XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

New to Me XJR, What do I NEED to Know?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 01:50 AM
Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Yeah I'm finding this car sat in the heat/sun without a cover so the interior took a beating and the wood accents have heat cracks in the front doors. The paint has heat cracks too. If the rain subsides tues I may make a run to the local jag dealer to see about that passenger side dash trim so I can fit the new clock/vent piece. Might even pick their brain about the fog lights. I did get a "gearbox high temp" message this morning while the car was parked idling for 10 min so I'd say it's time for a fluid/filter change and flush

Old 01-09-2017, 07:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,768 Likes on 1,302 Posts

For those wood accents, I think it was back in Sept, a member posted about redoing them with detail pics and such. If I recall, he said it was simple, just time consuming waiting for the multiple coats to dry.
If you don't want to do them yourself, I have a guy here in Orlando who redoes the panels (and makes custom shift ****, I have one) I can get you his info?

Old 01-09-2017, 11:41 AM

So on the way to work today with the car, the engine splash shield broke off and is somewhere on the freeway

Old 01-09-2017, 03:02 PM
Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by nilanium
I haven't done the pass side wood trim before, it covers the pass airbag so I think there may be more to it than just popping it off. The hardest hit with these cars is repairing the PO's neglect...
That's why they are called (D)POs. Dumb Previous Owners.

The following users liked this post:
nilanium (01-09-2017)
Old 01-09-2017, 03:06 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bdboyle
That's why they are called (D)POs. Dumb Previous Owners.
LMAO...

Old 01-09-2017, 07:21 PM

ok new engine splash shield ordered for $58 + $10.99 in shipping. not too bad. I have to engineer some new mounting holes since the old ones were broken off by someone before I got the car. My new center vent/clock mount shipped today so that should be here by next week and my antenna should be here around the same time. I should have all these little bugs fixed soon I hope so I can attack the other things I want to do. For now I have the inner fenders zip-tied in place so they can't flop around. I'll need to find both front wheel inner fenders since those were damaged also.

Old 01-11-2017, 11:10 PM

The CD I purchased off ebay came in the mail today. Opened it up and the first file is the 98-03 Jaguar FSM 2492 pages!!! Also included on the cd are all the electrical guides and manuals. I paid $9.95 for the cd

Old 01-12-2017, 09:53 AM
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Phogg Lytes

Tahoemedic,

Do you have all the Owners Manuals/Guides which come with the car? Look up Fog lights.

May be interlocked to specific exterior light mode.

ie; may not illuminate in headlight 'Auto', but will work when left steering stalk light control is rotated to another mode.

Try playing with the front & rear foglights while advancing through the various light settings.

You may find they only light in a manual mode, but once on will stay lit when headlight selector is placed back in Auto.

If you also cannot get rear foglight function, may not be bulbs.

Old 01-12-2017, 04:31 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tahoemedic
The CD I purchased off ebay came in the mail today. Opened it up and the first file is the 98-03 Jaguar FSM 2492 pages!!! Also included on the cd are all the electrical guides and manuals. I paid $9.95 for the cd
It wouldn't happen to be the same as this....https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...k-links-20090/ ...from the "How To" thread would it?

Old 01-12-2017, 04:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 487 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Highhorse
It wouldn't happen to be the same as this....https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...k-links-20090/ ...from the "How To" thread would it?
I already posted links to everything in this thread, twice...

Old 01-13-2017, 06:50 AM
Veteran Member

Maybe 3rd time is a charm?..

The following users liked this post:
nilanium (01-13-2017)
Old 01-13-2017, 11:38 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tahoemedic
Any recommendations for a shop in the Bakersfield or Fresno area to do a trans service/flush? Thanks
I'm in Santa Clarita, just over the grapevine from you...would be happy to help you. The trans service is extremely simple, you even have a drain plug. You will probably need to do several drain and refills to get the fluid clean.

The gearbox overheat dash light you received is probably a culprit of the leaking wiring harness seal on the transmission, which is also an easy fix while you are servicing the transmission.

These are great cars, and by now most of the weaknesses have been found and are relatively easy to address.

Doug

Old 01-14-2017, 07:43 PM

Just finished replacing the center vent/clock setup on the dash. My new antenna mast showed up today so will replace that tomorrow. I have a nagging suspicion the fog light switch is bad so just in case I ordered a new one. I visited my local Jag dealer and they were extremely friendly and helpful. They thought it was so cool that I picked up this car and that I do all the work myself. I was introduced to the service manager who in turn introduced me to the head mechanic that's been there forever. I have to pull the passenger front door panel to replace the door latch cable. I'm figuring a couple hour job.

Old 01-14-2017, 10:20 PM

You may know a lot about this forum and Jags which is great but I'm new to the forum thing and what I saw in your link that you posted did not appear to be the same as what I ordered. Also my garage is small so it does double duty. Many would love to have a private garage. I've tried to be nice and appreciate your input but would like it with less sarcasm. Thanks

Old 01-14-2017, 10:40 PM
Veteran Member

If I'd known that wasn't what you asked for I'd have suggested other places to look, most all the jag docs are available for free online somewhere. I'm curious, what's different about the fsm that came on the CD?

Also do share pics of the bumper/splash shield fix when you get it done, I've been putting mine off since almost all the tabs were broken off when I got it.

Old 01-14-2017, 11:04 PM

If I'd known that wasn't what you asked for I'd have suggested other places to look, most all the jag docs are available for free online somewhere. I'm curious, what's different about the fsm that came on the CD?

Also do share pics of the bumper/splash shield fix when you get it done, I've been putting mine off since almost all the tabs were broken off when I got it.
When I clicked on that link only thing I saw was forum how to's and electrical guides. I didn't see the service manual. I'm sure it's there but I didn't see it. Plus I had already ordered the fsm with all the electrical guides. I pick up the splash shield on weds. Jaguar ordered new clips for me at wholesale so I got a bag for like $20. They also told me to leave the trans alone unless it's slipping since it's a sealed unit. That seems contrary to what others say on here. I've dealt with ZF trans before, albeit a 6-speed. They are pretty basic in maintaining.

Old 01-15-2017, 12:37 AM
Veteran Member

Ah sounds like your splash shield issue was different than mine, my mount tabs were torn off from some previous accident. the xjr doesn't have a zf 5 speed like the xj8 it uses the merc 5g tronic something or other. much more reliable. there's fluid and filter kits available for the xjr transmission.

Old 01-15-2017, 09:01 AM
Veteran Member

The Eaton SC is also listed as a sealed unit, but with high revolution moving parts, heat and wear, ..fluids thus need to be serviced. Place that aspect into a transmission and I believe the results are the same. Besides, would you put used transmission fluid and filter into a transmission or new to assure function?
Vector made a good statement ...
"Sealed for life" to the automobile manufacturer means until the warranty runs out. That is the "life" of a part or vehicle as far as they are concerned, after that it is YOUR problem and expense."

Last edited by Highhorse; 01-15-2017 at 09:05 AM.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:13 AM

yeah next weekend, all of the fluids in the car will be changed out. just so I'm starting with fresh everything. Right now the car runs and sounds great. I do need to buy a spare rim since the spare didn't come with the car.

Old 01-22-2017, 11:21 PM

I installed the new engine splash shield. I had to be creative with attaching it since the old one ripped most of the eyes on the front fascia. Between zip ties and some creative use with body bolts I was able to adequately secure it. I will take pics and do a "how to" on what I did. Did my first oil change on the car tonight. What a joy! Phenomenally easy compared to my other cars/trucks. When I have some time I plan to fashion a sheet metal diverter for under the oil filter keeping the oil directed to the drain pan instead of the oil pan rail. Still haven't figured out the fog lights. Bulbs are good and new switch at the dash. I have to dig into the electrical manual to see if there's a relay somewhere or just wires (which I pray is not the case).