XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

01 XJR - Throttle Body Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 08:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 XJR - Throttle Body Issues

Guys,

So this last week has been pure hell for both myself and my precious cat. Last week I has my knock sensors replaces as it was throwing up the P0308 code etc - $1300. Picked the car up from the dealership the next day and the day after the car broke down for the first time ever - Engine failsafe - red/amber lights!! Whilst in for the knock sensor replacement the completed the BG fuel/air service - hence now my throttle body is toast. They claim its an electrical issue and has nothing to do with the cleaning of the TB. So $2000 and I went to the dealership to pick the car up last night. Whilst driving out the dealership (20 seconds or so) - the engine light comes on (P0105) - Is this all coincidence or am I getting fleeced by these guys. They are looking at the car as we speak - spoke to the general manager last night to voice my displeasure. I was stranded for three hours in the dark - Should I contact the bureau for consumer affairs or go directly to Jaguar USA? Anyone had these issues before? Surely it just can't be me??

Thoughts as ever greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Steve

Old 09-26-2012, 12:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,341 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Wow - is there no good euro indie shops in your neck of the woods, these guys sound like they are robbing you.
Did you ask for the BG service? or did they recommend it? if no go to the boss of the dealership and state the tech's smoked your throttle. No if's or buts, it went in with a fault and comes out with two completely different ones. (after x years of trouble free motoring...) too much of a coincidence for any tech minded individual.

You can get your original TB rebuilt for a fraction of the new cost and it's 10 minutes to fit. Suggest that to the dealer before the new part is fitted.

I wonder if they even performed a 'hard reset' after the clean, this would re-calibrate the throttle and sensors for fuel trims....I bet they didn't, and are fleecing you.
I'm being blunt here and assumption can get me into trouble, but it sounds like morons working on your car.

Last edited by Sean B; 09-26-2012 at 12:46 PM.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,618 Likes on 874 Posts

Hi Sparkers69
Look at this other forum thread on P0105 DTC code appearing:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-bummer-75055/

Post# 3 has his remedy to dtc code, Post# 1 gives description of problem.

Jim Lombardi

Old 09-26-2012, 07:34 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

+1 and I would let them explain all of this to you.....

Originally Posted by Sean B
Wow - is there no good euro indie shops in your neck of the woods, these guys sound like they are robbing you.
Did you ask for the BG service? or did they recommend it? if no go to the boss of the dealership and state the tech's smoked your throttle. No if's or buts, it went in with a fault and comes out with two completely different ones. (after x years of trouble free motoring...) too much of a coincidence for any tech minded individual.

You can get your original TB rebuilt for a fraction of the new cost and it's 10 minutes to fit. Suggest that to the dealer before the new part is fitted.

I wonder if they even performed a 'hard reset' after the clean, this would re-calibrate the throttle and sensors for fuel trims....I bet they didn't, and are fleecing you.
I'm being blunt here and assumption can get me into trouble, but it sounds like morons working on your car.

Old 03-01-2015, 06:12 PM
Default XJR 100 Throttle body issue

Hi i have the same issue as everyone else TPS sensor, I have replaced TPS sensor now i am under the assumption that i have to have the throttle body rebuilt.As i am in Australia does anyone know where to have this done, if i have to ship it i dont care the car is useless. Thanks

Old 03-01-2015, 08:15 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Attached is a link to ASI who rebuilds throttle bodies.

Link http://www.autoecu.com/index.php?p=1

Old 03-02-2015, 04:24 AM
Received 221 Likes on 172 Posts

If you have replaced the TPS then you might need to calibrate it. If you loosen the screws you can twist it left and right, if you didn't put it back exactly where the old one was, then you risk throwing the same error codes.

There's a great thread in the XK forum about it... I'll see if I can find it...

:edit: here it is
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...acement-77560/

Last edited by grandell; 03-02-2015 at 12:59 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 03-02-2015, 04:35 PM
Default Tps

Hi thanks yes i have replaced TPS with a second hand one the car drove great for 5 days as i was parking it went into failsafe again. I then got another TPS installed it car ran for 5 mins then crashed, as i have been reading other peoples problems i read brake light switch replace.I am waiting to hear back from ASI in the USA.Thanks Glen

Old 03-03-2015, 03:31 AM
Received 221 Likes on 172 Posts

I wouldn't bother with a second hand TPS. I, and many others will vouch for ASI and the great work they do, as well as their lifetime warranty.

Do it once, do it right