XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

I have no tail lights what the heck!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 06:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I have no tail lights what the heck!

I have a 1998 jaguar XJ-R. I do have flashers and turn signals but no trail lights or running lights. I have no idea what to do. I have posted before here in the form but could not find my old post. I have replaced the slcm security locking control module and I have also replaced the body processor module. The have no fixed the problem If anyone it has made it worse now my key fob and locks do not work.

I have checked alll fuses in all 5 fuse boxes over 4x now. Dose anyone have a wiring diagram so I can start chasing this beast down? If anyone has any ideas or suggestions that would be great.

Old 01-04-2017, 06:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 487 Likes on 370 Posts
Old 01-05-2017, 03:00 PM
Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigredjaguar
I have a 1998 jaguar XJ-R. I do have flashers and turn signals but no trail lights or running lights. I have no idea what to do. I have posted before here in the form but could not find my old post. I have replaced the slcm security locking control module and I have also replaced the body processor module. The have no fixed the problem If anyone it has made it worse now my key fob and locks do not work.

I have checked alll fuses in all 5 fuse boxes over 4x now. Dose anyone have a wiring diagram so I can start chasing this beast down? If anyone has any ideas or suggestions that would be great.

I once had a wire break in the multifunction switch/turn signal stalk on the column. There are a lot of small wires there and if one of those breaks, it can make odd things occur, particularly with lighting. I bought a new switch thinking I'd have to swap it, but I ended up being able to solder it back onto the terminal.

Let us know how it goes. . . .

Old 01-05-2017, 06:59 PM

what the heck??? really weird. I get a message on the dash saying rear bulb failure. I have no center break light on the back. anyone else have any good idea's? like I said I have ad the BCM and the SLCM rebuilt. still no difference.

Old 01-05-2017, 09:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 857 Likes on 705 Posts

I would examine the wire loom that runs along the right side rear deck hinge -- quite likely a frayed wire. Next, grab the wiring diagram from the stickies and do some tracing.

Who did the SLCM rebuild? Not likely this is the current problem (high mount brake light does not run through the SLCM), but the wiring to it may be frayed, particularly the wires from the brake switch. Does the cruise control work? If not, bad brake switch.

You have examined the key fuses?

Old 01-06-2017, 12:54 AM

I have no idea what you mean by "right side rear deck hinge" what the heck is a deck hinge? could you please post a picture?

I had a company in Idaho called module masters do the rebuild. They assured me that everything inside of it worked great.

I have gotten a wiring diagram that I swear it is super confusing. The module is clearly labeled but the markings on the diagram i just have no idea where they go.

I cant test the cruse control because I cant drive the car without tail lights.

examined the key fuses?? I have tested all fuses in all 5 fuse boxes

I almost feel like the slmc is not getting power from somewhere.

Last edited by Bigredjaguar; 01-06-2017 at 12:56 AM.
Old 01-06-2017, 03:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,351 Likes on 926 Posts

I have no idea what you mean by "right side rear deck hinge" what the heck is a deck hinge?
He means the hinge of the trunk, the passenger side one has several wires under the plastic cover, which tend to break.
However, non of the wires for the taillights nor 3rd brake light pass there, so forget it.
The module will stop supplying power to both lights if there is a short, I should start take out the bulbs, inspect them, then measure if u got voltage on the connector.
Then you will need to work ur way back.

And I think there is an electric manual in the stickies, I have the full booklet downloaded from somewhere.

Old 01-06-2017, 04:03 PM
Veteran Member

As usual, Eric is right. Except, your upper brake light also does not work. I think it is your brake switch that has failed. Since it also controls the cruise control, maybe use your left hand out the window as a braking signal and get it on a patch of highway where you can test the cruise (and the switch).

You need to trace the wires back from the upper brake light -- in the wiring diagram. Find the common that also signals the SLCM. If you can't read a wiring diagram, take it to an auto electric shop along with the Jag electric diagram.

Last edited by Jhartz; 01-06-2017 at 04:11 PM.
Old 01-06-2017, 07:10 PM

I went outside today to start the dam thing. The battery was completely dead. I wonder if it is a possibility that the battery just dose not have enough amperage to work the tail lamps.

as far as the break pedal switch that you are refusing to. I can push the break pedal and it unlocks the shifter so I am thinking the switch could be ok I could be wrong. When i get the battery back fully charged I may look at the wiring diagram and see If i can jump the break pedal switch connector to turn the lights on. If so then it would be that switch.

Why dose jaguar make it so dam hard to read the abbreviations. I have no idea what UG means as there is no color that starts with U looking at the diagram.

Old 01-06-2017, 07:54 PM
Veteran Member

The "User Instructions" section at the start of the 98 XJ Electrical Guide goes through how to read the manual.

Copy/pasted from said section, page 15
Wiring Color Codes
N Brown O Orange
B Black S Slate
W White L Light
K Pink U Blue
G Green P Purple
R Red BRD Braid
Y Yellow
When a wire has two or more color code letters, the first
letter indicates the main color and the subsequent letter(s)
indicate the tracer color(s).

Old 01-06-2017, 09:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,351 Likes on 926 Posts

I went outside today to start the dam thing. The battery was completely dead. I wonder if it is a possibility that the battery just dose not have enough amperage to work the tail lamps.

as far as the break pedal switch that you are refusing to. I can push the break pedal and it unlocks the shifter so I am thinking the switch could be ok I could be wrong. When i get the battery back fully charged I may look at the wiring diagram and see If i can jump the break pedal switch connector to turn the lights on. If so then it would be that switch.

Why dose jaguar make it so dam hard to read the abbreviations. I have no idea what UG means as there is no color that starts with U looking at the diagram.
It is all a bit confusing, but if I understand well, you don't have the rear running lights, and also don't have the center brake light, right?

If so, you have brake lights on the 2 main units, and your brake switch should be good to go.

That said, the brake switch is a 2-in-1 switch, with 2 micro switches operated at the same time.

I have never checked the diagrams on this, but I can imagine one of them going out, the other still functioning, and having partly operation of some functions, but not all.

Old 01-07-2017, 11:55 AM
Veteran Member

Ok, let's review this: when you say you have "no trail lights" I *** u me you mean no tail lights and that includes brake lights - Yes?

Brake switch.

Old 01-07-2017, 01:41 PM

I made some progress. I removed my brake pedal switch and noticed it was getting kind of stuck i wd40 it a little and now I have rear upper tail light working. now I just need to figure out how to get 2 running and stop lamps to work.

Old 01-07-2017, 02:07 PM
Received 214 Likes on 133 Posts

I made some progress. I removed my brake pedal switch and noticed it was getting kind of stuck i wd40 it a little and now I have rear upper tail light working. now I just need to figure out how to get 2 running and stop lamps to work.
Open trunk
Look at the hinge on the right hand side
Look for bundle of wires on hinge.
ALmost CERTAIN that one or more will be bent and broken.
Untape, separate, rejoin.
Bundle and secure.

Old 01-07-2017, 04:51 PM

man i trunk used to be such a nice place. now i have taken it apart. I have gone threw every inch of the wiring. Is this the wiring you guys are talking about?

Attached Thumbnails I have no tail lights what the heck!-15936067_10155004534839917_919048134_n.jpg   I have no tail lights what the heck!-15934413_10155004553304917_1944433480_n.jpg  

Last edited by Bigredjaguar; 01-07-2017 at 04:54 PM.
Old 01-08-2017, 11:21 AM
Veteran Member

I have no experience with the guys in Idaho wgo rebuilt the SLCM, but they have a good rep, so let's assume they did a good job: check the bulbs, check the fuses; then carefully remove the rear fuse/relay box in the boot and double check your installation of the repaired SLCM (one of the plugs is not seated correctly or has a bent prong; ckeck all the surrounding wiring and harness.

As long as the upper brake light is working, you are getting a pedal to brake signal.

Check the wiring to the common junction for the rear running lights -- common bulbs with stop lights and common fixture, but both are not lighting ( tells me that the problem is not the SLCM).

Change the light selection on the left stalk: any lights now turning on? Tells us it is in the switch.

Let us know . . .

Last edited by Jhartz; 01-08-2017 at 11:26 AM.
Old 01-08-2017, 02:56 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gents I have had that issue in the pass because of a dying battery. These cars go batty when they do not get enough amperage from the battery. recommend looking at battery.

Eon

Old 01-08-2017, 03:37 PM

has far as the trunk goes. I think Im going to start putting it back like it was.

I have checked the wiring diagram. The slcm has 2 wires a slate wire 12v (i get nothing at this wire) ground wire has 7v (blue wire) blue is sposta be ground. these wires come from the BCM. the BCM also feeds the lights directly on a separate circuit.

I honestly think my problem is higher up I wonder what feeds power to the BCM. I have swapped out body control modules and have the same problem.I wonder if power goes threw the turn signal switch then to the bcm. I will have to dig threw the wiring diagram. maybe one of you guys can help me do that. I have sent my oriental BCM off to the people in idho for inspection.

there are 2 separate circuits BCM feeds tail lights directly. slcm feeds the stop lights ot the other way around. not getting any power to the slcm would be why I can not program my key fob.

I have also removed the BCM and ran a continuity test from the module to the tail lights. it is good so power is lost somewhere before this point.

There are 5 ground wires in the boot area because mine is a early production model. I have removed and cleaned each one. It has made no difference.

Last edited by Bigredjaguar; 01-08-2017 at 03:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Geofflvmyjag (01-29-2017)
Old 01-09-2017, 03:28 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Wiring diagram

can anyone help with link to wiring diagram, I've got no brake lights , switch is ok ,
cheers geoff

Old 01-09-2017, 07:46 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Geofflvmyjag
can anyone help with link to wiring diagram, I've got no brake lights , switch is ok ,
cheers geoff
At the top of the thread..
Originally Posted by nilanium

The following users liked this post:
Geofflvmyjag (01-20-2017)