XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Production Runs and Colors

Old 12-24-2011, 02:35 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Production Runs and Colors

Is there any information out there about how many cars were produced of each color for each year? My 2003 XJR is Ebony Black, but according to my dealer, they never offered the 2003 XJR in in Ebony Black.
They did offer it in Anthracite (Black Metallic), but my car is definitely Ebony Black. I even looked inside the doors to make sure it hadn't been repainted. Is mine a freak that is now worth thousands of $$$ more? (wishing)...

Old 12-24-2011, 05:46 PM
luc
Received 195 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by rverginia
Is there any information out there about how many cars were produced of each color for each year? My 2003 XJR is Ebony Black, but according to my dealer, they never offered the 2003 XJR in in Ebony Black.
They did offer it in Anthracite (Black Metallic), but my car is definitely Ebony Black. I even looked inside the doors to make sure it hadn't been repainted. Is mine a freak that is now worth thousands of $$$ more? (wishing)...
What make you believe that your XJR is ebony instead of anthracite?
What's the paint code on the door?
Beside the fact that your dealer is correct and the only black for XJR was anthracite, you could custom order any jaguar in any jaguar color but not in the US. ( save for the XJR=VDP)
Either you're mistaking anthracite for ebony or your car was repainted.

Last edited by luc; 12-24-2011 at 05:51 PM.
Old 12-24-2011, 05:48 PM
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Dealers ain't always right, believe me. We have just been offered a Disco 2 (LR2, your tongue), 4.0L V8. The VIN tells me it has a 2.6 litre in-line 6 cylinder engine, but unless my eyesight has failed me completely, the engine photographed in the engine bay is definitely a V8.

There should be a paint code label in the engine compartment (usually, although it may show up on a door pillar). Email that code to Jaguar Customer Service in the UK, and you will then know who is right. If the dealer is wrong, whose credibility has suffered.

I have a similar hassle here, except that mine is withy the Insurance Company, who insist that my Rangie doesn't exist. So, like I'm driving a mirage? I know we need consumers to keep the economy going, but seriously!

cheers & Mery Xmas to all

Languid

Old 12-24-2011, 09:13 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My 2003 XJR is a non-metallic black as well. I don't think it is anything special other than being an R1 version. I thought the anthracite paint was only for the 2002 XJR100 edition cars anyway.

Old 12-24-2011, 11:13 PM
luc

Originally Posted by squish
My 2003 XJR is a non-metallic black as well. I don't think it is anything special other than being an R1 version. I thought the anthracite paint was only for the 2002 XJR100 edition cars anyway.
Anthracite was the "standard" black color for all X308 XJR.
It's what i have on my 01 XJR ( with brembo and silver Milan wheels

Talking about 0ne-of-a-kind, my XJR must be the only Jaguar XJR will a full leather interior ( all XJR, including the XJR100, had mostly vinyl/ambla, save for the seats)
It's a long story that I will share if anyone is interested

Old 12-25-2011, 05:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,333 Likes on 1,053 Posts

The paint code will be on the door shuts and the sticker under the bonnet, code will be there.

[QUOTE=
Talking about 0ne-of-a-kind, my XJR must be the only Jaguar XJR will a full leather interior ( all XJR, including the XJR100, had mostly vinyl/ambla, save for the seats)
It's a long story that I will share if anyone is interested[/QUOTE]

Not mine, leather front kick panels, b posts, wing mirror covers (inside!) parcel shelf etc. Do tell, merry Christmas!

Old 12-25-2011, 07:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 470 Likes on 352 Posts

My XJ8 has a full real leather interior, everything used to "moo" and it is from the factory too. It is all SVO (Special Vehicle Operations) in there, even the door pockets have real leather on them.

You might as well share the story now you've mentioned it.

Old 12-25-2011, 08:16 AM
JKo
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by luc
Anthracite was the "standard" black color for all X308 XJR.
It's what i have on my 01 XJR
And my '00 XJR too. AFAIK the XJR100 was always flat black (not metallic/pearl).

Old 12-25-2011, 09:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,333 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Originally Posted by JKo
And my '00 XJR too. AFAIK the XJR100 was always flat black (not metallic/pearl).
That's wrong, the 100's have pearl anthracite, colour code 'PED'. I've got an ICI receipt for 5 liters. No other shades. I think Jaguar must have offered gloss black and Anthracite.

Stu's car, he's holding back, it's a full Daimler Super V8 trim, special order, VDP spec' in the US I think..

Merry Christmas!

Old 12-25-2011, 10:22 AM
luc

Originally Posted by Stu 1986
My XJ8 has a full real leather interior, everything used to "moo" and it is from the factory too. It is all SVO (Special Vehicle Operations) in there, even the door pockets have real leather on them.

You might as well share the story now you've mentioned it.
You guys in the UK are lucky, you could/can order your jaguar with a myriad of options.

Regarding my leather interior:
When i bought my car brand new, Jaguar brochure, website, etc, described the 2001 XJR interior as " crafted with hand-stiched leather" and specifically mentioned the console.

After a few days of ownership, I had some serious doubt so I took apart the console lid to look at the back of the "leather"
Well, the fabric backing made it clear that it was not, as I suspected, leather but rather a very good quality ambla.
I then contacted Jaguar customer service to explain the problem.
They basically told me that i was wrong and didn't knew what I was talking about.
My next step was to send a certified letter to the president of Jaguar USA ( Mike O' Driscoll at the time)
A couple of months later i received a letter form the secretary to the president, offering as a "good will gesture" , to buy back my car.
I declined the offer and a few days later got a call from this lady.

She was very friendly, told me that she had the XJ8 product manager with her and that i was wrong, the console lid was made out of leather.
Once I told her what I did to verify that it was ambla and not leather and asked her to pull a console lid from one of their own cars , she asked me to wait a few minutes and put me on hold.

When she came back a few minutes later, I could hear a bunch of peoples in the background ( I must have been on a speakerphone) including someone saying something like " how could that have happen".

Now she was not arguing anymore with me but rather asked me what I wanted them to do. I replied that I wanted nothing more and nothing less than the interior of my car being as advertised.
I then told her all the pieces that needed to be changed to real leather ( and I asked for Autolux)
Console
console lid
rear console extention
handbrake gaiter
4 door pockets
4 door armrests

She agreed to it, sent me a FORD check in the amount of $2K to reimburse me for some of the parts that i had already changed and instructed my dealer to order "per ther secretary to the president" all the other parts at no charge to me.
As a footnote, the 2002 brochure, advertising, etc, was changed and the words " hand-stiched leather" was removed

I sill have all the letters, check,etc

Last edited by luc; 12-25-2011 at 10:31 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by luc:
Carnival Kid (08-11-2018), joeldietzjr (01-08-2015), Sean B (12-25-2011)
Old 12-25-2011, 04:52 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Luc - good story. I must have lucked out since mine is all leather.
My paint code is PEC (Ebony) not PED (Anthracite).
So, back to my original question: Is there any information out there about how many cars were produced of each color for each year? Specifically, How many PEC NA 2003 MY.
And, Merry Christmas to all.

Old 12-25-2011, 06:25 PM
luc

Originally Posted by rverginia
Luc - good story. I must have lucked out since mine is all leather.
My paint code is PEC (Ebony) not PED (Anthracite).
So, back to my original question: Is there any information out there about how many cars were produced of each color for each year? Specifically, How many PEC NA 2003 MY.
And, Merry Christmas to all.
Your best bet would be to contact the factory in England.

If your XJR is all leather, it's not from the factory, no XJR could be ordered with a full leather interior. Was simply not an option, even for the XJR100. At least not through the normal ordering process.

A good way to verify is for you to go to a jag dealer and ask what is the price/part # for let say the console or door armrest for your car
They will ask you for your VIN and from the part # I can tell you if it's vinyl or leather
Most interior trim parts came in 3 flavors, ambla/vinyl, leather and autolux leather.
In the part # if the first letter after the numerals is:
A = Ambla
B = leather
C = Autolux leather

From the factory the following parts are leather on a XJR/XJR100
Seating surfaces of the seats
Center part of the headrest
Handbrake handle
Seat back pockets
"airbag" tag on the side of the seat
Trunk pull strap
Part of the steering wheel

The Brembo ( R1 or XJR100) cars add a small leather pouch for the air valve adaptor and the shifter knob (XJR100)

VDP and SC/VDP added ( all in Autolux leather)
Console
Console lid
Cupholder lid
Console ashtray lid ( only on very early cars was ambla/vinyl after)
Side and back of seats
Door pockets
Door Armrests
Rear console extention
handbrake gaiter

The gearshift surround was always either rubber ( on earlier car) or ambla/vinyl

Not trim related but the SC have a cooling fan for the engine computer compartment, not present on NA cars

If your car has ebony and a full leather interior it's indeed a very rare car that was not ordered through the regular channel. For example by a Ford/Jaguar executive or by the owner of a very large dealership for it's own use.
You should try to find more about it through DMv/Jaguar records

Last edited by luc; 12-25-2011 at 06:54 PM.
Old 08-03-2018, 09:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by luc
You guys in the UK are lucky, you could/can order your jaguar with a myriad of options.

Regarding my leather interior:
When i bought my car brand new, Jaguar brochure, website, etc, described the 2001 XJR interior as " crafted with hand-stiched leather" and specifically mentioned the console.

After a few days of ownership, I had some serious doubt so I took apart the console lid to look at the back of the "leather"
Well, the fabric backing made it clear that it was not, as I suspected, leather but rather a very good quality ambla.
I then contacted Jaguar customer service to explain the problem.
They basically told me that i was wrong and didn't knew what I was talking about.
My next step was to send a certified letter to the president of Jaguar USA ( Mike O' Driscoll at the time)
A couple of months later i received a letter form the secretary to the president, offering as a "good will gesture" , to buy back my car.
I declined the offer and a few days later got a call from this lady.

She was very friendly, told me that she had the XJ8 product manager with her and that i was wrong, the console lid was made out of leather.
Once I told her what I did to verify that it was ambla and not leather and asked her to pull a console lid from one of their own cars , she asked me to wait a few minutes and put me on hold.

When she came back a few minutes later, I could hear a bunch of peoples in the background ( I must have been on a speakerphone) including someone saying something like " how could that have happen".

Now she was not arguing anymore with me but rather asked me what I wanted them to do. I replied that I wanted nothing more and nothing less than the interior of my car being as advertised.
I then told her all the pieces that needed to be changed to real leather ( and I asked for Autolux)
Console
console lid
rear console extention
handbrake gaiter
4 door pockets
4 door armrests

She agreed to it, sent me a FORD check in the amount of $2K to reimburse me for some of the parts that i had already changed and instructed my dealer to order "per ther secretary to the president" all the other parts at no charge to me.
As a footnote, the 2002 brochure, advertising, etc, was changed and the words " hand-stiched leather" was removed

I sill have all the letters, check,etc
Its funny how the amount they sent you was just 500 less than my 03 xj8, times have changed indeed