XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Radio wiring help please...2001 XJ8

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 09:29 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Radio wiring help please...2001 XJ8

2001 XJ8 VDP, Premium In-Car Entertainment Package

Calling all XJ8 radio wiring experts...HELP!

The wiring that was unplugged from my stock unit is confusing to me. The wiring color code in the XJ Series Sedan 2001 Electrical Guide does not show a link between the wires available that were unplugged from the stock radio to the actual speaker wires because they are on the other side of the amp. How are you supposed to match up all the speakers and wires in the Premium In-Car Entertainment Package which includes the sub-woofer with the JVC wiring harness for my new radio?

THIS IS THE JVC HARNESS THAT CAME WITH MY NEW RADIO
Radio wiring help please...2001 XJ8-p5210078.jpg

THIS IS THE UNPLUGGED WIRING FROM THE STOCK RADIO
Radio wiring help please...2001 XJ8-p5200071.jpg

Last edited by Cadillac; 05-26-2010 at 04:36 AM. Reason: Image Restored for viewing
Old 05-26-2010, 12:23 AM
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

None of your images came through in the post - but clicking on them does bring them up. Answer to your question is -with difficulty and help from someone expert in the process. You need to drive the amplifer with the head unit, not the speakers... or remove and wire around the amplifier altogether, directly to the speakers. You can get connector adapters that plug into the harness connectors and can be wired to the output of your new stereo.

Last edited by QuadManiac; 05-26-2010 at 12:34 AM.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,618 Likes on 874 Posts

Hi XJ8vdp
We are looking for help on how to find a way to install a switch to stop the antenna from going up when we just want to use the CD player.

Your photo shows the existing stock radio plugins. There is a Green/Black stripe wire going into the Yellow Plugin connector. I think that this Green/Black stripe wire is the one that goes to the power antenna motor.

Do we have to remove the radio to get access to this yellow plugin?

Also is it necessary to remove the veneer and leather covers around the gearstick to be able to bring the wires into the center console glovebox after splicing 2 new wires into the Green/Black wire.

These 2 new wires will go to a new switch that will be installed in the center console glovebox.

Please review the posting in this thread below:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...xj8-xjr-58892/

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 08-29-2011 at 07:33 PM.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:32 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's not a simple task with the premium system. I installed an Alpine unit last year in my 2000 Xjr and it took the better part of the afternoon.
Im sure there are a couple ways to do it, but i actually ended up bypassing the amp and hardwiring the speakers to the connector found in the rear driver kick panel. Unfortunately no one makes a wiring adapter for our car, but you can find a face plate kit on ebay.
Good luck and let me know if I can help in any way.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how do you remove the head unit?

Old 04-13-2017, 05:51 PM
Default 2001 xj8 stereo wire harness

Did you ever ever find a wire harness for this car?

Originally Posted by xj8vdp
2001 XJ8 VDP, Premium In-Car Entertainment Package

Calling all XJ8 radio wiring experts...HELP!

The wiring that was unplugged from my stock unit is confusing to me. The wiring color code in the XJ Series Sedan 2001 Electrical Guide does not show a link
between the wires available that were
unplugged from the stock radio to the actual speaker wires because they are on the other side of the amp. How are you supposed to match up all the speakers and wires in the Premium In-Car Entertainment Package which includes the sub-woofer with the JVC wiring harness for my new radio?

THIS IS THE JVC HARNESS THAT CAME WITH MY NEW RADIO
Attachment 3625

THIS IS THE UNPLUGGED WIRING FROM THE STOCK RADIO
Attachment 3626

Old 04-13-2017, 07:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 487 Likes on 370 Posts

With any system that has an amp in the back you will need to get a reverse harness that connects in place of the amp in the trunk, then run that wiring from the connector in the trunk to the speaker outputs of the head unit. See http://jagrepair.com/images/AutoRepa.../jagxj2001.pdf

That manual will have the connector type for the factory amp out, so if you could find the corresponding other-gender connector in an aftermarket harness, and the pinout is correct, that would work. Or you could buy the connector and build your own harness, but I'd imagine one is out there.

Last edited by nilanium; 04-13-2017 at 07:53 PM.
Old 03-03-2018, 12:46 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Also

Originally Posted by nilanium
With any system that has an amp in the back you will need to get a reverse harness that connects in place of the amp in the trunk, then run that wiring from the connector in the trunk to the speaker outputs of the head unit. See http://jagrepair.com/images/AutoRepa.../jagxj2001.pdf

That manual will have the connector type for the factory amp out, so if you could find the corresponding other-gender connector in an aftermarket harness, and the pinout is correct, that would work. Or you could buy the connector and build your own harness, but I'd imagine one is out there.
Also need help , I have my stereo out already, and can' find the color codes for this harness anywhere , I have absolutely no idea of where to even start , and I have no access to jtis, I don' even own a computer , all I have is my phone , it' a 2003 jaguar super v8
if anyone can tell me where to find the right information it would be so greatly appreciated, I'm at a total loss here

Old 03-03-2018, 04:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,383 Likes on 1,087 Posts

2003.5 :

http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto...agxj2003.5.pdf.....see page 73 and 74 and verify VIN # for applicability .

See part catalog for radio control head part number dealing with :

https://www.jaguarclassicparts.com/u...assette-player

Does it have the up/down/left/right 4 sided switch pattern as the model AJ2000W or not as the AJ9800A?

If you open the radio cover the pinout is sometimes printed on the board .

The library computers have a flash drive you can take to the Office Max or like to print it off in the larger size you want . Don't brag about what it is for .

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 03-03-2018 at 05:08 PM.
Old 03-03-2018, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Lady Penelope
2003.5 :

http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto...agxj2003.5.pdf.....see page 73 and 74 and verify VIN # for applicability .
I'e found the wires I was looking for, thank you, but I have a US 2003 super v8 , sorry I didn't specify

Old 03-03-2018, 04:58 PM
Default Wiring Woes

Originally Posted by TN8Shooter
It's not a simple task with the premium system. I installed an Alpine unit last year in my 2000 Xjr and it took the better part of the afternoon.
Im sure there are a couple ways to do it, but i actually ended up bypassing the amp and hardwiring the speakers to the connector found in the rear driver kick panel. Unfortunately no one makes a wiring adapter for our car, but you can find a face plate kit on ebay.
Good luck and let me know if I can help in any way.
By rear kick plate do you mean the fuse box cover under the rear passenger seats ? I'e finally managed to get power to my head unit , but I'm still lost on how to wire the speaker connections , and the way you did it sounds better then any idea I can come up with . Thank you in advance for any reply!!!

Old 02-11-2019, 07:57 PM
Default Can someone just answer the question!!??

Originally Posted by 97xj6lucy
Also need help , I have my stereo out already, and can' find the color codes for this harness anywhere , I have absolutely no idea of where to even start , and I have no access to jtis, I don' even own a computer , all I have is my phone , it' a 2003 jaguar super v8
if anyone can tell me where to find the right information it would be so greatly appreciated, I'm at a total loss here
Seriously not one of you can positively say the black wire is .... the white wire is ... the green and black wire is .....? Forget about the stupid amp just answe the question. Identify the function for each color that’s all he wants to know?

Old 02-11-2019, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Ryan Marich

Seriously not one of you can positively say the black wire is .... the white wire is ... the green and black wire is .....? Forget about the stupid amp just answe the question. Identify the function for each color that’s all he wants to know?
I have successfully decoded the colors on the US 2003 Super V8 with premium sound system , by cutting the connectors off and cross referencing the pin out numbers to the wite colors , i just havnt gotten around to putting it in document form and sharing a link to the document on this thread , but i hope to have it uploaded soon , black is ground , white is accessory to the key, and both brown and green wires 12v constant , sorry im drawing a blank on the correct term for the accessory wire I hope that helps !

Old 07-15-2019, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by 97xj6lucy
I have successfully decoded the colors on the US 2003 Super V8 with premium sound system , by cutting the connectors off and cross referencing the pin out numbers to the wite colors , i just havnt gotten around to putting it in document form and sharing a link to the document on this thread , but i hope to have it uploaded soon , black is ground , white is accessory to the key, and both brown and green wires 12v constant , sorry im drawing a blank on the correct term for the accessory wire I hope that helps !
Any luck on getting that document done? Would love to see it. I am getting prepared to install a aftermarket unit into my 2001 Jaguar Vanden plas. I want to make sure I am prepared before messing everything up.

Old 07-15-2019, 07:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,768 Likes on 1,302 Posts

If you bookmark this... JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource
...you can find this... http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto.../jagxj1998.pdf
...and then you'll see this...

Old 11-21-2019, 12:04 AM
Default Antenna Adapters

Hello: Guys I am attempting to install an aftermarket Radio on my 03 Jaguar XJ Vanden Plas with 4.0 Engine, Alpine system. Does any one know about the antenna wire, do I need an adapter to make it work with an aftermarket stereo? Would any one know a part # etc?

Old 11-21-2019, 06:25 AM
Veteran Member

Plugs in like all antennas...right into the black barreled connector. If you want to see a nice install, check out LaserSVT's install... https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ag-xjr-216855/ ...and use the Search in the top right...plenty of threads on the subject. Here's mine a few years ago when I eliminated the popup mast... https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ve-one-103359/

This may help you with the new head unit... https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...5/#post1491946 ...its the same I posted in SVT's thread.

Last edited by Highhorse; 11-21-2019 at 06:29 AM.
Old 11-21-2019, 11:38 AM

Thank you I appreciate it, I also reviewed the mast write up and I'm also going to do it as well.

Originally Posted by Highhorse
Plugs in like all antennas...right into the black barreled connector. If you want to see a nice install, check out LaserSVT's install... https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ag-xjr-216855/ ...and use the Search in the top right...plenty of threads on the subject. Here's mine a few years ago when I eliminated the popup mast... https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ve-one-103359/

This may help you with the new head unit... https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...5/#post1491946 ...its the same I posted in SVT's thread.

Old 12-11-2020, 09:52 AM
Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

I have a 2000 Vanden Plas with premium sound system. Sound started to only come from the tiny tweeters and on the pillars. I replaced the amp but still no joy. Any ideas why it's not playing through the main speakers?!

Old 12-11-2020, 04:57 PM
Veteran Member

Post 15 is the premium system diagram. Are you saying your system was working, then suddenly you have this issue?

Quick Reply: Radio wiring help please...2001 XJ8