XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

No Crank, no start.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 11:44 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default No Crank, no start.

Howdy from Illinois!

I have a 2003 XJ8. It started out very intermittantly not cranking. Turn the key and the dash lights up as usually, but no crank. Yesterday, it appears to have permanently adopted this habit, which should make it easier to find. I was thinking starter and going to check starter for powers & grounds. However, when the key is turned on and dash lights up as normal, I put my foot on brake pedal and expected to be able to put car in neutral. It will not come out of park. The car is locked to the earth. Tried different a key (car came with 5, 3 regular/2 valet) and there is no change.

I'm half expecting an ignition switch issue because I can't get it out of park like most cars, although Jaguars aren't most cars. I still plan on checking the starter and it's connections, just in case.

I searched forum for no crank and found nothing. Has anyone encountered this before?

Thanks for your time.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No crank no start

I have the same issue of no crank and unable to get out of park..I just replaced the trans for drum A failure. Got it all put back together, and no crank and stuck in gear. Did you find an answer to your problem. If so, could you let me know how it was fixed. Thanks

Old 07-27-2012, 03:12 AM
GGG
Received 16,761 Likes on 12,150 Posts

Originally Posted by bhowe2
I have the same issue of no crank and unable to get out of park..I just replaced the trans for drum A failure. Got it all put back together, and no crank and stuck in gear. Did you find an answer to your problem. If so, could you let me know how it was fixed. Thanks
Welcome to the forum bhowe2,

While you're waiting for an answer, you could go to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST section and tell us something about you and your car.

Graham

Old 07-27-2012, 08:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 298 Posts

I know you can't get the shifter out of park unless you push on the brake, so maybe it is a problem with the brake switch. In fact, I can't test this right now, but I don't think the car will start without a foot on the brake. Anybody know for sure ?

Old 07-27-2012, 09:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 540 Likes on 421 Posts

Check the bulkhead connector.

Old 07-28-2012, 08:16 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

search intermittent no start- I had a similar problem that took a while to figure out.

Old 12-28-2016, 01:03 PM
Default Again with this No Crank problem.

Good afternoon! I made the original post over 4 years ago. I never have found a solution. Fast forward to Christmas Day 2016, gifts loaded up, wife and I ready to motor..........Dash lights up, nothing from starter. No click, no nothing. It does this very, very sporadically. Might not see it for several months at a time. Usually cranks on the 2nd or third attempt. Not this time. It never does it for long, when I come back for diagnostics, it starts fin, just like it did today. When this occurred, I depressed the brake pedal to put the car in neutral to see if it would crank that way indicating a neutral safety issue. The car would not come out of park.

As I said, it is now working fine. I'm leaning toward an ignition switch issue or possible connections on the steering column. I haven't stripped the column covers off yet to check. Has anyone out there seen this and solved it? Thought I'd ask again before I dive in headlong. I searched but didn't see anything jumping out at me.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Old 12-28-2016, 03:19 PM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

Originally Posted by dsnyder586
Check the bulkhead connector.
Did you ever check the power stud on the false bulkhead connector as was recommended???

I find this fault a few times a year. It usually is melted so it is a 'dead-giveaway' that the connection is faulty.

Also check the 'HIGH POWER PROTECTION MODULE' (AKA Megafuse) in the boot in front of the battery and spare wheel for corrosion/connection.

bob

Last edited by motorcarman; 12-28-2016 at 03:27 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by motorcarman:
Don B (12-28-2016), XJRay (02-26-2017)
Old 12-29-2016, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by motorcarman
Did you ever check the power stud on the false bulkhead connector as was recommended???

I find this fault a few times a year. It usually is melted so it is a 'dead-giveaway' that the connection is faulty.

Also check the 'HIGH POWER PROTECTION MODULE' (AKA Megafuse) in the boot in front of the battery and spare wheel for corrosion/connection.

bob
I did check power stud that feeds power to the starter and alternator, its directly infront of the passenger seat. Its perfect, tight, and clean. I did look at every fuse in the vehicle last time. I will recheck the mega fuses at the battery. This must be the most fused vehicle I've ever seen. Truck panel, both heel panels in back seat, under hood panel. The number of fuses, if i remember, is over 100!

Thanks for the reply! It is very much appreciated.

Old 12-29-2016, 09:27 AM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

The power stud discussed is the is in the ENGINE COMPARTMENT on the false bulkhead.

The stud is near the box that protects the TCM & ECM.

bob

The following 2 users liked this post by motorcarman:
Don B (02-21-2017), XJRay (02-26-2017)
Old 12-29-2016, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 967 Likes on 766 Posts

I know you said it was sporadic but, maybe it could be a starter as well. They have brass or copper contact inside the starter solenoid that can get burnt just from high current. Also, if there's engine oil on the starter, there could be oil inside the starter also. Just some ideas.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (02-21-2017)
Old 02-20-2017, 10:59 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Has your issue been resolved? When you put your key into ignition does your steering column and front seat adjust to your saved setting? Something is not recognizing your key is in ignition to give the start signal. Ohm out your key transponder coil (aka exciter ring).

Old 02-22-2017, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by bigcat01
Has your issue been resolved? When you put your key into ignition does your steering column and front seat adjust to your saved setting? Something is not recognizing your key is in ignition to give the start signal. Ohm out your key transponder coil (aka exciter ring).
Yes, steering column and seat come to life with key, it's just no start and the shifter will not unlock. This past weekend I replaced the ignition switch because of this problem. The feel of the ignition tumbler is different now, I do not have to turn the key as far as I did before to engage the starter, now it works like a new car whereas before I had to turn the key all the way until it stopped. I believe my issue was that the ignition switch was worn out and simply could no longer make contact. It is a fairly easy replacement. I also replaced the multifunction switch (turn signal/wiper/headlight/trip computer/etc.) because the speaker failed and no longer sound for turn signals or key in ignition. As the steering wheel was rather worn and the airbag was scratched by previous owner, I replaced those as well. Now everything is working and the steering wheel leather and airbag appear as new. Happy wife, happy life!!!

The following 3 users liked this post by 007:
Don B (02-22-2017), motorcarman (02-22-2017), XJRay (02-26-2017)
Old 02-23-2017, 04:45 PM
Received 91 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by 007
Yes, steering column and seat come to life with key, it's just no start and the shifter will not unlock. This past weekend I replaced the ignition switch because of this problem. The feel of the ignition tumbler is different now, I do not have to turn the key as far as I did before to engage the starter, now it works like a new car whereas before I had to turn the key all the way until it stopped. I believe my issue was that the ignition switch was worn out and simply could no longer make contact. It is a fairly easy replacement. I also replaced the multifunction switch (turn signal/wiper/headlight/trip computer/etc.) because the speaker failed and no longer sound for turn signals or key in ignition. As the steering wheel was rather worn and the airbag was scratched by previous owner, I replaced those as well. Now everything is working and the steering wheel leather and airbag appear as new. Happy wife, happy life!!!
is the P illuminated in the J GATE? If not the car won't start and may not depending on the fault move out of park. Pretty basic stuff really.