XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Programming key fob

Old 11-26-2011, 01:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Programming key fob

Just purchased a 1998 XJ8. Key fob does not work. I replaced the two batteries as per the owners booklet. Dealer says it is sending a signal on all 4 channels (4 buttons). I've found enough information on-line to figure out how to get the car into "learning" mode...but I still can't seem to program the fob to work.

Any ideas...suggestions? Thanks... Bob

Old 11-26-2011, 02:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

. . . welcome to the forum!

It is not unusual for the fobs on these cars to be missing or inoperative when purchased. Did it come with the car or did you buy it from eBay? Has the fob ever worked? For the previous owner or you? There are two or more parts numbers for most years. The dealer can tell you what the correct number is.

Old 11-26-2011, 03:46 PM

I got the fob with the car & 1 key. It wasn't working because it had the wrong battery in it (a single, instead of the 2 required). So I have no idea how long it hasn't worked. I am going to assume it is the correct fob for the car, since it came with the key.

Old 11-26-2011, 06:30 PM
Veteran Member

If your are getting the 'learning' beep are you depressing any button 5 times?

The Security Module wants to program to 5 fobs.

Old 11-27-2011, 10:18 AM
Default Test point

I believe I was pressing 4 times as per one of my instructions I downloaded, though it might have been 5. However I will try the 5 tomorrow (I am out of state for Thanksgiving, will be home tomorrow). I'll post the response here after I try.

If I remember right, after the button is pushed the required times, the system should blink red & a slight "beep" sound...is that correct? Then I go on to the next button?

Appreciate the help & advice...now to go try. Bob

Old 11-27-2011, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member

The multiple depressions are for multiple fobs. You do not have to sync each button.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:43 AM

So let's see if I understand. I only have to push each button once, then perhaps the 4th one twice, to get the five? Or do I push each one five times?

I'll be home this afternoon, so will try both ways, see what happens. I'll have a report here this evening letting you know what happens!

Bob

Old 11-29-2011, 12:56 AM

I'm home & tried both ways...didn't work. Tried pushing the button 5 times, then waited. Nothing (I understand when it works the red light will blip at you. So I'm still looking for more detailed instructions as to how this crazy little thing works.

Old 11-29-2011, 05:04 AM
Veteran Member

You only have to push A button 5 times. It took me about 3 tries to get everything to work but it finally did.

If you continue to have problems syncing I would be concerned that you do not have the correct fob. Discuss with your local Jaguar dealer or look on eBay for the part numbers listed for you model year. There will probably be at least two.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:55 AM

I checked with eBay & found several sites with the same number needed...then checked my fob, & it is not the same. Evidently I am supposed to have LJA2610AA...but instead I have XR8315K601AA . So perhaps we have the source of the problem, & I wonder...how did this fob come with this car? Ok...now I have to find a correct one, so back to looking. Thanks for the info & help. I'll let you know how my searching now goes! Bob

Old 12-01-2011, 09:02 AM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

XR8????? part numbers were originally associated with S-Type so it is most likely for that car.

bob gauff

Old 12-01-2011, 09:30 AM
Received 110 Likes on 55 Posts

The battery of my spare fob has died a while ago.
After I changed the batteries my fob still wouldn't work.
In a German board I recently got a slightly different instruction for my MJ99 XJ8.
I haven't tried it but it might work for your car as well?

- Insert key in ignition (do not turn key)
- Pull the beam/long distance light into full beam
- While holding the full beam turn key into position 1
- Release beam and pull it again 4 times
- Push the "lock" button on the fob
If you hear a beep now the fob should work with your car.

Cheers,

David

Last edited by DavidN; 12-02-2011 at 04:01 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by DavidN:
DimitrisBXL (03-10-2016), spanky (10-05-2015)
Old 12-02-2011, 09:43 AM

David: I have tried that...I have found no way that will activate the 'beep' when the fob is programmed. The only thing that I can now figure is that I have the wrong fob for this car...especially when the numbers do not match what I'm supposed to have (LJ8xxxxxx...instead of an XR8, which came with my car, but never worked).

So back to the drawing board...er, back to searching for the right fob, I guess.

Bob

Old 12-02-2011, 11:30 AM
Received 110 Likes on 55 Posts

Bob,

don't give up that quick.
I found another one ...

XJ8 (X308) Key Fob Programming
This worked for me:

1) Unlock car and get in, leaving drivers door open.
2) Pull headlight flasher back and insert key while holding.
3) While still holding headlight flasher, turn key to position II.
4) Release headlamp flasher and then flash headlights four more times.
5) The red lamp on the gear selecter will illuminate (no sound).
6) Press a buttons on each fob to program (gear selecter lamp will flash for each fob press).

Done.

And another one:

Key in ignition without turning to any position.
Hold turn signal stalk in the flash to pass position, pulled towards you.
Turn key one position while holding the stalk.
Flash the stalk 4 or 5 times and you should hear a confirmation tone from the security sounder. It is not the horn, and in an area with high outside noise levels you may not be able to hear it, it is rather quiet.
After the tone press any button on the remote you wish to program and you will either hear a similar tone confirming programming or a different sounding error tone meaning that the programming did not work.

If you did not get the initial tone confirming programming mode there could be either a problem with the security module or a problem with the procedure.

The flashes after turning the key require a certain amount of feel. Very rapid or very slow flashing will not work. The 4 or 5 flashes should take a second or 2 not rapid fire.

And another one:

Note: All remote transmitters belonging to the vehicle being serviced mmust be available. If the learning process is carried out without having all transmitters present, all previous transmitter codes will be overwritten, rendering the missing transmitters inoperable.

1. Insert key in ignition, leave in the OFF position.

2. Hold headlight flasher back.

3. Turn ignition key position to 1.

4. Flash headlights 4 times. Alarm will enter programming mode. This will be confirmed by " Beeps", from the alarm and flashing LED on gearshift. Programm each transmitter ( UP TO 5 ) by pressing the lock or unlock button on each transmitter once. The alarm will " Honk " when you press the transmitter button. The alarm must honk 5 times to complete the programming. Therefore, if you are only programming one transmitter you should operate the transmitter 5 times. If you are programming two {2} transmitters you will operate one {1} transmitter twice, and three times on the other. For five {5} transmitters you will operate each transmitter once.

All RF handset transmitters belonging to the vehicle being serviced must be available. If the learning process is carried out without having all the transmitters present, all previous transmitter codes will be overwritten, rendering the missing transmitters inoperable. Hold headlight flasher back.Turn ignition key to position 1. Flash headlights 4 times. Alarm will enter programming mode.This will be confirmed by "beeps" from the alarm and flashing led on gearshift. Program each transmitter (up to 5) by pressing the lock or unlock button on the each transmitter once.The alarm will "honk" when you press the transmitter button.The alarm must honk 5 times to complete the programming. Therefore, if you are only programming one transmitter you should operate the transmitter 5 times. If you are programming two transmitters you will operate one transmitter twice, and three times on the other. For five transmitters you will operate each transmitter once.

And another one:

1. Insert key in ignition, leave in the OFF position.

2. Hold headlight flasher back.

3. Turn ignition key position to 1.

4. Flash headlights 4 times. Alarm will enter programming mode. This will be confirmed by " Beeps", from the alarm and flashing LED on gearshift. Programm each transmitter ( UP TO 5 ) by pressing the lock or unlock button on each transmitter once. The alarm will " Honk " when you press the transmitter button. The alarm must honk 5 times to complete the programming. Therefore, if you are only programming one transmitter you should operate the transmitter 5 times. If you are programming two {2} transmitters you will operate one {1} transmitter twice, and three times on the other. For five {5} transmitters you will operate each transmitter once.

Have fun ...

David

The following 5 users liked this post by DavidN:
DimitrisBXL (03-10-2016), Donzi (07-02-2013), JKo (06-05-2012), kerry (11-15-2013), Red Baron (06-13-2015)
Old 12-03-2011, 01:46 PM

Thanks David...I appreciate the effort to put these all in one place. I think I have printed out all of these at one time or another over the past few weeks.

I have no trouble getting the car into "learn" mode...pull back light switch, turn key, etc...I get the slight beep-beep, telling me the car is ready. Then, I have tried everything, & more, to get the fob to program...all to no avail. So I have ordered one with the correct number on it. Then I'll go thru the process again...hopefully, successfully!

Again, thanks for all the help & advice. Bob

Old 12-09-2011, 01:07 AM

David...et all: Ok...I ordered the "correct" fob, & received it this week. Fresh batteries. Excited to try...to no avail. David, I've tried everything you posted...plus more. I cannot get it to "beep" the horn after getting the car in "program mode" (2 little beeps after light on console)...nothing I do is working. So what in the world do I do next? Anybody...any ideas?? Bob

Old 08-12-2012, 06:06 PM
PAJ
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 1998 XJ8 Programming Key FOB

I have tried every procedure. Once I get the beep that signals the learning mode, I get two beeps after holding the button for about 15 seconds. I have clean all of the contacts on the FOB. It was working fine before I changed the batteries. But nothing seems to work

Old 06-26-2013, 12:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there a reason why I am NOT getting a sound check out of any of these procedures

Old 06-27-2013, 08:38 PM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

Security horn FAILED????????

bob gauff

Old 06-28-2013, 05:21 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by marauder
Is there a reason why I am NOT getting a sound check out of any of these procedures

I have a 2000 xj8 and when i programed my fob by the light flashing method there was no beeps only the little red light near gear shifter flashed,
I then bought a used fob from ebay opened it up and cleaned all contacts with a rubber eraser and programed both again without problems and i only pressed a fob button once on each fob...
John...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Programming key fob