010, 02:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

Swick:
If you really need to change the seal, it is accomplished by crimping the new seal to the edge of the panel. There is a Jag tool to do it, but I made one from a pair of gas pliers modified with a grinder to allow crimping the inside edge of the sealand not pinching the outside edge. The seal needs to be cut to fit. I beleieve I got my seal from motorcars ltd, but I don't remember. Are you sure the seal is bad? The seal is not actually watertight- that is accomplished via channels in the tracks and drain tubes at each corner. the tubes can plog up with road dirt and not drain properly. Or the track channels can crack where the tubes connect allowing a leak. I usually recommend against dealer service, but unless you have done some body work, the price quoted sounds like a deall.

Old 03-21-2010, 02:05 PM

Thanks Sparkenzap. I think you are right, dealer it is. I can change alternators and starters, but sunroof's I've never done. The seal is definately bad, you know how the interior of the sunroof is divided into a small section and a big section? The part that covers the glass. Well the smaller portion is there but is not connected and you can see daylight through the seal. I'm not even sure how to reconnect it that samll piece, I bought the car this way.

Old 03-21-2010, 09:46 PM
Veteran Member

There are numerous posts on sunroof tracks in the archives. However, it IS normal to see some daylight through the seal. You will not see it if the small panel is where it is supposed to be. If you have water coming in, and have blown out the drains, I might go at the seal. I changed mine before I realized the mechanics (or hydraulics!) of the thing.

Old 03-21-2010, 10:38 PM

In the rear center of the sunroof is where I see daylight. Wouldn't the water pour right in there? There is not metal to catch it in that location. Where are the drains located/ what do they look like? It seems like a storm is rolling in right about now, I'm thinking I should tape the outside seams.

Old 03-21-2010, 10:58 PM

Never mind, you are 100% right. Its still not on the track, but I slid the small piece into place and hit the roof of the car with water from the garden hose all around the seams. No leaks. So the seal is good. I did not realize that the inside of the sunroof is actually made of metal; my first sunroof what do I know? Thats why I'm here asking the pros. So really, why would someone replace a seal then? Your input just saved me about $435 so I'm a happy camper. Thanks a bunch!

Old 03-22-2010, 12:21 AM
Veteran Member

the crack you see at the rear is where the seal "meets" (or doesn't quite!

Old 03-22-2010, 03:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Swick
Just had mine apart to do some repairs(can of worms) The small panel in the rear is plastic and with connectors moves with the lift and tilt units on ether side, both of my connectors were broke. That would leave the drain in the rear when the unit is closed and not divert water into the drains as it enters past the seal. In order to do any work on them the headliner may have to be removed. I had my headliner out to recover anyway(easy job)
Good luck
Bill
98/XJ8 VDP

Old 04-15-2010, 09:25 AM

Deerebill, both of my connectors are broken also, but I realized that if I put the sun roof in the foward position (I guess the vent position), slide the small panel under just right, and then close the sunroof on it, it will move back and forth fine. One connector is worse than the other so sometimes that side doesn't keep up all the way (half inch behind), I just slide it into position by hand before getting out of the car. No water gets in ever.

Old 04-16-2010, 02:38 AM
Received 120 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Swick
Deerebill, both of my connectors are broken also, but I realized that if I put the sun roof in the foward position (I guess the vent position), slide the small panel under just right, and then close the sunroof on it, it will move back and forth fine. One connector is worse than the other so sometimes that side doesn't keep up all the way (half inch behind), I just slide it into position by hand before getting out of the car. No water gets in ever.
Both of my connectors are also broken. I would like to fix it but the job seems to be a tough one.

Twice, my smaller panel got stuck way back and it's a bear to get it back out. I used two coat hangers to grab it and pull it foward evenly. If it gets sideways, it really gets stuck hard, so be careful to pull it evenly.

Anyone figured out a way to fix it without replacing it? Some other method of connection?

Old 04-16-2010, 08:05 AM

When I bought the car I didn't even know the smaller panel was back there. I thought the big panel came off a different car because it didn't cover the whole sunroof. My wife was able to fit her arm in there and pull the small panel foward. It hasn't gotten stuck since.

Old 04-16-2010, 03:44 PM

I could not find a replacement for the parts,so I eliminated the tilt action of the sun roof so it just opens and closes. Then with two pieces of stainless wire and working with the head liner out,I drilled two holes at ether end of the slide and two holes in the edge of the sliding metal piece bent a 90 degree foot on each end so the short drain unit moves with the top, and this works very well in keeping the drain were it should be.It looks good and works well but no raised vent action.
Bill
1998 XJ8 VDP

Old 10-03-2010, 04:51 PM
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sparkenzap
Swick:
If you really need to change the seal, it is accomplished by crimping the new seal to the edge of the panel. There is a Jag tool to do it, but I made one from a pair of gas pliers modified with a grinder to allow crimping the inside edge of the sealand not pinching the outside edge. The seal needs to be cut to fit. I beleieve I got my seal from motorcars ltd, but I don't remember. Are you sure the seal is bad? The seal is not actually watertight- that is accomplished via channels in the tracks and drain tubes at each corner. the tubes can plog up with road dirt and not drain properly. Or the track channels can crack where the tubes connect allowing a leak. I usually recommend against dealer service, but unless you have done some body work, the price quoted sounds like a deall.
Where are the drain tubes and drain openings located? Can you give exact location?

Burza 1998 VDP

Old 10-03-2010, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by sparkenzap
Swick:
Where are the drain tubes and drain openings located? Can you provide exact location? My VDP "sprung" a leak at sunroof corner of the liner (front) driver side.

Burza
1998 VDP

Old 10-03-2010, 10:11 PM
Veteran Member

yep- leave it closed. Oh, you meabt really fix it huh?. New slides are several hundred bucks and not real easy to put in.

Old 10-04-2010, 11:26 AM
Default Drain tubes sun roof

They are located on the four corners of the track and exit the bottom of car.The rear ones are about even with the rear of the sliding sun roof when open. I had thought that removing my head liner and working on my sun roof would be a hard job but turned out to be really easy with the help of this forum. Ended up removing the track assembly, installed new head liner and rebuilt sun roof in one week end.Like I said needed the two plastic units for the rear sliding drain but by eliminating the front vent position I was able to make two out of wire. Good luck
Bill

Old 10-05-2010, 12:47 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Bill, can you give some extra info on headliner removal? I have a bubble towards the rear and I want to re-cover before it gets too bad. EDIT -- nevermind Bill, I found it in the archives!

Last edited by technetx; 10-05-2010 at 01:51 AM.
Old 10-09-2010, 10:55 PM

Found drain holes at each corner of the sunroof frame. Drain holes were not plugged. They are hard to see because everything is painted black. Something pops-up at the front of the metal sliding roof when it is opened all the way. Sunroof installation/repair facility re-adjusted this mechanism to close some gap which allowed water to drip onto the corner of a liner which acted as a "wick" for water to get through. The cost of this repair was very reasonable: $72.00

burza
1998 VDP

Last edited by burza; 10-09-2010 at 10:58 PM.
Old 04-05-2019, 04:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to revive such an old thread, but I just want to be clear on something. Your all saying that the smaller piece of headliner cover, towards the back of the sunroof, that part leads the water to the drain? So it's normal to leak through the back of the sunroof onto that half cover? I also have the smaller half piece missing, must be in the far back, but I just wanna make sure I don't need a new felt piece at all before I recover it. I wanna stop any leak into the interior whatsoever cause it's getting a bit moldy on the carpet :/ thanks guys

Old 04-05-2019, 04:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,019 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by Paradox137
Sorry to revive such an old thread, but I just want to be clear on something. Your all saying that the smaller piece of headliner cover, towards the back of the sunroof, that part leads the water to the drain? So it's normal to leak through the back of the sunroof onto that half cover? I also have the smaller half piece missing, must be in the far back, but I just wanna make sure I don't need a new felt piece at all before I recover it. I wanna stop any leak into the interior whatsoever cause it's getting a bit moldy on the carpet :/ thanks guys
Yes that bar is the drain tray if like most it's clips have failed & it went back in the roof, I fished mine out w/a wire clothes hanger.