XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Mass Air Flow sensor - Lucas aftermarket

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 12:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,618 Likes on 874 Posts
Default Mass Air Flow sensor - Lucas aftermarket

I ordered an aftermarket MAF sensor from Terry's Jaguar (www.terrysjag.com).

I called them and asked if they had a separate denso MAF sensor that I could buy without the assembly.

They said that denso has some kind of agreement with Jaguar and only will sell the MAF sensor assembly. Over $200 for the part.

Terry's Jaguar said they sell an Aftermarket MAF.

They did not give me the part number over phone, but they did say that it is a Lucas aftermarket part and they have sold a number of them to Jaguar X308 customers for about $97.17 plus shipping.

I started to worry after I ordered the part and I had them email me the invoice. The invoice lists part# LNE1620CBX (terry's aftermarket part number). It does mention that is that the part is Lucas brand and does not give the Lucas part number.

When I did a web search using LNE1620CBX, terry's jags webpage showed the part as discontinued. I called them and asked if I was sold a discontinued part. He said that they had them in stock and the webpage would be corrected. I viewed their webpage today and now it says Out of Stock instead of the previous Discontinued status???

Does not sound like this is good if I have a problem with the part.

He also said that the Lucas MAF sensor warrantee is 12 months. I could not get the salesman to send me an email that would confirm the Lucas part number and terry's warrantee policy on this part, also written guarantee of a full refund if I returned the part intact.

I received the parts I ordered from Terry's (priority mail) but I might send it by writing refused on the box (and bring back to US post office).

The only Lucas MAF sensor information for the X308 that I was able to find on the internet was on lucaselectrical.co.uk/air-mass-meter.html. (this webpage says Lucas MAF sensor has 3 year warrantee????)

I found Lucas part number fdm937 on the internet says it fits XJ 1996-2003 and XK 8 coupe 1996-2005.

Lucas MAF sensor??? should I keep it or ???

Old 08-27-2016, 01:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,351 Likes on 926 Posts

Jim,

As far as I know, early XJ8's had a MAF where the sensor can not be removed, but later ones can be separated (correct me if I am wrong).
I think the change came somewhere in early 1999.

Rockauto lists 1999 sensors from $35.00, I think you can hardly go wrong with any of those.

1999 JAGUAR XJ8 4.0L V8 Mass Air Flow Sensor | RockAuto

The following users liked this post:
Don B (08-27-2016)
Old 08-27-2016, 07:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by jimlombardi
Lucas MAF sensor??? should I keep it or ???
I'm not entirely sure what your primary concern is.

If you open the package you can see if you got a MAF in a Lucas box with a Lucas label and presumably the Lucas part number and go from there. If you don't like what you rec'd, for whatever reason, or feel it was misrepresented, send it back.

Personally I wouldn't get too stuck on the brand name....if that's your concern. In today's world of global manufacturing and endless "label engineering" it's hard to know what you're getting. Even when you buy a major brand name product there's no telling who actually made it and where it came from.

Cheers
DD

Don B (08-27-2016)
Old 08-27-2016, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 254 Posts

For what it's worth, I have ordered dozens of times for Terry's Jaguar and I don't feel they would be willing to represent a sub-quality part. There are always oversights of course and the part could be inferior but hasn't been on the market long enough to manifest it's weaknesses.

I also think that Terry's Jaguar would probably make the purchase right if you did have a problem with the part. I am certainly not speaking for them but my impression is that they would work with you. None of the vendors want a Jaguar forum member to have a bad experience, it's just bad business. Word of mouth, or negative thread comments to be more precise, can seriously hurt sales.

Don B (08-27-2016)
Old 08-27-2016, 10:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,618 Likes on 874 Posts

I just opened the USPS Priority mail package I received from Terry's Jags.
Here is a Photo I took of the Lucas box that has the after market MAF sensor:

I will have to call Terry's Jags and ask for a sales manager that can let me know if it has a 3 year or 12 month warrantee.