XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Pulling trigger on XJR?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 10:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 254 Posts

Yes Eric, it seems basically I can get the car for $800. It has $600 worth of brand new shocks on it, not to mention a couple hundred for the shock mounts. New EGR valve ($265) new Evap valve ($125), new spark plugs ($98) etc. Plus, the engine, transmission and differential were all in excellent shape. If anything fails on my new XJR I can just pull from the old one and replace it. Not to mention, when I'm completely done with it I can sell what's left for scrap; brings $400 to $500 in this area right now for a car that weight.

I don't want it in my yard, in our neighborhood.... but my church has some property with a small workshop where they said I am welcome to store the car (I used to be on the ministry staff). It's about 8 miles away, but that's not so bad.

Old 03-15-2017, 02:31 PM
Veteran Member

If I put a 4.6 watt (194) instrument panel bulb into a socket out of which came a 3.4 watt (158) bulb, is my car going to explode?

Old 03-15-2017, 05:39 PM
Veteran Member

Hey Maniqz,

I found the EGR valve. It has quick-steel caked on it where I was trying to repair what I "thought" was a vacuum leak. It turned out that wasn't the source of the leak, but by that time I'd already bought a new EGR valve. You are welcome to try it. P.M. me your mailing address. I will just mail it to you. Unless you have a UPS or FedEx account number or something it's easier for me to just pay. Maybe one day you'll send something to me? haha

Old 03-16-2017, 02:07 PM
Veteran Member

I replaced the O-ring and insert in the brake booster line connection to the throttle body adapter and improved the seal between the intake assembly and the throttle body, the two places smoke testing revealed leaks. I got the LTFT down to between 0 and +9 depending on RPM and load. They were around +18 before. Both banks remarkably even both before and after the repairs. Smoke testing revealed no other leaks so maybe the trims will improve as I drive since I did a hard reset after I fixed the two leaks.

Also got new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires today, they really ride wonderful. I always ran the tires between 26 and 29 PSI on the previous XJR because the ride was too harsh otherwise. The guy put 40 psi into them cold upon installation. I told him it would probably ride like a concrete truck. Amazingly, it rode pretty darn good! Steering was much more responsive, too. I lowered them to about 35 psi all around, much higher than I thought would be comfortable, but it's perfect. Responsive steering and smooth ride. Good times....

Old 03-18-2017, 06:34 PM
Veteran Member

The plugs in my new white XJR are NGK pfr5g-11e. It appears that is what the owners manual calls for? The PO says they were changed at 67,000 miles, so about 31,000 miles ago. They are platinum plugs. I have used NGK IFR5N10 plugs in all of my previous Jaguars but I don't want to just replace these if they are fine. Is 30,000 miles a lot for a Platinum plug? Is it time to replace them?

They do not look old enough to be original so I'm inclined to believe the previous owner about the time-frame that they were changed.

I have NGK IFR5N10 in my black Jaguar (parts car now) with about 6,000 miles on them. Is there a problem using those plugs again or should I just buy new?

Thanks.

Old 03-19-2017, 06:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 967 Likes on 766 Posts

Swap the plugs from your parts car.

Old 03-25-2017, 06:07 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by harvest14
Hey Maniqz,

I found the EGR valve. It has quick-steel caked on it where I was trying to repair what I "thought" was a vacuum leak. It turned out that wasn't the source of the leak, but by that time I'd already bought a new EGR valve. You are welcome to try it. P.M. me your mailing address. I will just mail it to you. Unless you have a UPS or FedEx account number or something it's easier for me to just pay. Maybe one day you'll send something to me? haha
Jeff...so the leak is still there? I will be at Liberty, NC this June 24 for my nephews wedding. How far are you from there? I might just drop by and pick it up and maybe take a peek at your XJR.
Maniqz

Old 03-27-2017, 09:48 AM
Veteran Member

Hey Maniqz,

I think that's about 45 minutes from me, not too bad. The leak turned out to be a difficult to diagnose valve/cam cover issue. I took off the aftermarket gasket and paid the money for an OEM, that seemed to fix the problem. Of course, that car is totaled now but thankfully life goes on...

Old 03-27-2017, 02:49 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey Maniqz,

I think that's about 45 minutes from me, not too bad. The leak turned out to be a difficult to diagnose valve/cam cover issue. I took off the aftermarket gasket and paid the money for an OEM, that seemed to fix the problem. Of course, that car is totaled now but thankfully life goes on...
Jeff I sent you a PM

Old 03-31-2017, 08:10 PM
Veteran Member

Ok, in the spirit of the origin of this thread (adventure of buying and fixing up an XJR) I submit a short list of what I've done to the new XJR that replaced the first one I shopped for and bought earlier in this thread.

1) Oil and filter change
2) New air and fuel filters
3) New Michelin tires
4) New Brembo rotors and Akebono pads all around
5) All brake fluid flushed out with new
6) Partial power steering fluid change with Lucas conditioner added
7) New CATS shocks and shock mounts up front
8) New sway bar links up front
9) New wood trim around shifter (only piece in car that was cracked)
10) New Burl wood shifter knob
11) Changed supercharger fluid
12) New coolant temperature sensor
13) New MAF
14) Changed differential fluid
15) New O-Ring where brake booster vacuum line meets TB adapter (was leaking)
16) New driver door window switch pack (lights were burned out)
17) New instrument panel bulbs (1 was burned out, replaced them all)
18) New spark plugs
19) Installed vent line for battery (wasn't one!)
20) Adjusted slack out of throttle cable
21) Brand new 3rd brake light (high mount)

It's possible I forgot a few things but hey, not bad for 3 weeks, huh? And that's while working full time.

The PO seems to have been telling the truth about the transmission. At 80 C the fluid is at the perfect level and looks/smells like good fluid. Shifts perfect.

This car is so fast. I don't know if the pulley upgrade done by the PO is acting as a placebo or if this thing actually feels more like a rocket than the previous one. Either way I'm having a blast.

Old 04-08-2017, 02:07 PM
Veteran Member

Any rule against re-using belts? The accessory belt and supercharger belt on my new XJR are a bit over 5 years old. The belts on my XJR parts car are about 8 months old (5,000 miles maybe?).

Swap them?

Old 04-13-2017, 07:53 AM
Veteran Member

Anybody have an opinion on the above belt question? Today is "go" time for the decision. Use my slightly used belts from another car, or buy new ones?

Thanks,

Old 04-13-2017, 11:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 475 Likes on 311 Posts

In one way the belts are like cars. Once purchased any new car is now a used car. Once installed any new belt becomes a "used" belt. I would say if they are in good shape go ahead and use them. They probably just won't last as long as a brand new belt. I would bet they would last a couple years, at least. Hey, I've bought used tires too.

Old 04-14-2017, 08:46 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks,

I am not a "re-use" guy by nature. Last year this time what is now my parts car was my new XJR and I lavished it with new parts and fluids. Now that I have another XJR I hate to see all of those new parts go to waste. I'm not too cheap to buy new belts, I just don't want throw out perfectly good parts that I just bought within the last year.

Upon inspection though I think the supercharger belt looks great but the accessory belt has some odd upper wear on it. They were both installed at the same time so perhaps there was something "off" about the last car that caused excessive accessory belt wear. I will probably just buy a new one.

Old 04-14-2017, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts

The manual should have a service interval for the belts. For the X300 they are about 50k adjustment and 100k miles replacement, but I wouldn't trust them to go that long and wouldn't reuse them personally. Since you're already "in there" and belts are inexpensive, it is cheap insurance to know the baseline on a consumable.

For the X300, I thought the service interval for the supercharger belt is shorter although the manual I have doesn't indicate any special treatment for the SC belt. But you might check if the X308 SC belt has a shorter interval.

I replaced my SC belt about 40k ago, and it is squealing already. Probably just need to tighten it, but I have a replacement already.

Old 04-14-2017, 03:19 PM
Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Thanks,

I am not a "re-use" guy by nature. Last year this time what is now my parts car was my new XJR and I lavished it with new parts and fluids. Now that I have another XJR I hate to see all of those new parts go to waste. I'm not too cheap to buy new belts, I just don't want throw out perfectly good parts that I just bought within the last year.

Upon inspection though I think the supercharger belt looks great but the accessory belt has some odd upper wear on it. They were both installed at the same time so perhaps there was something "off" about the last car that caused excessive accessory belt wear. I will probably just buy a new one.
I would keep the old belt as a spare in the boot so if something were to happen out on the road, you have a solution. I keep a spare belt for every one on the car and a tool bag in the boot just to be safe. My car runs flawlessly but I've been caught off guard by other cars I've owned and learned my lesson.

Old 04-23-2017, 06:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,019 Likes on 740 Posts
Old 04-23-2017, 07:09 PM
Veteran Member

You car shopping KC? That carnival red one looks nice! I don't like the dark interior though...

Last edited by harvest14; 04-23-2017 at 07:11 PM.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,351 Likes on 926 Posts

You car shopping KC? That carnival red one looks nice! I don't like the dark interior though...
But that first one looks absolutely horrendous, especially the interior, what a shame ...

Old 04-23-2017, 07:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,019 Likes on 740 Posts

My son will be driving soon (that's my excuse lol).

Quick Reply: Pulling trigger on XJR?